Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Area Man

Bilingual Signage, etc..............

A little while back there was an article in the Virginia Pilot about retirement communities in Mexico. Apparently there are thousands of retired Americans living in Mexico because the cost of living is cheap, and their dollar goes much further. Can't say as I blame them for that, it beats having to work until you drop dead, which is where my generation is headed.

Anyways,

According to the article, the Mexican goverment does not require them to immigrate. They are issued some sort of "legal resident status". I imagine this is done because the Mexicans need the money. And immigration might affect their SS income.

However, to get to the point.

I wonder if these Americans are told to "Speak Spanish, or get the hell out!!"? Are Mexicans distraught and outraged that they must "Push One for Spanish" in their own country? Do they disparage at the sight of a bilingual road sign? Do they gather in angry mobs bearing pickets that say; "Change your own diaper you incontinent old GRINGO FART!!" or rather "Cambiar el paņal propia edad que PEDO GRINGO!"?

Hmmmmm?

Just thinking out loud.
Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 08-22-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:46 PM
Abby Normal

Frankly I wish we had a national language but as we don't I put up with all the different signs and languages without being upset at the people who read them.
I realize that we have no right to everything being done in English.

As I said I would vote for the US to adapt english as the national language but until it does my only anger is at the politicians.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:51 AM
Resident octogenarian

As Winston once remarked - "The Americans and the British, two friendly peoples separated by a common language."
Old 08-23-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
As Winston once remarked - "The Americans and the British, two friendly peoples separated by a common language."
Rob, were you living in Quebec Province when the bilingual signage legislation was being debated? Maybe you could shed some light on it. As I recall, it was a very heated issue when it was being considered and pretty much a non-issue once it went into effect.

Meanwhile, we have a limited amount of bilingual signage out here in the PRC, packaging, labeling, and some signs inside businesses. I never hear any complaining. I'm sure there are some who don't like it but I never encounter them.

As you might expect, I have no problem with it at all. I look at it as a welcoming accommodation to new arrivals, both visitors and immigrants. Plus, it smooths out some of the little day to day wrinkles that result from language barriers.

John
Old 08-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Area Man

OMG! No you didn't just suggest that bi-lingualism isn't a sign of the Apocolypse!

Dave
Old 08-23-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
OMG! No you didn't just suggest that bi-lingualism isn't a sign of the Apocolypse!

Dave
I guess I'll have to cancel my plans to move to Tennessee.

John
Old 08-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Area Man

I know how that would disappoint you. Wanting so bad to go live in the holler and all.

Dave
Old 08-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Resident octogenarian

Near as I remember Quebec always had Arret/Stop signs and such. When the seperatists formed the majority in the provincial government there was a proposal to have all the signs in French only. Have not been there since 1973 so I really don't know if they went ahead or not.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
According to the article, the Mexican goverment does not require them to immigrate. They are issued some sort of "legal resident status".

Dave
Wait! You mean that if Americans want to live in Mexico, even part time, that the Mexican government requires them to apply for and maintain a legal resident status? Wow, what a concept.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Near as I remember Quebec always had Arret/Stop signs and such. When the seperatists formed the majority in the provincial government there was a proposal to have all the signs in French only. Have not been there since 1973 so I really don't know if they went ahead or not.
Last time I was in Canada (BC) not everything was bilingual, as I recall, but a lot was. Again, it wasn't street signs and traffic signs, just things like "Hommes" and "Entre/Sortie" signs. If I remember correctly, in Quebec the final result was bilingual signage with French before/above English.

The thing I remember most about Quebecois was their habit of pretending not to understand when you address them in English. On the other hand, they were much more tolerant of attempts to address them in mangled French than are the French themselves. There's a reason why "chauvinism" is a French word.

John