Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:32 AM

Arizona Immigration Has a Good Day at the Supreme Court

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/26/us...m.html?_r=2&hp

"Justices across the ideological spectrum appeared inclined on Wednesday to uphold a controversial part of Arizona’s aggressive 2010 immigration law, based on their questions at a Supreme Court argument."

When common sense meets reality, absent hysterics, maybe what's left is the right thing to do. Also, I think this is the most accurate statement of the day from Justice Roberts: "It seems to me that the federal government just doesn’t want to know who is here illegally or not."
Old 04-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post

"Justices across the ideological spectrum appeared inclined on Wednesday to uphold a controversial part of Arizona’s aggressive 2010 immigration law, based on their questions at a Supreme Court argument."

When common sense meets reality, absent hysterics, maybe what's left is the right thing to do. Also, I think this is the most accurate statement of the day from Justice Roberts: "It seems to me that the federal government just doesn’t want to know who is here illegally or not."
Yet Obama has deported more illegals than any before him?

One part of that law that may bite legals as well as illegals is the police vrifying citizenship. Now I don't carry my certificate as it is rather bulky. If I am stopped, say around midnight it could take until the next morning to geta response from Washington. They claim it only takes ten minutes - after you have been queued up for over an hour.

BTW using Justice Roberts and common sense in the same breath is really funny.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:43 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Justice Roberts: "It seems to me that the federal government just doesn’t want to know who is here illegally or not."
I think that to the degree it serves a political agenda (on either side), then they care. Otherwise not.

Interestingly, the AZ law prohibits illegals from seeking work. It doesn't prohibit employers from offering work though. You can be sure that the hospitality and construction industries don't want enforcement of the rules.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:31 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
You can also bet that a lot of American Indians get stopped for no reason beyond appearance in AZ.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:

That's swell Whell.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:44 PM

When Arizona makes sure Joe Arpaio can no longer be in law enforcement is when I'll start to take anything they do seriously.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:46 PM
Admin

I'll wait for the decision, too much is made of the questions asked by the justices. It's a bit like calling an election with 5% of the votes being tallied.
Much is made of dems wanting increased immigration to bolster their ranks but I don't know any dems who want illegal immigration. Now as to businessmen wanting it as a source of cheap labor there seems to be quite a bit of anecdotal evidence of their preference for it, although few will admit that as none would want to have a INS raid putting their sweatshops out of business.

For this once I'll leave the other elephant in the room out of my opinion. Zeke's already covered that one.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
When Arizona makes sure Joe Arpaio can no longer be in law enforcement is when I'll start to take anything they do seriously.
This from somebody who lives in the San Fransico part of Cali.
We will NEVER take anything you say seriously.
Go get a life!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Admin

Deej, she's from that Republican stronghold Palm Springs. Much closer to Arizonia than San Franciso. Which woodchipper did you get?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I'll wait for the decision, too much is made of the questions asked by the justices. It's a bit like calling an election with 5% of the votes being tallied.
Much is made of dems wanting increased immigration to bolster their ranks but I don't know any dems who want illegal immigration. Now as to businessmen wanting it as a source of cheap labor there seems to be quite a bit of anecdotal evidence of their preference for it, although few will admit that as none would want to have a INS raid putting their sweatshops out of business.

For this once I'll leave the other elephant in the room out of my opinion. Zeke's already covered that one.
They asked Sonny Bono what he thought of illegal immigration and he replied, "I thought it was illegal."

It's illegal, either enforce the laws or change 'em. What we have now is bullshit.

Chas