Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:15 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I'm entitled to what's in my IRA. Isn't that an entitlement. I've been making Social Security contributions for 37 years. Isn't that what it was always called - contributions, not a tax? Am I not entitled to the amounts that the SSA sends me periodically to tell me what is in my Social Security account?

It's nothing but corruption to take something that has always been a quid pro quo for working people and turn it into just any old government program that can be cut to protect the rich from paying taxes. That would turn those "contributions" into the most regressive tax increase in history.

Regards,

D-Ray
HEAR! HEAR!

Dave
Old 08-15-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combwork View Post
Have you noticed how many Presidents in disaster films are black? I'm thinking about "2012" or "Deep Impact". It's as if Hollywood is trying to over compensate for previously showing black people as subordinate to white people. This is a real problem in the U.K. Reverse discrimination where in some jobs, applicants are selected by their ethnic background, not their ability.
I dunno, In "The Fifth Element" the president of the whole freakin' planet was black and that movie came out before anyone had heard of Barack Obama.

John
Old 08-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Have you noticed how many Presidents in disaster films are black? I'm thinking about "2012" or "Deep Impact". It's as if Hollywood is trying to over compensate for previously showing black people as subordinate to white people. This is a real problem in the U.K. Reverse discrimination where in some jobs, applicants are selected by their ethnic background, not their ability.
I don't watch movies.

However the stereotype of blacks being subordinate to whites cannot be over compensated enough for.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
And, I'm certain they were claiming it would benefit no one and that it would be totally bankrupt in five years.....okay, by 1946......allright, 1960.....make that 1973.....1996.....There is no way it'll last past 2000......2037!!!................................. .........................

Dave
and it would be in just fine shape if the politicians had keep there hands off th surpluses
Old 08-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
I'm entitled to what's in my IRA. Isn't that an entitlement. I've been making Social Security contributions for 37 years. Isn't that what it was always called - contributions, not a tax? Am I not entitled to the amounts that the SSA sends me periodically to tell me what is in my Social Security account?

It's nothing but corruption to take something that has always been a quid pro quo for working people and turn it into just any old government program that can be cut to protect the rich from paying taxes. That would turn those "contributions" into the most regressive tax increase in history.

Regards,

D-Ray
well said
Old 08-15-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
I don't watch movies.

However the stereotype of blacks being subordinate to whites cannot be over compensated enough for.
I think it can be 'compensated' for far too much. It's like saying sorry. Saying it several times it can still come from the heart, it can still mean something but going on and on and on about things we shouldn't have done or thought; using 'sorry' like a mantra; striping it of meaning............

None of us are blind. To a greater or lesser extent background, attitudes from the 50's and 60's can still kick in. Stereotypes. I wonder. Will our children's children look back at the way we now think about Arabs; not as individuals but as 'them'? How will they perceive this?
Old 08-15-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Roosevelt signed the Social Security Acct into law.

And the Republicans still haven't gotten over it.

John
i'll bet a lot of the republican general population are collecting it on retiring.

i personally know several, including my 86 yr old dad, a 'semi reformed' conservative republican.

along with his/their medicare...

Last edited by westgate; 08-15-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
I think it can be 'compensated' for far too much. It's like saying sorry. Saying it several times it can still come from the heart, it can still mean something but going on and on and on about things we shouldn't have done or thought; using 'sorry' like a mantra; striping it of meaning............

None of us are blind. To a greater or lesser extent background, attitudes from the 50's and 60's can still kick in. Stereotypes. I wonder. Will our children's children look back at the way we now think about Arabs; not as individuals but as 'them'? How will they perceive this?
I think my sons' generation is much more accepting of differences than ours was, and I would hope that someday, if I have grandchildren, they will grow up in a world where differences in race and ethnicity are seen only as opportunities for new experiences, without any feelings of fear or hatred.

With respect to the African American actors playing the role of President in the adventure movies, maybe those particular actors brought the personality or humor to the roles that the producers/directors wanted. The biggest failing of affirmative action has been to create a perception that every minority wins a job because of race rather than merit.

In the litigation that I was involved in for the past several years, I learned of numerous examples where African Americans were impressive figures in the industry. Because of their talents, some of these individuals were paid significantly more than scale rather than lose them to a competing contractor.

Some I met felt that they had to over achieve to be recognized, and I imagine that there was plenty of truth in that. I wouldn't be surprised if President Obama was motivated by similar feelings. If you look at the number of people who consider him and "idiot" despite his obvious intellectual gifts, it's not hard to imagine the need to over-achieve.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 08-15-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if President Obama was motivated by similar feelings. If you look at the number of people who consider him and "idiot" despite his obvious intellectual gifts, it's not hard to imagine the need to over-achieve.
QFT!

John
Old 08-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Abby Normal

[QUOTE=Combwork;36459]
Quote:
we are not talking about apologizing, we are speking about placing blacks in position that are not subordinate in he movies.

Quote:
[QUOTE]

"we all" do not now think about arabs as "them"
honestly, this is a bit shocking

them, good grief