Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:39 AM

Democrats to be saved using Liberalism?

http://www.insidebayarea.com/california/ci_15995785

This one had me tickled just a bit.

"To hold the line against Republicans, the House speaker, Nancy Pelosi, issued an urgent plea for members in safe districts to help their endangered colleagues by contributing money. She called out to Democrats who were delinquent on paying their party dues and instructed members with no re-election worries to tap into a combined $218 million from their campaign accounts to help save their majority."

So, we're going to take from the rich, and give it to those who need it more? If this plan is executed, and truly works, I may have to reconsider my thoughts on economics and human nature.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Resident octogenarian

Take? I think she suggested a voluntary contribution.

As to human nature, Americans are amongst the most generous people in this sorry old world, yet the GOP seems to always appeal to their baser instincts. Watch this weekend, despite the sour economy I will bet that the MDA telethon does quite well.

The Democrats should return to 2008 and the idea of HOPE. Sure Dr. No and company have tried to turn HOPE to NOPE but there is no reason to let them get away with that.

The GOP will try and sell this country down the river, but I am not ready to give up on it just yet, I believe it is made of better stuff.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Abby Normal

I like whell's style.

He distorts opinion or facts, then debunks it with sarcasm.

but to be honest it does sound a little like take from the rich...
Old 09-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

A classic example of political triage. I think Whell's skepticism may be well founded. Specifically, will safe Democrats with big campaign chests use some of their own monies to shore up those in tough races at the possible expense of themselves in their own future campaigns of unknown difficulty?

I guess the question is "What are the relative priorities of the average politician?"

A. Self>Party>Country

B. Country>Party>Self

Unfortunately, my cynicism with regard to the fools on the hills leads me to pick option A.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Resident octogenarian

Perhps Will Rogers was right? He said "I do not belong to any organized political party, I'm a Democrat"

Still, would you rather have the others marching in lock-step?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Perhps Will Rogers was right? He said "I do not belong to any organized political party, I'm a Democrat"
I have read this line before but it seemed particularly well placed in this thread today. Gave me a chuckle, thanks.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Take? I think she suggested a voluntary contribution.
Pelosi strikes me as someone who uses the term "voluntary" to convey an expectation rather than an option.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Pelosi strikes me as someone who uses the term "voluntary" to convey an expectation rather than an option.
LOL, that's for sure.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
A classic example of political triage. I think Whell's skepticism may be well founded.
So do I, really, which is why I haven't ripped him apart.

Quote:
Specifically, will safe Democrats with big campaign chests use some of their own monies to shore up those in tough races at the possible expense of themselves in their own future campaigns of unknown difficulty?
I think that, as in all things, some will and some won't. The stakes are very high. Some will realize that, given the current climate, their personal electoral future is sort of meaningless if they're in the Minority. The Republican monolith will marginalize them totally.

There's also the fact that contributing to a colleague's campaign is a great way to create a sense of obligation in that colleague. It's one of the things that made Tom DeLay so powerful. He spread around his own PAC money in some very strategic ways. It immeasurably solidified his position within the party.

Of course, others will see more value in simply retaining their seat than actually doing anything. They won't be too eager to fork over any cash.

Quote:
I guess the question is "What are the relative priorities of the average politician?"

A. Self>Party>Country

B. Country>Party>Self

Unfortunately, my cynicism with regard to the fools on the hills leads me to pick option A.
I think there;s another viable possibility:

C. Self>Country>Party

"A" probably wins. "B" is definitely in last place.

John
Old 09-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Area Man

Yeah, so? There is something shocking about a politician asking for donations from her/his base? Next thing I know your going to expect me to be outraged that churches pass around a collection plate during services.

Dave