Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Suggestion Box

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:10 AM

"Environment" Subforum?

I think the state and the future of our environment make all the discussions we have here pale in significance, perhaps to the point of irrelevance.

John
Old 10-21-2012, 07:03 PM
reflexionar

I think things in the US are cleaner now than they were 30-40 years ago and still trending that way. Not much we can do about the rest of the world. I think we are trying to go too green too fast. Our economy can't afford the massive green subsidies until the technology gets a bit farther along, and no, I don't think that the research will cease without government funding. I do my part to help, but I am not going to spend excessive green to be green.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I think the state and the future of our environment make all the discussions we have here pale in significance, perhaps to the point of irrelevance.

John
Seconded.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
I think things in the US are cleaner now than they were 30-40 years ago and still trending that way.
Maybe in some ways like lead in our gasoline but with a helluva lot of unknowns like GMOs and the roundup being sprayed on and in everything is alarming to me and don't get me started on some of the practices employed by those motherfrackers!
Old 10-21-2012, 09:02 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
I think things in the US are cleaner now than they were 30-40 years ago and still trending that way. Not much we can do about the rest of the world. I think we are trying to go too green too fast. Our economy can't afford the massive green subsidies until the technology gets a bit farther along, and no, I don't think that the research will cease without government funding. I do my part to help, but I am not going to spend excessive green to be green.
I concur----in part.

I do believe research would be hindered, but not "cease", without government funding. I believe we are still at a stage wherein there is no profit in green technology, and therefore won't get sufficient funding from private institutions. As I see it the private sector should be about profit and the government should provide, to a degree*, financial support to advance technologies where there is as yet, no profit to be had.

(*I think the only disagreement we may have is a matter of degree.)

Regards,
Dave
Old 10-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Admin

Thirded! WTH, I'm a Democrat. We always get to vote twice...
Old 10-31-2012, 05:11 PM
Admin

Why are there only crickets here. I would think that John's idea would be a good one to keep up participation after the upcoming election? Are we are just a red headed stepbastard of AK?
Old 10-31-2012, 06:48 PM

I'm afraid if one looks back on human history as a reference to our future. The slash and burn use it up and move on mentality of the human race dooms us.

I'm sorry but the average "advanced" human will take the cheap and easy way out unless there are outside forces to control these natural tendencies. By outside forces I mean laws and penlites.

One of the worst items for our environment is plastics but do you see the going away? No just getting to be more prevalent every day.

Barney
Old 10-31-2012, 06:50 PM

We're environmentalists leaving room for the crickets.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
I'm afraid if one looks back on human history as a reference to our future. The slash and burn use it up and move on mentality of the human race dooms us.

I'm sorry but the average "advanced" human will take the cheap and easy way out unless there are outside forces to control these natural tendencies. By outside forces I mean laws and penlites.

One of the worst items for our environment is plastics but do you see the going away? No just getting to be more prevalent every day.
Barney
Hey Barney, I still have hope that we can learn and that we are better than the fatalists and the crazy climate change crazies. This franken storm should be a wake up call and a call to arms about global warming.
I saw a Faux talking head proclaiming with great exasperation that anthropogenic climate change has been debunked time and time again. Tell it to the people of New Jersey and New York! I think that anyone talking such trash might find themselves on the sharp end of a stick if they talked their crazy town nonsense anywhere in any of those neighborhoods trashed by this storm! I can't believe that in light of 97% of the scientists saying it is real we have idiots denying this on national TV.