Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:49 AM

Huh...IRS looking for way to tax personal use of business phones

"Specifically, the IRS has started to implement regulations for identifying personal versus business usage on company cell phones. ... "To be able to exclude the use by an employee from taxable income from an employer-owned cell phone, the employer must have some method to require the employee to keep records that distinguish business from personal phone charges. If the telephone is used exclusively for business, all use is excludable from income (as a working condition fringe benefit). The amount that represents personal use is included in the wages of the employee. This includes individual personal calls, as well as a pro rata share of monthly service charges." [IRS]

"While these regulations are only in their infancy phase at this time and only applicable to government agencies, it is only a matter of time before these regulations become a requirement for all businesses."

If I have to keep one more report or one more log I think I might go bag groceries for a living. I wonder how the IRS will make out on that trade vs my current income?

I also like this part... "If the telephone is used exclusively for business, all use is excludable from income (as a working condition fringe benefit)." Don't know the idiot that wrote that, but clearly they don't have to carry a cell phone for business. The fringe benefit is the personal use thereof, not the exclusive use for business, IMO.

Last edited by whoaru99; 06-12-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Resident octogenarian

Not worried, don't have a cell phone, don't have a brain tumor either.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:00 PM

Anybody but you, Rob, I'd have Somethin' Snarky to say right about now...(grin)
Old 06-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Resident octogenarian

I'm serious, read the obits some days.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:11 PM

Between the computer, the cell phone w GPS, OnStar, and the smart grid, the fukkers are going to nail our collective asses to the barn door...and extract their pound of flesh.

Any of you serfs disagree?

Chas
Old 06-12-2009, 05:57 PM

Yeah, I knew about the brain tumor thing...One of the myriad reasons I won't use one o' the damthings meself, other than its just a "Have to" situation. Part of the problem is I have what could politely be called Island-Sized Paws, & I lost a little dexterity when I had that stroke, but the BIG problem is Uncle Arthur Itis. If I had to use one of 'em much, I'd prolly get VERY angry & end up "spiking" the silly-arse thaing...Or try for a new world record in Shot-Putting...(grin)
Old 06-13-2009, 02:50 PM

Skint up devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Yeah, I knew about the brain tumor thing...One of the myriad reasons I won't use one o' the damthings meself, other than its just a "Have to" situation. Part of the problem is I have what could politely be called Island-Sized Paws, & I lost a little dexterity when I had that stroke, but the BIG problem is Uncle Arthur Itis. If I had to use one of 'em much, I'd prolly get VERY angry & end up "spiking" the silly-arse thaing...Or try for a new world record in Shot-Putting...(grin)
You do that too? I can think of several gadgets of mine which wound up being stomped flat, beat with a rigging axe, and thrown into the street. My old computer monitor had a big dent in the top where I smacked it with a S&W.

Didn't seem to scare it too much.

BTW, any luck with your little dog?

Chas
Old 06-13-2009, 03:25 PM

Lauriann, my wife, found him on the back stoop this morning at 5.30, shaking, scared, but otherwise OK.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:04 PM

Yer mutt

Best news I've heard all day. Damn, I love a dog.

Chas