Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Yeh, they think of fighting the holidays crowds to buy obligatory and unwanted, Chinese-made junk just like the clowns on Madison Ave. want them to do. It's Madison Ave. (along with Coca Cola, of all people) who took the Christ out of Christmas, not liberals.

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/...nkensteins.php
Thank you.

Dave
Old 11-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Loyal Opposition

No one is going to ruin Christmas for me. It brings up wonderful childhood memories of anticipation; of early mornings; of picking out the gift that made my grandma cry; of far-flung family members getting together.

Later on, as a parent, the childhood memories were re-activated - and the anticipation returned - with just a little different perspective.

We decorate the tree every year, finding plenty of space for the ornaments the kids have made through the years. Part of the decorations consist of candy canes, which by the end of the season are one decoration we don't have to put up, because they have all disappeared.

It has still meant getting together with family, and hopefully will continue to provide such gatherings, perhaps with grandchildren in the future.

It means the Christmas Eve candlelight service - it still moves me to see the sanctuary lit entirely by candlelight as everyone sings Silent Night.

It means I fix biscuits and gravy for Christmas brunch - the big meal waits until we get to Oklahoma.

Try as they might, Madison Avenue, the Department of Agriculture; the Moral Majority, the ACLU, the Tea Party, the Underwear Bomber, the NBA lockout - none of them are big enough to ruin it for me.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-10-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
try as they might, madison avenue, the department of agriculture; the moral majority, the aclu, the tea party, the underwear bomber, the nba lockout - none of them are big enough to ruin it for me.

Regards,

d-ray
+1 ......
Old 11-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
No one is going to ruin Christmas for me. It brings up wonderful childhood memories of anticipation; of early mornings; of picking out the gift that made my grandma cry; of far-flung family members getting together.

Later on, as a parent, the childhood memories were re-activated - and the anticipation returned - with just a little different perspective.

We decorate the tree every year, finding plenty of space for the ornaments the kids have made through the years. Part of the decorations consist of candy canes, which by the end of the season are one decoration we don't have to put up, because they have all disappeared.

It has still meant getting together with family, and hopefully will continue to provide such gatherings, perhaps with grandchildren in the future.

It means the Christmas Eve candlelight service - it still moves me to see the sanctuary lit entirely by candlelight as everyone sings Silent Night.

It means I fix biscuits and gravy for Christmas brunch - the big meal waits until we get to Oklahoma.

Try as they might, Madison Avenue, the Department of Agriculture; the Moral Majority, the ACLU, the Tea Party, the Underwear Bomber, the NBA lockout - none of them are big enough to ruin it for me.

Regards,

D-Ray
I agree. No one is going to deny me my special day with my pathetic plastic tree, pagan rituals and blatant consumerism either. Rolling the "Christmas Music" tape that contains the usual great songs with Leroy Anderson, Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, etc., as I slowly murder my own braincells with expensive Scottish distillates is a fine tradition that will endure as long as I endure.

Dave
Old 11-10-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I agree. No one is going to deny me my special day with my pathetic plastic tree, pagan rituals and blatant consumerism either. Rolling the "Christmas Music" tape that contains the usual great songs with Leroy Anderson, Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, etc., as I slowly murder my own braincells with expensive Scottish distillates is a fine tradition that will endure as long as I endure.

Dave
After checking everyone's schedule...I'll spend the evening by staying home and getting drunk with the little dog.

I kinda like that lame Christmas music too...other than Alvin and the Chipmunks.

And don't knock the plastic tree. There is something about a cheap, POS made in China plastic tree that truly captures the spirit of modern Christmas.

But we're purists, we use a live spruce. I steal it from the Boy Scouts in the middle of the night.

Chas
Old 11-11-2011, 07:51 AM
Resident octogenarian

Since there are only the two of us we no longer decorate for Christmas, t'would be different if the granddaughters were to be here. So no Chritmas tree or Channukah Bush.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Well said D. I'll be stopping by for some biscuits and gravy! :drool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
... There is something about a cheap, POS made in China plastic tree that truly captures the spirit of modern Christmas.

ROTFLMAO!!!! Beautiful.

Pete
Old 11-11-2011, 08:43 AM

The tree tax is no more. Evidently after thinking it over, the administration has withdrawn the tree tax. The tree industry has tried to get the individual tree farmers to support a promotional program but failed to get enough support from the farmers. The solution was to appeal to the federal government to force a fee upon all the tree farmers. The issue is whether the federal government should be involved in such promotions that can't garner the money from the industry directly to support the promotion and not the size of the tax. In this case, the administration's timing was poor and the political fallout caused a reversal of the policy.

I'm now back to a blissful Christmas filled with lots of spirits.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Well said D. I'll be stopping by for some biscuits and gravy! :drool:

ROTFLMAO!!!! Beautiful.

Pete
Unfortunately, the things I am best at cooking are the things that are worst for you. That is, except for the bean soup which is good four your heart.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
After checking everyone's schedule...I'll spend the evening by staying home and getting drunk with the little dog.

I kinda like that lame Christmas music too...other than Alvin and the Chipmunks.

And don't knock the plastic tree. There is something about a cheap, POS made in China plastic tree that truly captures the spirit of modern Christmas.

But we're purists, we use a live spruce. I steal it from the Boy Scouts in the middle of the night.

Chas
Actually, my POS plastic tree was "Made in the USA", believe it, or not. In an ancient, crappy, low wage, shithole of a factory right here in Right to Work State Virginia!

After looking at my own schedule, I'll get to spend my Christmas-------WORKING!

Dave