Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:45 AM
Resident octogenarian

Let whoever wants a tree string the damn lights on it.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:03 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Dave, it's silly, but the atheists aren't? Come'on now, someone driving by the menorah I mentioned is such a blithering idiot that they need to make a federal case out of it?

I'm perfectly OK with the menorah, the cresent, etc.

It might cause many sleepless nights to know the on the Jefferson memorial - a public memorial! - Jefferson is quoted (right there for everyone to see! The awful horror!) mentioning God 7 times.

Better chisel them off. "..can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with his wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever . . " - TJ

Saw a show long ago, they interviewed some atheists, one spent his free time crossing out 'In God We Trust' off money, and another got mad every time someone said 'God Bless You' when she sneezed

Pete
Old 12-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Area Man

No they all are. Atheists too. They look for the fight and others now go around deliberately provoking them for the same purpose.....Just to pick a fight. This is what I call; "juvenile shit".

Jefferson was a (somewhat) religious man who spoke of a "....high and impenetrable..." wall of separation between church and state. And for good....heck, GREAT reason. But, because someone carved a quote of his, that contains religious speech, into a piece of granite we now have some people who think this means America is a "Christian Nation"* and it's okay to begin setting up what, to me, looks, sounds and smells like Theocracy.

Before I get too far off on that tangent;

My point is; It is not a so-called "Attack on Christianity" in the greater so-called "War on Religion" to expect the wall of separation to be upheld. So, Atheists resent their tax money being used to advance someone elses religious beliefs.........

What is the big deal? No religious icons on public property. Keep it in the church, temple, mosque and/or at home.

Just what is so hard to understand about that? Why MUST the icon be present on the publically funded structure?

Regards,
Dave

*(To my mind, this phrase implies exclusivity. A predominant demographic is not exclusivity. It does not mean the dominant religion has any right to assert any influence over others. It's merely a head count.)

Last edited by BlueStreak; 12-07-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Dave, it's silly, but the atheists aren't? Come'on now, someone driving by the menorah I mentioned is such a blithering idiot that they need to make a federal case out of it?

Pete
It's really simple. No religious icons anywhere on public property anytime. Why? Because Christians have forced the issue, not atheists or anyone else.

Change the constitution if you don't like it.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

It might cause many sleepless nights to know the on the Jefferson memorial - a public memorial! - Jefferson is quoted (right there for everyone to see! The awful horror!) mentioning God 7 times.

Better chisel them off. "..can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with his wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever . . " - TJ

Saw a show long ago, they interviewed some atheists, one spent his free time crossing out 'In God We Trust' off money, and another got mad every time someone said 'God Bless You' when she sneezed

Pete
You need to do a little research on Jefferson and the "quotes" chiselled into his memorial. They are out of context BS "quotes". Jefferson was a Deist who strived to be a Unitarian. God to Jefferson did not mean a Christian God.

Here, wade through this if you please.

http://www.monticello.org/site/jeffe...erson-memorial

As far as the money goes, "In god We Trust" was on 1800's coins and was not on bills until the 50's. Once again it does not specify a Christian God. It could be Ra the sun good for all I know.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Take THAT! All you folks who think that Christmas Trees is just a mis-applied pagan symbol, I guess you don't know what you're talking about!!

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_221...omplex-newhall

Anybody wanna take bets about whether or not the management company were Obama voters or not?
I think the management, in this case, are assholes.

If you think for one minute nursing homes support democrats I got a bridge over the Golden Gate I want to sell you. They may want Medicare to survive but, they support nothing else Democratic.

Most nursing homes/assisted living homes are owned by large hospitals. If you burp the wrong way they rush you to the hospital....until you run out of money, then they let you die. Don't ask me how I know.

RIP dad after spending a million bucks over ten years in the nursing home.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Admin

In God We Trust! All others pay cash... They forgot the second half.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
You need to do a little research on Jefferson and the "quotes" chiselled into his memorial. They are out of context BS "quotes". Jefferson was a Deist who strived to be a Unitarian. God to Jefferson did not mean a Christian God.

Here, wade through this if you please.

http://www.monticello.org/site/jeffe...erson-memorial

As far as the money goes, "In god We Trust" was on 1800's coins and was not on bills until the 50's. Once again it does not specify a Christian God. It could be Ra the sun good for all I know.
And then there are all those "Jefferson quotes" floating around not a word of which he ever said. Pathetic, isn't it, what people will do to create an aura of verisimilitude and historical relevance around any old half-baked notion.

John
Old 12-08-2012, 06:46 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
And then there are all those "Jefferson quotes" floating around not a word of which he ever said. Pathetic, isn't it, what people will do to create an aura of verisimilitude and historical relevance around any old half-baked notion.

John
I would surmize that a good 60% of our "history" is made up, such as "The Alamo", etc.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
It's really simple. No religious icons anywhere on public property anytime. Why? Because Christians have forced the issue, not atheists or anyone else.

Change the constitution if you don't like it.
Yes, the Christians forced the issue by placing the same nativity scenes they've been using since forever where they always placed them at the time they always did

It cracks me up, the backflips done by those who would rewrite history to their liking.

Pete