Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
C4C hurt the poor. It took the cheap cars off the road, and greatly lowered the amount of used parts available. Keeping that old Lincoln running (Bob I won't buy a new car anyway ) I do have reason to see this.

So, subsidize the middle class at the expense of the poor.

And damage the enviroment anyway?

Dave the Dem machine here has kept a pretty nice boot on Cleveland's poor folks necks. As long as the votes come in.

Pete
forgive me but I somehow missed out on the Great Shortage Of Auto Parts For The Poor under Emperor Obama's First Reign.....

your kidding right Pete?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:01 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

John I went shopping for a cheap used car in early '10. The pickins were mighty slim. And used car prices have definately gone up overall.

Ice, no. The local pullaparts are still coming back to their own hereabouts.

Pete
Old 01-09-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
John I went shopping for a cheap used car in early '10. The pickins were mighty slim. And used car prices have definately gone up overall.

Ice, no. The local pullaparts are still coming back to their own hereabouts.

Pete
I do not know what your definition of cheap is....I am employed and thus can afford a reasonably priced car. Right now across the street from where I work on base there is used car lot with a Honda 2010 with 36,000 miles on it...a steal (well I would call it that for a almost new Honda) at the $13,600 they are asking for it. And if you want a cheaper one...say a really used one for say $1000 there is always CL and friends...
I do not think there is a shortage of used cars....
Old 01-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

It's exactly the $1000 cars I was talking about. Not many poor folks can afford a $13k car.

Pete
Old 01-09-2013, 09:32 AM

I guess if you get extremely lucky you can find something for $1000 that actually will run for a while. I have a friend here who does find these older imports like Honda and Mitsubishi for 1500-2000 bucks but they are all older and have been used. But he gets them through friends,etc. But to be honest your post is the first time I have heard of a shortage of used cars tied to cash for clunkers. In fact given the cirumstances of are fragile economic recovery there should be an abundance of used cars since people cannot afford them like before....
Old 01-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

It was worse a little while back. I have good friends from way back before I 'made' it (although I still don't buy $13k cars! ), some of their kids wheel and deal in cheap cars, for a while there they had a very hard time down in the lowest range. Not a shortage exactly, but to some degree, and prices went up, of course.

Btw, their preferences run to old civics or dodge dakotas

Pete
Old 01-09-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
It was worse a little while back. I have good friends from way back before I 'made' it (although I still don't buy $13k cars! ), some of their kids wheel and deal in cheap cars, for a while there they had a very hard time down in the lowest range. Not a shortage exactly, but to some degree, and prices went up, of course.

Btw, their preferences run to old civics or dodge dakotas

Pete
A perceived shortage, a misconception fostered by people who used Cash For Clunkers to inflate the price of what they were selling. Most people driving $1,000 cars can't afford to buy new cars, no matter what program is being offered. Twenty grand for a new car is still twenty grand. People driving $1,000 cars trade them for $5,000 cars.

John
Old 01-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Someone driving a clean low mile 1989 k car since new would possibly sell it for a few bucks, or trade it in for $2500-4500 under the program. It lowered the amount of used cars available.

I've been buying used cars from old folks as my daily drivers for a while...

Here's a shot of some c4c trade ins.

Pete
Old 01-09-2013, 10:42 AM

See any thousand dollar cars there?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Btw, I was surprised that an old v6 Dakota is one of the hood hustlers go tos for trucks. You'd think F150 or 1500, etc.

Sadly I'm not surprised about the old Civics.

Pete