Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 04-05-2012, 06:39 AM
Oerets's Avatar
Oerets Oerets is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Derby City U.S.A.
Posts: 5,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
Might have something to do with your tree hugging brethren and all the regulations. Take a look at a map some time and see how much of this state the federal government has taken and consider how many of your tax dollars are thrown at justifying keeping it locked up.
Once again I will remind you that the U.S. of A. bought your state from Russia, not the local population. There by the land was all federally funded long ago as an investment. So any profits from said investments should be shared by all of the nation not just the few who live in Alaska.
Just because bountiful natural resource are in Alaska, does not mean they need to be used up as fast as possible. A wise nation would want to use them in a manner in which guarantees the most return.

But I do agree that all industries who are using the nations natural resources should be paying the government a higher royalties like your state is doing.


Barney
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:15 AM
merrylander's Avatar
merrylander merrylander is offline
Resident octogenarian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 20,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Once again I will remind you that the U.S. of A. bought your state from Russia, not the local population. There by the land was all federally funded long ago as an investment. So any profits from said investments should be shared by all of the nation not just the few who live in Alaska.
Just because bountiful natural resource are in Alaska, does not mean they need to be used up as fast as possible. A wise nation would want to use them in a manner in which guarantees the most return.

But I do agree that all industries who are using the nations natural resources should be paying the government a higher royalties like your state is doing.


Barney
It's all right Barney, BP is managing the big pipeline so we will likely be reading about ruptures and oil leaks any day now.
__________________
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:17 AM
BlueStreak's Avatar
BlueStreak BlueStreak is offline
Area Man
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 26,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
It's all right Barney, BP is managing the big pipeline so we will likely be reading about ruptures and oil leaks any day now.
That's okay, Joe Barton is already preparing his apology speech for the leakage and any subsequent suggestion that the company bears any fault.

Dave
__________________
"When the lie is so big and the fog so thick, the Republican trick can play out again....."-------Frank Zappa
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 04-05-2012, 09:30 AM
piece-itpete's Avatar
piece-itpete piece-itpete is offline
Admin - yeah it's true.
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Land of the burning river
Posts: 21,005
Fresh baby seal meat, midnight sun, grow your own, northern lights, what's not to love?

The government is one form or another has been responsible for all of the US. Does that mean they own it?

Pete
__________________
“How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg.”
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 04-05-2012, 11:42 AM
bobabode's Avatar
bobabode bobabode is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain in California
Posts: 32,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Fresh baby seal meat, midnight sun, grow your own, northern lights, what's not to love?

The government is one form or another has been responsible for all of the US. Does that mean they own it?

Pete
The teflon bubble is strong in you, young skywalker. By the people, for the people. Dam' govmint revenooers!
__________________
“Never fight with a pig. You’ll just get dirty and the pig likes it."
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 04-05-2012, 11:45 AM
piece-itpete's Avatar
piece-itpete piece-itpete is offline
Admin - yeah it's true.
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Land of the burning river
Posts: 21,005
I shewt'em.

Pete
__________________
“How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg.”
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 04-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Wasillaguy's Avatar
Wasillaguy Wasillaguy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Once again I will remind you that the U.S. of A. bought your state from Russia, not the local population. There by the land was all federally funded long ago as an investment. So any profits from said investments should be shared by all of the nation not just the few who live in Alaska.
Just because bountiful natural resource are in Alaska, does not mean they need to be used up as fast as possible. A wise nation would want to use them in a manner in which guarantees the most return.

But I do agree that all industries who are using the nations natural resources should be paying the government a higher royalties like your state is doing.


Barney
We were let into the union with our state constitution, which clearly states that the natural resources are the property of the citizens of the state. Of course, our state gov takes that to mean it belongs to them. Once upon a time, we had an honest governor named Jay Hammond who saw to it that the people actually got a small tiny fraction of the money before the gubmint could blow it all. That's where the Permanent Fund came from, and the politicians have been trying to take it back ever since. Hope that clears it up a bit for ya.

Now, have we deflected far enough from the OP's topic? What's a fair wage? Is $34/hr a fair wage for a tech in Alaska? Apparently not, because jobs are sitting here unfilled. Is $10 or $15 a fair wage for techs down there? Apparently so, or they'd get their asses on the highway and DRIVE TO WHERE THE MONEY IS!
__________________
"You can't always get what you want" -Rolling Stones
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 04-05-2012, 07:45 PM
bobabode's Avatar
bobabode bobabode is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain in California
Posts: 32,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
Might have something to do with your tree hugging brethren and all the regulations. Take a look at a map some time and see how much of this state the federal government has taken and consider how many of your tax dollars are thrown at justifying keeping it locked up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
We were let into the union with our state constitution, which clearly states that the natural resources are the property of the citizens of the state. Of course, our state gov takes that to mean it belongs to them. Once upon a time, we had an honest governor named Jay Hammond who saw to it that the people actually got a small tiny fraction of the money before the gubmint could blow it all. That's where the Permanent Fund came from, and the politicians have been trying to take it back ever since. Hope that clears it up a bit for ya.

Now, have we deflected far enough from the OP's topic? What's a fair wage? Is $34/hr a fair wage for a tech in Alaska? Apparently not, because jobs are sitting here unfilled. Is $10 or $15 a fair wage for techs down there? Apparently so, or they'd get their asses on the highway and DRIVE TO WHERE THE MONEY IS!
So you can't stand the Federal guvmint or the State guvmint meddling in the right to clearcut then stripmine Alaska to it's bedrock. Sounds like it's time to sell it back to Putin and you could all retire to Orlando with yer guns.(just in time for global warming to put most of Florida underwater.)

Back to the topic, isn't the cost of living super high in Alaska?
__________________
“Never fight with a pig. You’ll just get dirty and the pig likes it."
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 04-06-2012, 04:01 AM
BlueStreak's Avatar
BlueStreak BlueStreak is offline
Area Man
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 26,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Fresh baby seal meat, midnight sun, grow your own, northern lights, what's not to love?

The government is one form or another has been responsible for all of the US. Does that mean they own it?

Pete
The Louisiana Purchase comes to mind. And yes. I'd say the people own it, and we are the government......Or at least we're supposed to be. Where's Woody Guthrie when I need him?

Dave
__________________
"When the lie is so big and the fog so thick, the Republican trick can play out again....."-------Frank Zappa
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.