Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:28 PM
Admin

Midterm Mania '18 Edition

Here's what's happening in my neck of the woods.

"Now that Rep. Ed Royce (R-Fullerton) is the first California member of Congress to opt for retirement instead of a long, contentious campaign for reelection, his 39th Congressional District is getting a new look from Democrats eager to regain control of the House of Representatives.

The Cook Political Report immediately moved the Orange County district’s rating from “leans Republican” to “leans Democratic,” and Inside Elections shifted it from the GOP column to “Tossup.”

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-p...109-story.html

So, what's happening in your area?
Old 01-09-2018, 03:48 PM

While its very early yet, Republican Attorney General Bill Schuette is the current favorite for Governor, since Rick Snyder is term limited. Debbie Stabenow is up for re-election in 2018. Repubs think they might have a shot at this seat, particularly now that Kid Rock is no longer a candidate. I'd love to see Dopey Debbie get sent home, but I won't bet the mortgage on it. The race for the House seats will be the usual circus.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:54 PM
Admin

"Hillary Clinton won here in 2016. Could that be a fluke?
Clinton beat Donald Trump 51% to 43% in Royce’s district in an election that marked the first time a Democrat won Orange County in 80 years. It’s still unclear if that’s a bellwether for future Democratic victories here or a measure of Trump’s stunning unpopularity in California, where just 28% of adults approve of his job performance.
According to an analysis by the election guide California Target Book, Clinton is the only Democratic candidate to win in Royce’s district in any statewide contest going back six years.
Not your grandmother’s Orange County
Major demographic changes have been afoot in Orange County, once a bastion of conservatism, for years.
When Royce was first elected to Congress in 1992, the district he won was more than 60% white and less than a quarter Latino. Today, Asian Americans and Latinos make up more than 65% of his district while whites are just 28% of constituents.

Voter registration numbers have followed suit. Republicans’ advantage in registered voters has shrunk to 1.7 percentage points from 8 percentage points since 2012. The district is 34.4% registered Democrats and 36.1% Republicans. Decline-to-state voters make up 24.9% of those registered." LA Times

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-p...109-story.html

I moved to Orange county, Ca. in the early '80s from Redondo Beach and it felt like I was parachuting behind enemy lines. This used to be hardcore Reagan country. Tricky Dick is a hometown boy and B1 Bob Dornan was a major force locally until some Latina lady from Santa Ana retired his noxious ass.

Ennyhow, looking forward to retiring my congresscritter, Dana Rohrabacher, in November.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I moved to Orange county, Ca. in the early '80s from Redondo Beach and it felt like I was parachuting behind enemy lines. This used to be hardcore Reagan country. Tricky Dick is a hometown boy and B1 Bob Dornan was a major force locally until some Latina lady from Santa Ana retired his noxious ass.

Ennyhow, looking forward to retiring my congresscritter, Dana Rohrabacher, in November.
Lots of folks in CA voted Repube because of taxes. Now that they will be screwed on the federal returns, unable to deduct CA taxes, will they realize it was the Repubes who screwed them, and throw them out?
Old 01-09-2018, 09:46 PM

House guy is a really, really popular libtard. Whoever runs against has more dollars than sense.
https://desaulnier.house.gov/about-mark/short-biography
Harris,same.
DiFi should retire but not sure if anyone who could actually replace her may not happen, just seat warmers is all I've seen.
Gov will be Gavin Newsom, no brainer.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
Lots of folks in CA voted Repube because of taxes. Now that they will be screwed on the federal returns, unable to deduct CA taxes, will they realize it was the Repubes who screwed them, and throw them out?
This is a very good question but unfortunately, the Dems have no leadership to convey the message to the voters IMO. Feinstein and Pelosi needs to get lost, they are the worst of the Dem party, but don't expect this to happen anytime soon. Lot of my friends are hardcore Republicans and Fox News aficionado's and would be interesting to see if they flip. Their view is not that the GOP is good, but that the Dem party is worse.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:31 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

No room for Trumpkins in Maryland - thankfully. Nearby Virginia has already let its opinion of Trump be known and Barbara Comstock, moderate Republican US Representative from western DC exurbs (Loudoun and Frederick Counties, VA) is sweating bullets.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:32 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Darrell Issa just bailed.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...54d_story.html
Old 01-10-2018, 02:56 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
The rats are jumping ship.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:23 AM

I am white screened to Wapo, time to go to get out of this sewer and become a lobbyi$t I reckon.