Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Area Man

More good news from "The Steel Valley".

In addition to 1,000 steelworkers returning to work at OAO Severstal last month, now there is this.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2010/feb/1...ion-time-line/

Notice the reference to the National Recovery and Reinvestment Act?

No, it's not doing any good at all.........................

BTW, Pic of the Mill as it stands today, in my avatar. It had stood empty for a few years back in the '80s.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 04-02-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:20 AM

Isn't that a form of corporate welfare?

Just kidding.

Chas
Old 04-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Area Man

No, to my mind it is a form of investment in our own industries. If you recheck the article, you'll see that the portion that comes from the Reinvestment Act is $20 million. A small fraction of the nearly $1 billion (In sum total.) the company is investing. If it all works out, it shouldn't be long at all until the federal funds are recovered in the form of increased tax revenues.

Idle factories produce nothing. Operating factories produce goods, jobs, paychecks, and yes, tax revenues for the local, state, and federal governments.

In the valley, they have been waiting for the last 30-35 years for the private sector to create jobs on it's own. 30-35 years of waiting, while everything declined precipitously.

Hence, my belief that Industry and Government working together is what will rebuild this country even if it is, initially, very expensive. You may not agree with that, and that's fine. But do you, at least understand why I think the way I do?

The most important thing to me, is that at long last we begin building industry again and stop tearing it down.

BTW. McCain stopped by there on his campaign tour in '08, and his comment to those people was; "These jobs are gone, gone, gone. And they're never coming back." Sorry, but defeatism like that will NEVER get my vote. Ever.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 04-03-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Area Man

Oh, I see you were, "Just kidding". Cool. But my reply still stands.

Dave
Old 04-03-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
No, to my mind it is a form of investment in our own industries. If you recheck the article, you'll see that the portion that comes from the Reinvestment Act is $20 million. A small fraction of the nearly $1 billion (In sum total.) the company is investing. If it all works out, it shouldn't be long at all until the federal funds are recovered in the form of increased tax revenues.

Idle factories produce nothing. Operating factories produce goods, jobs, paychecks, and yes, tax revenues for the local, state, and federal governments.

In the valley, they have been waiting for the last 30-35 years for the private sector to create jobs on it's own. 30-35 years of waiting, while everything declined precipitously.

Hence, my belief that Industry and Government working together is what will rebuild this country even if it is, initially, very expensive. You may not agree with that, and that's fine. But do you, at least understand why I think the way I do?

The most important thing to me, is that at long last we begin building industry again and stop tearing it down.

BTW. McCain stopped by there on his campaign tour in '08, and his comment to those people was; "These jobs are gone, gone, gone. And they're never coming back." Sorry, but defeatism like that will NEVER get my vote. Ever.

Regards,
Dave
I agree with your assessment.

And this time, I'm NOT kidding.

Chas
Old 04-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Resident octogenarian

I think also that it is about time to take the Chinese to the WTO. Not that I would buy any of their steel pipe at any price. It is probably no safer than their drywall.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:16 AM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
In general, it is hard for me to dislike McCain. He flew from the same carrier my father served on in Vietnam (prior to it's FRAM refit and my father's service), got an A-4 shot out from underneath him -- twice -- including, once, minding his own business while setting up for an Alpha Strike. I liked his work in Arizona and while being somewhat of a renegade, nationally. But, he sold his soul to the right-wing nutjobs to be nominated and, in private, I bet he knows that.

I don't mind this so-called "defeatism," if the idea is: "So, we're going to re-train you. We're going to reinvest in American exceptionalism. We're going to move forward and YOU"RE COMING WITH US."

But, that's not what happened.

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act worked and is working. Nobody expected immediate results. Now, dare I say it (to quote a Republican), trickling down, things are occurring.

Excellent.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Area Man

Oh, I wasn't trying to beat up on McCain, I was simply quoting him and how I perceived his words. I actually admire him. Have for a long time. I wanted to personally to smack GW when he questioned McCains military record. That was one of the most shamefull things I have ever seen.

And I think we have recently seen someone say, "We're going to move forward and YOU'RE COMING WITH US." But, he's not a Republican--and that's what all of the fuss is about, Zeke.

Oh, and also. There certainly were people who expected immediate results. Those would be the "It's not working! Shoulda let it fail!" Crowd. When Reinvestment and Recovery Act was passed and they didn't see a booming ecomony before the ink dried, they started screaming. I blame Hollywood, FauxNews and our "instant gratification" society for that nonsense.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 04-04-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Loyal Opposition

Man, talk about a positive, logical thread. This kinda stuff is kinda like those one or two good shots on the golf course that keep you coming back for the rest of the punishment. Nah, i have a lot of fun here, but this is a very gratifying thread. Now you guys aren't gonna be surprised that I agree with what Dave is saying, are you.?

I will join in the praise of McCain to this extent. His concession speech was an act of patriotism, befitting a man of his reputation. Unfortunately, whatever effect that might of had on the way he sullied his reputation in the campaign, his complicity in the current purely partisan posturing of the GOP undoes whatever good the concession speech did. It basically showed him to be just a politician who said what he needed to say when he lost the election, but forgot about it when it became politically expedient to do so.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 04-04-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Man, talk about a positive, logical thread. This kinda stuff is kinda like those one or two good shots on the golf course that keep you coming back for the rest of the punishment. Nah, i have a lot of fun here, but this is a very gratifying thread. Now you guys aren't gonna be surprised that I agree with what Dave is saying, are you.?

I will join in the praise of McCain to this extent. His concession speech was an act of patriotism, befitting a man of his reputation. Unfortunately, whatever effect that might of had on the way he sullied his reputation in the campaign, his complicity in the current purely partisan posturing of the GOP undoes whatever good the concession speech did. It basically showed him to be just a politician who said what he needed to say when he lost the election, but forgot about it when it became politically expedient to do so.

Regards,

D-Ray
And here I come to spoil it all.

I didn't see McCain's concession speech to be an act of patriotism as much as an act of political expediency. Basically, he told his party to behave as adults and don't show your asses. He certainly didn't say not to begin to sharpen the long knives in preparation for 2010.

This is politics, everyone loses an election from time to time. And the Democrats are no more capable of rising above political partisanship than the Republicans.

Chas