Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Resident octogenarian

So in other words because we have this valuable property, through no fault of our own I might add, we do not deserve a break? We paid $45,000 for the 4.5 acre lot and $152,000 for a 2850 sq ft house. That I could afford, but there is no way I could afford it now. Calling me rich is the funniest line I have heard all day. If I get a tax break you are not paying for it so just what is your problem?
Old 09-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

This is INCOME not property. The Dems argument is that $249k isn't rich, and that the rich aren't paying their share.

Pete
Old 09-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
This is INCOME not property. The Dems argument is that $249k isn't rich, and that the rich aren't paying their share.

Pete
If you look at where the curve on tax savings takes off, 250,000 is a reasonable place to start, but $200,000 is better. I would prefer it to be lower. Here are the figures:

People in the 4th quintile of income (an average yearly income of $81,978), those in the top 20-40% of income earners, received an average yearly tax break of $2,124 under the Bush tax cuts.
The savings for those between 90 and 95% (Average income $197K) was $5510.
The savings for the next 4% (average income $346K) was $9680;
The savings for those whose income was in the 99th percentile to the 99.9 percentile (Average income $1.1Mil) was $49,201;
Finally for those in the top tenth of the top 1% (average income $8Mil), the savings was $372,200.

The curve starts to get really steep at around $200K. Those who benefited most from the Bush tax cuts were the ones making over $200K, so that would be a reasonable cutoff point. I would suggest that this is a more reasonable way of looking it than what is or isn't rich. Because the share of the tax savings started to really go up after $200K, those making more than that benefited the most, and therefore should benefit the least under any new tax plan.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 09-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

Pete
I thought class envy was supposed to be a Democratic trait, Pete. The bottom line is that this whole thing is just goosing an already FUBAR tax code.

Also, taxable income isn't really what differentiates rich from not rich.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Everyones taxes could double and it still would not cover our countries expenses.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Area Man

We see what you're saying, Pete. We just don't care, so long as we get one too. It's when only the wealthy get a tax cut that out panties get all twisted up.

Now, do you understand?

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 09-09-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:19 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Everyones taxes could double and it still would not cover our countries expenses.
Not within a single year, but over ti.......Nah, the more you give'em the more they spend. Scratch that.

Dave
Old 09-09-2010, 12:31 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Not within a single year, but over ti.......Nah, the more you give'em the more they spend. Scratch that.

Dave
Yeah, there are some portions of the world where we haven't carried democracy - at the point of a rifle.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 09-09-2010, 07:16 AM
Resident octogenarian

D I don't know where those numbers came from but my direct income where I last worked was $75,000 per year, Dubya's tax cut mad a $5.00 difference per paycheck for a grand total of $120 per year. Other income put me well over $100,000 so much for that great tax cut.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:46 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
We see what you're saying, Pete. We just don't care, so long as we get one too. It's when only the wealthy get a tax cut that out panties get all twisted up.

Now, do you understand?

Dave
Yep

But as was pointed out, I'm not a class warrior. If I get a 5% cut that's great, and I don't begruge folks making more than me getting a 5% tax cut either, fair is fair.

So if I save $10 on a 5% cut and another guy saves $1000, it stands to reason he's STILL paying waaaay more taxes than me.

I'm just pointing out that the Dems are trying to have their cake and eat it too.

Pete