Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-27-2013, 10:24 AM
BlueStreak's Avatar
BlueStreak BlueStreak is offline
Area Man
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 26,958
I'm not a Papist, not even a very good Christian, (As you have noted, I'm sure.). But, I do believe in credit where credit is due and to the Pope I give credit for speaking the truth. As for the acolytes of unbridled greed and "trickle down" economics, I give credit for the struggling world economy and the "race to the bottom". I thank them for------nothing.

Dave
__________________
"When the lie is so big and the fog so thick, the Republican trick can play out again....."-------Frank Zappa
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-27-2013, 10:36 AM
piece-itpete's Avatar
piece-itpete piece-itpete is offline
Admin - yeah it's true.
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Land of the burning river
Posts: 21,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
... (As you have noted, I'm sure.). ...
Say it ain't so!!

Pete
__________________
“How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg.”
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-27-2013, 10:38 AM
Dondilion's Avatar
Dondilion Dondilion is offline
Jigsawed
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 8,663
The pope is a Jesuit and the right has been killing in the past decades such active catholic priests and nuns in Central and South America.

That Francis should come to power is a miracle. I guess it was frustration from the numerous scandals.

Check the life of this Priest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Romero

Last edited by Dondilion; 11-27-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-27-2013, 12:03 PM
Tom Joad's Avatar
Tom Joad Tom Joad is offline
Persona non grata
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 12,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
So one of the world's leading economists chimes in on "trickle-down" economics.: rolleyes:

Actually, this should surprise no one. The Catholic church for years has been pretty far to the left with its views on economics / wealth (re) distribution.
By all means keep bash away!

We only won the Catholic vote by 50-48 last time and when you take out the Hispanics we lost the white Catholic vote by 59-40.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholi..._United_States

So we could stand to have you alienate some of them our way.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-27-2013, 01:12 PM
merrylander's Avatar
merrylander merrylander is offline
Resident octogenarian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 20,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
To cut to the chase, if an omniscient, omnipotent God, knowing everything that was going to happen, created the world the way it is on purpose, I cannot forgive Him.
Near as I recall He gave us free will and a good rule to live by, as Rabbi Hillel put it

"That which is distasteful to you do not do unto others, that is the law the rest is mere commentary."
__________________
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-27-2013, 02:39 PM
bobabode's Avatar
bobabode bobabode is online now
Admin
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain in California
Posts: 33,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
The pope is a Jesuit and the right has been killing in the past decades such active catholic priests and nuns in Central and South America.

That Francis should come to power is a miracle. I guess it was frustration from the numerous scandals.

Check the life of this Priest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Romero
Ahhh, yes-those Jesuits are the smartest kids on the block and a constant source of irritation to those who would build 'butter' cathedrals.
My Irish Catholic better half was amazed and gratified that a Jesuit was chosen for the top job.
__________________
'I hear mariachi static on my radio and the tubes they glow in the dark' Zevon
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-27-2013, 03:48 PM
whell's Avatar
whell whell is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 11,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
By all means keep bash away!

We only won the Catholic vote by 50-48 last time and when you take out the Hispanics we lost the white Catholic vote by 59-40.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholi..._United_States

So we could stand to have you alienate some of them our way.
I'm not referring to how Catholics at large voted. I'm referring to the leadership of the Church: from the Vatican right through to the many of the ordained. Just hang out on any given Catholic church for a string of Sundays and listen to when comes from the pulpit. About the only divergence you'll find from standard left-wing dogma is on the subjects of abortion and birth control. Most everything else is aligned with the article in the OP.

This isn't a criticism, by the way. It just "is what it is."
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-27-2013, 04:50 PM
donquixote99's Avatar
donquixote99 donquixote99 is offline
Ready
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 14,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Near as I recall He gave us free will and a good rule to live by, as Rabbi Hillel put it

"That which is distasteful to you do not do unto others, that is the law the rest is mere commentary."
1. We don't follow that a lot, and he knew we wouldn't from the get-go.

2. Lots of bad things happen that cannot be reasonably attributed to rule violations.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-28-2013, 07:33 AM
merrylander's Avatar
merrylander merrylander is offline
Resident octogenarian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 20,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
1. We don't follow that a lot, and he knew we wouldn't from the get-go.

2. Lots of bad things happen that cannot be reasonably attributed to rule violations.
DQ my own father likely knew that I would disappoint him from time to time as I am sure that I did, but he never stopped loving me. Did not mean that what he told me to do was wrong.

On your second point sure; at the age of ten I got into an argument with a speeding truck. The truck won and I spent a month in traction, then another month in a full body cast, as the bumper sticker says excrement occurs.

We love our children but there comes a time when they leave the nest and your heart aches at what life does to them sometines but there is nowt you can do.
__________________
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-28-2013, 08:30 AM
donquixote99's Avatar
donquixote99 donquixote99 is offline
Ready
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 14,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
DQ my own father likely knew that I would disappoint him from time to time as I am sure that I did, but he never stopped loving me. Did not mean that what he told me to do was wrong.

On your second point sure; at the age of ten I got into an argument with a speeding truck. The truck won and I spent a month in traction, then another month in a full body cast, as the bumper sticker says excrement occurs.

We love our children but there comes a time when they leave the nest and your heart aches at what life does to them sometines but there is nowt you can do.
Well, there's not much point in chopping logic here. Had the whole thing down to sawdust ages ago.

I still find it to be a wonderful life. Let's celebrate.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.