Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The finest legal minds of our nation haven't quite figured that one out.

BTW, do you still possess a firearm after leaving you law enforcement career?

Chas
Sure.

Properly CCW registered as a Florida non-resident, training out the wazoo.

I am not anti-gun any more than I am anti-shovel but I've seen idiots wield both.

Only the gun killed.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:01 AM
Area Man

On the one incident where I had reason to believe a man was trying to invade my home, the prospect of getting his punkin' smashed with an ax handle was enough to send his sorry ass sprinting down the road.

Dave
Old 11-22-2011, 08:30 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
A person should have to prove they are capable of using the firearm safely and pass a background along with a Psychological check. Then get a license to show that you are qualified.
And therein lies the rub, that whackjob that shot Gabby was not listed in the database that ALL states are supposed to keep on unstable people.

Hell even in the hands of the police innocent people are not safe. there have been any number of No Knock warerants where they got the address wrong and the homeowner was killed because they tried to defend themselves.

Gun control laws should be sensible and enforceable - and enforced. NRA aside I should not be able to go to a gun show and buy any weapon without a background check, or buy one online and have it delivered by anyone other than an FFL licensed dealer.

Just my $0.02.

PS: Not only in gunfights, I learned very young that the Marquis of Queensbury was an idiot. If somebody wants to beat on you disable him as quickly and efficiently as possible with whatever is at hand.

Last edited by merrylander; 11-22-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:48 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)
Old 11-22-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
And therein lies the rub, that whackjob that shot Gabby was not listed in the database that ALL states are supposed to keep on unstable people.

Hell even in the hands of the police innocent people are not safe. there have been any number of No Knock warerants where they got the address wrong and the homeowner was killed because they tried to defend themselves.

Gun control laws should be sensible and enforceable - and enforced. NRA aside I should not be able to go to a gun show and buy any weapon without a background check, or buy one online and have it delivered by anyone other than an FFL licensed dealer.

Just my $0.02.

PS: Not only in gunfights, I learned very young that the Marquis of Queensbury was an idiot. If somebody wants to beat on you disable him as quickly and efficiently as possible with whatever is at hand.
If you're purchasing from a dealer, he can only ship to another dealer, he can't ship directly to the purchaser. I don't think that even an individual seller can legally sell firearms via the internet or by the mail.

Don't know much about gun shows, other than the two I attended seemed priced a little high. I'm ASSUMING that most sellers there are dealers and not private sellers, at least when it comes to firearms.

Now a purchaser can buy black powder firearms directly without a NICS check.

Chas
Old 11-22-2011, 10:07 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If you're purchasing from a dealer, he can only ship to another dealer, he can't ship directly to the purchaser. I don't think that even an individual seller can legally sell firearms via the internet or by the mail.

Don't know much about gun shows, other than the two I attended seemed priced a little high. I'm ASSUMING that most sellers there are dealers and not private sellers, at least when it comes to firearms.

Now a purchaser can buy black powder firearms directly without a NICS check.

Chas
I guess the news reports were not clear but I got the inpression that the nutjob who shot up VA Tech bought his weapons mail order.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:14 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I guess the news reports were not clear but I got the inpression that the nutjob who shot up VA Tech bought his weapons mail order.
Nope. I believe he bought one at a gun store in Roanoke and one in Blacksburg. As Chas states, you cannot mail order guns (except blackpowder arms and non-functioning replicas) without an FFL.