Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:49 AM
Persona non grata

[QUOTE=finnbow;343303]Except you, Tom Joad, and ZeroJunk - the 3 Musketeers of Trump sycophancy. In fact, you all look so very cute in your cheerleader outfits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
...and Trumpolini stiffed those little girls. Stay kkklassy Donnie.

If someone had told me a few months ago that the Democrats would one day be acting more batshit crazy than the T-Party I would have laughed at them.

But here we are.

Congratulations Idiots.

You've broken the Baggers bat shit crazy record by a country mile, and Trump hasn't even taken office. It looks like the sky is the limit for you Dudes!
Old 01-04-2017, 08:22 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Two more posts where the respondents want to make the thread about me, rather than the good news about what Ford is doing. Nothing new here folks. Let's move along.
What has occurred in this thread is that you have shown your gullibility about what just occurred in Michigan. Ford decides to expand its efforts on electric and self-driving vehicles in Michigan to the tune of 700 new jobs while it cancelled plans to build another factory in Mexico to build more Focus small cars (instead modestly increasing the production of the Focus at another Mexican factory by adding 200 jobs there). The reason for cancelling the new Mexican plant was reduced demand for the Focus, allowing them to meet the projected demand without investing $1.6 billion in the new plant.

These (mutually independent) decisions were made 3 weeks before Trump becomes President and months to years before any meaningful tax changes or import tariffs (illegal under NAFTA, BTW) could be passed and implemented (if passed at all). The contents and likelihood of passage of any such changes is unknown, as are their impacts upon Ford. Yet, Ford chooses to flatter Trump by saying that his policies had something to do with their decision (just as the SoftBank CEO did earlier), knowing that they could thereby curry Trump's favor (without doing anything they didn't plan to do anyway). Trump tweets about his responsibility for Ford's decision and you buy it, hook, line and sinker.

How's that for substance?
Old 01-04-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
What has occurred in this thread is that you have shown your gullibility about what just occurred in Michigan. Ford decides to expand its efforts on electric and self-driving vehicles in Michigan to the tune of 700 new jobs while it cancelled plans to build another factory in Mexico to build more Focus small cars (instead modestly increasing the production of the Focus at another Mexican factory by adding 200 jobs there). The reason for cancelling the new Mexican plant was reduced demand for the Focus, allowing them to meet the projected demand without investing $1.6 billion in the new plant.

These (mutually independent) decisions were made 3 weeks before Trump becomes President and months to years before any meaningful tax changes or import tariffs (illegal under NAFTA, BTW) could be passed and implemented (if passed at all). The contents and likelihood of passage of any such changes is unknown, as are their impacts upon Ford. Yet, Ford chooses to flatter Trump by saying that his policies had something to do with their decision (just as the SoftBank CEO did earlier), knowing that they could thereby curry Trump's favor (without doing anything they didn't plan to do anyway). Trump tweets about his responsibility for Ford's decision and you buy it, hook, line and sinker.

Your "substance" is nothing that couldn't have been gleaned from the article I posted, with the exception of the "flattery" angle which is just a rehash of old, tired crap. So, your "substance" may simply be evidence that you finally decided to go back and read what I originally posted.

Your focus in the flattery angle is fine if you want to engage in the lightweight end of the debate. But I think Mark Fields pretty publicly dispensed with that when he specifically said that Trump was not involved in the decision-making process.

You'd have to be a freaking village idiot (or an avowed lefty) to look at the history of this and exclude Trump as an influence. Whether, as Mark Fields indicated, its a belief in the development of a more business - friendly climate, or specifically targeting Ford with his comments following the Ford's announcement to build the Mexico plant, there was certainly some influence. "Substance" would be a discussion about the merits or risks of this type of influence.

Also, I think you've got the details regarding the production of the Ford Focus wrong. Demand for the Focus - which was HUGE when the vehicle was first introduced - has been tapering off for a while now, but its still selling pretty well. The Focus remains and important vehicle for Ford because it can be sold world wide, and because its a good "entry level" vehicle domestically.

Ford had previously announced its intentions to move ALL of its small car production - which includes the Focus - to Mexico. That's what the new plant in Mexico was for. Monday's announcement will keep the production of Ford Focus vehicles bound for the US market in Flat Rock, MI where they are currently being produced. The current Mexican plant will continue to product Ford Focus vehicles intended for the export market, and the workforce there will to support production for the export market.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:29 AM
Area Man

Once again a move is made that has little to do with Trump, beyond a top executive commenting that his company has "confidence" in the president-elect and policies that have as yet to become law, and out come the brass bands and fireworks to celebrate the new king and his glorious reign.

