Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:11 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
I suppose that's a possibility. Reckon how many Americans are really as pissed off about Waco and Weavers as FOX tries to suggest, eh? I would hope it would be a significant minority.

But let's say full scale militia/wacky-prepper revolt breaks out and the government, fearing accusations from FOX of over-reaction, gets all complacent about it. That's when whatever social conscience I have remaining about what will become of this country goes south for good. That's when we take advantage of the blonde's dual citizenship and off we go to some quiet corner of the EU where the healthcare is great, the weather is great, the neighborhood is great, the food is great, and where, for the most part, anti-government headcases are looked upon as the miscreants they are.
You don't get how civil violence works. There would not be complacency, there would be violence in response to violence, with both sides swelling in power as each 'justifies' the other. Did you see that pic someone posted of the 'Brown Berets' looking all paramilitary?

You think the country is polarized now? We haven't seen anything. Of course, all this just makes your thought of bolting all the more sensible.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I think that smart Republicans (a dying breed, it seems) realize the pickle they're in. However, trying to appeal to people other than southern rednecks (i.e., blacks, Hispanics, gays ...) will alienate their solid redneck base. For every voter they win in these new constituency, they'll lose an alienated, resentful redneck. With their Mississippi primary fiasco, it seems they may lose the 'Baggers without gaining the blacks. Serves them right.
I really like your signature.

At least in Mississippi, they recognized that if this Tea Party were in charge, their roots would definitely have been severed. I hope this is the beginning of change and the left begins to take care of the roots.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:16 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanishingPoi View Post
I really like your signature.

At least in Mississippi, they recognized that if this Tea Party were in charge, their roots would definitely have been severed. I hope this is the beginning of change and the left begins to take care of the roots.
I take it you know the source of my avatar and signature. If not, it's from the wonderful film Being There.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I take it you know the source of my avatar and signature. If not, it's from the wonderful film Being There.
I did not know that but now I think I will watch the film.

I may have seen it many years ago but I can't remember. If I can't remember, it means it is time to see it again.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:45 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanishingPoi View Post
I did not know that but now I think I will watch the film.

I may have seen it many years ago but I can't remember. If I can't remember, it means it is time to see it again.
Great film, I believe Peter Sellers' best (with great performances from Jack Warden and Shirley MacLaine). Really funny and replete with social and political commentary/satire.

http://www.allmovie.com/movie/being-there-v4708
Old 07-13-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Great film, I believe Peter Sellers' best (with great performances from Jack Warden and Shirley MacLaine). Really funny and replete with social and political commentary/satire.

http://www.allmovie.com/movie/being-there-v4708

I have Netflix, therefore, I know where I will be tonight. Looks like a really good movie. Thank you.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
You don't get how civil violence works. There would not be complacency, there would be violence in response to violence, with both sides swelling in power as each 'justifies' the other. Did you see that pic someone posted of the 'Brown Berets' looking all paramilitary?

You think the country is polarized now? We haven't seen anything. Of course, all this just makes your thought of bolting all the more sensible.
IMHO I get how civil violence works just fine.