Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:21 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Ron Paul in Congress

It kinda makes one wonder what is attractive about this guy. As often stated, he's your crazy uncle in the attic.

The passage of H.R. 2121, in fall 2009, unfolded without drama. It allowed for the sale of a custom house in Galveston, Tex. The House debate took two minutes, and the vote took eight seconds. The ayes had it.

But something historic was happening. On his 482nd try, Rep. Ron Paul (R-Tex.) had authored a bill that would become law.
Paul has become a surprising force in the GOP presidential race, promising to use “the bully pulpit of the presidency” to push deep cutbacks across government. But Paul has had only limited success using his current pulpit — a seat in Congress — to rally lawmakers behind his ideas.

Of the 620 measures that Paul has sponsored, just four have made it to a vote on the House floor. Only that one has been signed into law.

House colleagues say the genial Paul has often shown little interest in the laborious one-on-one lobbying required to build a coalition behind his ideas. This year, for instance, Paul has sponsored 47 bills, including measures to withdraw from the United Nations, repeal the federal law banning guns in school zones and let private groups coin their own money.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...VJP_story.html
Old 12-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Area Man

".....alows private groups coin their own money."

Someone please show me the Constitutional grounds for that? Actually, don't bother. The constitution forbids even the states from coining their own money. I believe it's Article 1, Section 10. And, I believe there have been legal battles, already fought long ago, that resulted in the prohibition of private companies issuing their own "company script".

For someone who is constantly going on about history and what the constitution says, the Gentleman from Texas sure does have a crappy understanding of both. Not surprising. Most of his ilk do.

Dave
Old 12-27-2011, 07:10 AM
Resident octogenarian

He also constantly quotes Ayn Rand on the floor of the house, more family values virtues, the woman was married and in her forties while sacking up with some kid in his twenties, who was also married at the time.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post

Someone please show me the Constitutional grounds for that? Actually, don't bother. The constitution forbids even the states from coining their own money. I believe it's Article 1, Section 10. And, I believe there have been legal battles, already fought long ago, that resulted in the prohibition of private companies issuing their own "company script".

For someone who is constantly going on about history and what the constitution says, the Gentleman from Texas sure does have a crappy understanding of both. Not surprising. Most of his ilk do.

Dave
The politicians have been fighting over the meaning of the constitution since before the ink was dry, and they're not done yet.

Chas
Old 12-27-2011, 08:21 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The politicians have been fighting over the meaning of the constitution since before the ink was dry, and they're not done yet.

Chas
Even SCOTUS cannot seem to get it right.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post

Dave
Section 10. No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.

So as long as the states mint coin, just as Congress is supposed to do, it is legal for the states to mint their own currency from Gold and Silver !

Bill
Old 12-29-2011, 07:48 AM
Resident octogenarian

Or see;

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...fUKPihIdtzou4A
Old 01-01-2012, 08:27 PM

The Constitution gives the Congress: To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;

And The coin of the realm was silver and gold. Now I have not researched these different bank notes, but I would bet that they were backed by silver or gold.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Area Man

And just what would the point of states minting their own gold and silver coins be, Bill?
To make everything more complex, confusing and inconvenient? Because they can? What in the hell is that?

Dude, the founders themselves didn't tolerate states getting too liscentious once they went from being a collection of rich guys from different states and became the federal government. Regardless of what they said or wrote.

No one establishes a national government without the intent to govern.

Think about it.

UNITED States of America. "United"-as in part of a whole.

"No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation..."---I give you the basis for the federal government taking military action against the confederacy.

Whatever was said or written, it's the actions that speak louder than the words.

Think.

Dave
Old 01-01-2012, 10:11 PM

Dave, I think all the time ! and from both sides of every situation It has been a blessing and a course all of my life !

The States making their own money, from Silver and Gold, would establish a currency that could be used throughout the world !

Today our Federal currency is backed by the Full Faith and Trust of the United States Government ! Now just how much Faith and Trust do you have in our Government ????

It looks to me that the states and the private gold mints are offering a currency that is inflation proof, to the general public. But only if they can see it !