This is easily the best entertainment I've had since gleeful Republicans informed me that Reagan had "ended Communism".

I love you guys, you truly are a hoot.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Once again a move is made that has little to do with Trump, beyond a top executive commenting that his company has "confidence" in the president-elect and policies that have as yet to become law, and out come the brass bands and fireworks to celebrate the new king and his glorious reign.

This is easily the best entertainment I've had since gleeful Republicans informed me that Reagan had "ended Communism".

I love you guys, you truly are a hoot.
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...lays/96134996/

Ford Motor Co. already got the message. As part of a sweeping announcement detailing the company’s vision for next-generation mobility, the Blue Oval said it is canceling plans to build a new assembly plant in Mexico. Trump openly criticized the plan throughout his campaign, even as senior Ford officials publicly defended the decision as recently as last month.

Instead, as part of a $4.5 billion investment in electrification and self-driving vehicles, Ford will invest $700 million in its Flat Rock Assembly Plant, create 700 jobs, establish a Manufacturing Innovation Center and produce electrified versions of its iconic F-150 pickup and Mustang sports car in Michigan.

The decisions are a political win for Trump and Vice President-elect Mike Pence, who were briefed separately by phone on Ford’s plans earlier Tuesday by Executive Chairman Bill Ford Jr. and CEO Mark Fields. Trump’s Build America rhetoric on the campaign trail powered his victory in the industrial Midwest, put American businesses like Ford and GM, Boeing Co. and Lockheed Martin Corp. on notice and could redraw the heartland electoral map to favor Republicans.

In other words, yes, Trump did have an impact. Yes, it is a "win" for Michigan in particular.

On the other hand, Trump's strategy is not without risks, but companies like Ford are reacting to it, so far in favorable ways. But other folks, including editors at the Det News, are noticing.

Glad you're entertained by all this, Dave.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:10 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:

Bully Pulpit.

Google it.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:26 PM

Well, some Mexicans certainly think Trump has had something to do with all this:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...01-04-14-45-38

Two weeks before inauguration, the scuttling of the planned Ford factory and Trump's pressure on General Motors should be a "much-needed wake-up call," said Mexico analyst Alejandro Hope.

It shows "how much actual leverage Trump has within specific companies, which is far greater than what Mexican elites thought until recently," Hope said. "They claimed that at the end of the day economic interests would prevail over political messaging. That's clearly not the case."

In an editorial, El Universal also recalled the deal Trump struck in December with Carrier to keep 800 of 1,300 jobs at an Indiana furnace factory from being sent to Mexico, in return for millions of dollars in tax incentives. It also implicitly criticized the Mexican government's response to the incoming administration.

"Mexico loses thousands of jobs with no word on a clear strategy for confronting the next U.S. government which has presented itself as protectionist and, especially, anti-Mexican," the paper wrote. "Trump will try to recover as many U.S. companies that have set up in Mexico as possible. He will try to make them return at whatever cost, through threats or using public resources."
Old 01-04-2017, 03:52 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Your "substance" is nothing that couldn't have been gleaned from the article I posted, with the exception of the "flattery" angle...
The flattery angle is the whole story outside of Flat Rock, MI. Ford deciding to create 700 jobs there when the American economy is generating 200K jobs per month, year after year, isn't news worthy of national discussion were it not for Trump claiming credit and Ford choosing to flatter him. Got to hand it to Trump for claiming credit for something he had nothing to do with and the press running with it. OTOH, this, above anything else you've posted, belongs in your fake news thread.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
The flattery angle is the whole story outside of Flat Rock, MI. Ford deciding to create 700 jobs there when the American economy is generating 200K jobs per month, year after year, isn't news worthy of national discussion were it not for Trump claiming credit and Ford choosing to flatter him. Got to hand it to Trump for claiming credit for something he had nothing to do with and the press running with it. OTOH, this, above anything else you've posted, belongs in your fake news thread.
Good lord, you still have the facts wrong, particularly about what's happening in Flat Rock. Go back and look at post 23.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:25 PM

700 jobs is 700 jobs. That will not have much affect on the entire country. It is nice that MI Goppers will have more workers to exploit and feed leaded water to I reckon.

Carl