We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:43 PM

Or, if not Barney, here's another strong contender from the days of yore:

Old 09-03-2010, 03:45 PM

And finally, one of my all-time favorites:

Old 09-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Whell - Your last 3 picks would raise the collective IQ of today's GOP immeasurably.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Beck and Palin? Earth calling...

Neither on either.

I don't like Romney, not because of the Mormon religion but because they are so clannish. Like Chicago politics lol.

I can see Obama dumping Biden and replacing with Hillary perhaps. She's getting older though (thinking of '16).

I'm not so certain the GOP will make giant gains in Congress now. I'm not so certain that the tea partiers are really with us. Think of how the loonie left already wrote off Obama.

It may be too early in '12, too close to Bush, for the real GOP ammo - Condi. Depends how disliked Obama is.

Pete
Pete, I enjoyed your objective analysis of the political prospects. They are probably more accurate than I could come up with (but I certainly like your prediction for Congress). I figured you to be too intelligent to see Palin/Beck as a possibility.

I've done enough beating on you that it's only fair to give credit where credit is due.

Re your comments on the tea partiers - do you think they are anti-Washington enough to sit on their hands where they lost primaries to an establishment candidate - like in Arizona?

REgards,

D-Ray
Old 09-03-2010, 05:41 PM

Talking about party strength and approval, I went and did a quick google search.
I found a wickipedia presidential ranking survey

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histori...tes_Presidents

According to the the survey(btw, if you didn't look, it has a lot of differnt surveys taken from deifferent groups) , they ranked the presidents from best to worst. I looked specifically at the Sienna poll of presidential scholars.

Here is a nutshell from their survey
A 2010 Siena poll of 238 Presidential scholars found that former president George W. Bush was ranked 39th out of 43, with poor ratings in handling of the economy, communication, ability to compromise, foreign policy accomplishments and intelligence. Meanwhile, the current president, Barack Obama was ranked 15th out of 43, with high ratings for imagination, communication ability and intelligence and a low rating for background (family, education and experience).[8][9]

I also wondered who were the worst presidents in history. Obama I excluded as he is not done with office. He had a higher ranking than I thought anyway. I also excluded James buchanan and Andrew Johnson. These were Abraham Lincolns predecessor and sucessor. They both received really low moarks. Generally right at the bottom. I would specualte, their success hada lot to do with the political climate before and after the civil war.

So, here is the list of the 6 Worst presidents in history from bad to worst.

6. william harrison whig
5. herbert hoover republican
4. john tyler whig
3. millard fillmore whig
2. George w Bush Junior republican
And the worst of all time. I have to say I knew he was not favored, but this supprised me.

numero 1. Franklin Pierce democrat.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Whell - Your last 3 picks would raise the collective IQ of today's GOP immeasurably.
You're killin' me!
Old 09-03-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post
Here is a nutshell from their survey
A 2010 Siena poll of 238 Presidential scholars found that former president George W. Bush was ranked 39th out of 43, with poor ratings in handling of the economy, communication, ability to compromise, foreign policy accomplishments and intelligence. Meanwhile, the current president, Barack Obama was ranked 15th out of 43, with high ratings for imagination, communication ability and intelligence and a low rating for background (family, education and experience).[8][9]
LOL!

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...015629,00.html

Last edited by whell; 09-03-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:47 PM

My write-in:

I think it could well be an Obama/Clinton ticket with Byden going to State. For Repugnicans it'll be Bush/Petraeus.

John
Old 09-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Abby Normal

I see this thread fell into the shitter.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
One can't judge leadership and judgment on the basis of popularity. A couple of immensely popular figures in the political arena would be woeful leaders, and worse administrators. As Time pointed out, Obama paid a huge price for sticking with it and getting health care reform, something that was sorely needed, and at which others had failed. That should show him to be true to his statement that he would rather be a one term president and do big things than be a two term president and do a lot of small things.

We might have to wait a few years and look in the rear-view mirror to determine the ultimate impact of the stimulus package. He was aware that some of the things he included in the reform package would not pay short term dividends, but they were necessary for building for the future. We will never know with complete accuracy whether it prevented this sticky recession from becoming a full-fledged depression, but economists have opined that unemployment would have been half again as high, and the deficit would have nearly doubled - that's right fewer government expenditures would have cost the government more money.

Regards,

D-Ray

Last edited by d-ray657; 09-03-2010 at 11:44 PM.