Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
As I recall the Citizen's United was a blatant overreach by activist group masquerading as a precedence respecting court. The attorney's involved had reached an agreement and the chief justice kicked it back down and basically told the attorneys to expand the rights of their corporate sugardaddies.

Corporations are about making money only. The only time they'll donate a penny is for a tax write off or a power grab ala bribing the very people we entrust to govern us.

Trust assumes that there's a two way street but when dealing with corporations it is strictly their way or the highway. (and those highways are rapidly turning into tollroads, if you haven't noticed) They get you comin' and goin'....

I would sooner trust Genghis Khan than a bunch of corporations cause when they're done what ain't Hoovervilles is going to be Masseytown or some similar POS corporate entity like China.
Beautifully stated. Thanks, Bob.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post

If you want to break the "deathgrip" you must drive a wedge between government and the corporate world, not hold a fuckin' wedding.

This ship has sailed a LONG time ago, and news flash - your guy is a corporate goon too.

One thing I like about the United decision, that the political news/candidate/consultant machine encompassing both parties is no longer in total control. Whether it ends up being as entertaining as it should be remains to be seen.

Pete
Old 04-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Easy, peasy-
the last thing you want to do is let big business decide what is best for the country. Those same corporations that had the well spun story of being paternalistic were trying to break up any organizing that was going on, by any means available. Not to mention the Social-ist movement that was raging in response to the Jay Goulds, Rockefellers, Carnegies and Mellons rapacious behavior of the 1880's. The Gilded Age was nothing but hardship and starvation for most of the country.

Sadly it takes a tremendous amount of suffering for the general public to wake up and smell the stench. What's really tragic is that we have to go through it all over and over again every few generations. Big Money gets to edit the history books is how I'm starting to see it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
When I see the arguments put forth by the righties I can only conclude that the Koch Brothers and their ilk have done a great job of brainwashing. The Corporations already own our government and the Robert's court. We may as well just get used to it.
Sadly, you are both spot on, IMO. Although, every now and then........

One night I sat down at the lunch table with two young Dudes in their twenties. There on the Corporate Orwellian telescreen were the usual right-wing Fox piglets running their mouths. I asked the two young gentlemen, both college students working to make their way through school, "So, what do you guys make of that?", glancing towards the screen.

"They're just trying to make slaves of us all.", was one response.

"Romney doesn't care about making money for anyone but Romney. Isn't it obvious?", was the other.

Maybe there is hope for the future?

But, the damage is so deep, it will take a long time.

Dave
Old 04-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
This ship has sailed a LONG time ago, and news flash - your guy is a corporate goon too.

One thing I like about the United decision, that the political news/candidate/consultant machine encompassing both parties is no longer in total control. Whether it ends up being as entertaining as it should be remains to be seen.

Pete
If only they hadn't done it in such a smoke filled back room, underhanded and sleezy fashion. Trust me Pete, I don't need a set of crystal balls to say that their decision is going to be up for review when the composition of the court shifts as it always does. It'll be an easy one to set aside for many reasons. Too bad that so much coin will be wasted righting this perverse decision.

If someone wants to dramatically change the way the country is run they should take it to the people through the normal process of legislation. What the Roberts court has done is to water down (actually, pissed in the face of) the respect and confidence that we had in the court of last resort. (Well, what little was left after their crowning the Shrub in 2000, you know.)

Roberts, IIRC , at his confirmation had stated that he was against activism from the bench and the very next year pulled that Citizens United decision out of thin air. The two sides had already come to a compromise deal and it was narrowly focused on the issue before the court. Never in the 200+ years of the court has this kind of activism been seen. Law is a slowly built up succession of little steps but this one was a freaky gyration of convolutions and outright fables that I think everyone was left slackjawed and stunned by it. No one could believe much less mount any argument against this absolutely brazen power grab.

If ever there was a time for the Ol' Hickory response to a decision coming from the bench, this was it. (Actually, Old Hickory was wrong in his decision to ignore that one, BTW, and should've been impeached. IMO.) But war heroes being war heroes he got away with it.

I for one don't see any entertainment value in demeaning the relevance of the Supreme court but what the hell do I know? I'm just a hophead nail pounder like my esteemed colleague from Bugtussle, ya know?
Old 04-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

If a corporation, a free association of individuals, cannot speak as they see fit, then no organization is safe from government regulation of speech. I think watching everyone scurry is extremely entertaining Wait till one of the new players says something really, really stupid.

Pete
Old 04-18-2012, 02:20 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
If a corporation, a free association of individuals, cannot speak as they see fit, then no organization is safe from government regulation of speech. I think watching everyone scurry is extremely entertaining Wait till one of the new players says something really, really stupid.

Pete
A corporation is a "free association of individuals"? Pete that is the biggest laugh I have had all week.

Speak all they want, they should not be allowed to buy elections. I don't know what the Roberts court has been smoking but they sure are not Camels.

Here is a thought, if a corporation is a person then run one for Congress.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Then unions, nonprofits, any group at all should be silenced. One thing about freedom, it levels the playing field, even if it's scary.

Pete
Old 04-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Resident octogenarian

Me against Chuck Koch is not what I would call a level playing field as regards money being speech.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Admin

C'mon now, bud. Freedom isn't a 'free for all'. There's got to be some rules. Pitting unions against big business is like me whipping out my Schrade Oldtimer pocketknife at a gunfight. We know how that will end, poor stiff crazy Bob layin' in a ditch!
Old 04-18-2012, 03:09 PM
Area Man

Quote:

Pete
This where you are wrong. My employer does not speak for me, only I do.

Just because I work for someone, does not automatically mean I agree with whatever that companies views are. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure there are some issues in which our views are polar opposites.

Dave