Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:18 AM

Post My anecdotal observations of the recovering economy:

A couple years ago, when things really started to go to hell, I chose from the beginning to remain optimistic. This was something we as a country had coming to us, but IMO there's almost no way we won't come back. Not like before perhaps (hopefully), but the doom and gloom messages of the media - well, I largely ignored them.

Until this summer I was a store manager in retail, working for a major corporate company that has over 1,300 stores nationwide. Like everyone, we were hurt by the recession. Stores closed (mine almost did too in fact), we stopped hiring part timers for the most part, and my supervisor came down on me (and everyone in our district) harder than ever before when it came to budgeting and saving money.

However... there were signs of dramatic change already in late summer 2009. According to corporate reports, sales suddenly and dramatically rose to higher than ever before during that time of the year, and stayed that way. I saw more and more business in my store. And I'm not talking about people buying the basic necessities, these were luxury purchases.

This continued, and things got even better before I left the company in August 2010. I networked with other store managers both within and out of our company, and they were observing and experiencing the same trends, by and large.

This reinforced my original thought when the economy really began to crumble. It's sort of crude but the message is clear: Americans can't not buy stuff (see ). I say it like that half-jokingly, but I mean it. With whatever money they can scrape up, I think most Americans will, sooner or later, begin to consume at levels that will hopefully help bring back the economy.

More recently a family member who's a carpenter had some good news. For the past two years work for him has gone from more than he could handle to nothing at all. He's losing his house because of it. But as of today, he's booked work through March, and he thinks it'll soon go beyond that. The phone is constantly ringing again.

So these are only anecdotal observations, I know, but I just get a sense that things will, and are, gradually improving. I hope that this time we've learned our lessons.

I also wish we would start making things again, quality products, and become more exporters than the importers we are now, but of course that's another topic...
Old 11-16-2010, 08:38 AM
Resident octogenarian

Some things cannot be put off, frex during the past year we put on a new roof, replaced two patio doors that were suffering from dry rot, had the sidewalk raised and put new flooring and railings on the deck.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:16 AM
Loyal Opposition

I appreciate your optimism, Mr. Lin. I draw from your discussion that you agree that we as Americans are used to consuming far too much. IMHO, that consumption hurts our economy when it is cheap, almost disposable goods from China and other low wage countries. (300 t0 400 dollars for a phone or an ipod with a useable life of one to three years.) I strongly believe that it is in the best interest of this country and the world to consume less and repair more. Live a simpler life.

My growing love for vintage stereo equipment reflects my belief, in that most of what I buy is used (even beyond audio), except for materials and parts. Someone on the AK side linked to this incredible place.

Something that really helps curb the urge to consume is to quit watching television and listening to commercial radio. I have done so, and without the constant exposure to psychological manipulation, i.e. advertising, I find myself much less drawn to the latest fads.

That might be bad for the economy in the short run, but better in the long run?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-19-2010, 12:36 AM

Ok first of all I have to apologize for posting this thread and then completely disappearing for a couple days. I know it sometimes annoys me when other people do that.

Incidentally, I should point out that as of about a year and a half ago I've almost completely stopped watching or reading the news. Back when I was in school working on a history/German degree (about 8 years ago) all I did besides coursework was watch and read the news. I realized that it was making me a bitter, angry person. The constant talk about the sky falling and the U.S. being doomed just got so ridiculous, and that was just the tip of the iceberg.

As a matter of fact, that's why I didn't join this forum until just a few days ago. I thought I wouldn't have anything useful to say, but I guess that's not totally the case.j

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I appreciate your optimism, Mr. Lin. I draw from your discussion that you agree that we as Americans are used to consuming far too much.
Yes absolutely, I've felt that way for a long time. I think our culture is sick and dysfunctional, and I'm not convinced we've learned our lessons this time. There goes the optimism!

Quote:
MHO, that consumption hurts our economy when it is cheap, almost disposable goods from China and other low wage countries. (300 t0 400 dollars for a phone or an ipod with a useable life of one to three years.) I strongly believe that it is in the best interest of this country and the world to consume less and repair more. Live a simpler life.
I'm with you on that one too. We live in the throw-away culture.

Quote:
My growing love for vintage stereo equipment reflects my belief, in that most of what I buy is used (even beyond audio), except for materials and parts. Someone on the AK side linked to this incredible place.
OK I can't claim the same for myself because most of my equipment is fairly new and I refuse to use any kind of solder that doesn't have lead in it.

Quote:
Something that really helps curb the urge to consume is to quit watching television and listening to commercial radio. I have done so, and without the constant exposure to psychological manipulation, i.e. advertising, I find myself much less drawn to the latest fads.

That might be bad for the economy in the short run, but better in the long run?

Regards,

D-Ray
Indeed, that's why I've pretty much stopped watching anything but movies, and I never really listened to the radio much. I suppose my biggest offense as regards consumption is that I purchase tons of music. And "tons" might not be much of an exaggeration if you put it all together.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Area Man

Right. I work for a coffee manufacturer that supplies some of the worlds largest retailers. By January of 2009 we were barely running. Hours cut, people let go, it was getting very ugly. By summer of this year, we were getting much busier. Now we're working six days a week. My 401ks have both recovered their pre-recession levels and have started to surpass.

You do realize there are purely political reasons why few in the press is are reporting anything positive, don't you? It's not time to be optimistic, yet. But, I'm almost certain by this time next year, Fox at least, will be heralding the next "Golden Age". Even if the number haven't budged and inch.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 11-16-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:26 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Right. I work for a coffee manufacturer that supplies some of the worlds largest retailers. By January of 2009 we were barely running. Hours cut, people let go, it was getting very ugly. By summer of this year, we were getting much busier. Now we're working six days a week. My 401ks have both recovered their pre-recession levels and have started to surpass.

You do realize there are purely political reasons why few in the press is are reporting anything positive, don't you? It's not time to be optimistic, yet.

Dave
B-b-b-but Dave, if the press is liberal, wouldn't they be praising the results of the President and the Democratic Congress.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-16-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
B-b-b-but Dave, if the press is liberal, wouldn't they be praising the results of the President and the Democratic Congress.

Regards,

D-Ray
The press is what sells. Bad news sells. Good news...not so much.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:21 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
The press is what sells. Bad news sells. Good news...not so much.
Are you rejecting the GOP party line that the "Mainstream" press is liberal?

I'll agree with you that bad news sells, but one would have to also note that sensationalism sells. The tea party events got as much coverage this past year as the campus protests and sit-ins received in the late '60s early '70s. But, of course, no one at the tea party rallies got shot, gassed, or billy-clubbed - that is, unless you were protesting a tea party candidate, at which point you were subject to having your head stomped on.

It's undeniable, however, that the market for news has been fractured. As Ted Koppel recently noted, more and more people get their "news" from outlets designed to affirm their pre-conceptions. We also have those outlets with an obvious, but denied, (nee "Fair and Balanced") agenda.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-16-2010, 10:39 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

LPs in my local stores have gone waaaay up in price, with the more 'desirable' ones almost unobtainable.

Also the less expensive housing development near me has been building again. When the last street in the very expensive development starts building I'll firmly believe we're about done with the downturn.

Flip side, although business at work has been stable margins still leave much to be desired.

Pete
Old 11-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Resident octogenarian

They are still building McMansions around here, no idea who's buying them, but they are still going up. Since they changed the zoning rules most are on one acre lots (if that big) with common septic tanks. Trouble with that is all the city slickers dump everything down the drain and no one is in charge of having the communal tank pumped. The McMansions up the road from us had some McSewage back up into their McBasements.