Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:37 AM

No rust of any sort on our vehicles ( not even the 79 Camaro ) but my daily driver truck is smashed pretty good. Wife hit a deer at 80 mph and they totaled it. I refused to let 'em junk it and have been driving it as it sits since she hit the deer 14 years ago. Doesn't bother me that it has no hood hinges ( sheered them both out of the metal ) and it's wired to the fenders in the rear. I sold six hotrods, and three trucks but kept my banged up gas saver 94 S10, one nice 99 S10 still mint with very low miles that I never drive, Camaro, two 2000 Cavaliers, and a Saturn. All I got now.. did have a yard full of gas hogs and used to enjoy them.

But you are right, many would spend money if they had it,.. but getting it to spend is another story when employers are sitting on it because they know they can. Sad but true IMO. The fear is in the people.. they've heard ''if we get taxed to death we'll lay-off and work the hell out of the smaller work force or close shop.. or if we are forced to pay more we'll lay-off and work the hell out of the smaller work force or close shop, or if we are forced to pay your insurance we'll lay-off and either work the hell out of the smaller work force or close shop.'' Who's in control, really? It's to the point where the local Ford Dealership started offering 9.00 flat rate to new hire mechanics with ASE certs and expecting that to cover 20k in tool dept ( and that is being very skimpy with tools because the box they prefer you to buy costs half that with no tools in it ) pluss pay their bills at home. The trade has become a joke anymore unless your independent. And what makes it even worse is the fact that they charge the living shit out of the poor customer while paying the tech next to nothing.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Area Man

Yeah, I see that too.

But, to some people, businesses acting like this is called "freedom" and the "American way" and they want to give employers even more of that.

I think it's bullshit and anathema to the "American Way", not representative of it.

But, I'm just a stupid "libtard". What do I know?

Dave
Old 06-14-2014, 09:34 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
Like a friend of mine up the holler. He makes about 32.00hr and drives his old rusty 1982 Ford F-350 flatbed truck with big block 460 4bbl 46 miles one way to the Nissan plant and has been working there over 20 years. It has 4.11 gears with grandma low transmission ( no over drive ) and about 55 mph is all you can go without over running the engine.
Holy shit!

No wonder he doesn't spend much.

Most of his money is going for gas!

He couldn't be getting more than about 5-6 miles to the gallon with a rig like that!

I had a 1974 Buick Electra 225 with the 455 4bbl and it only got 8, and that was with a 2.73 rear end.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:39 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
Who's in control, really? It's to the point where the local Ford Dealership started offering 9.00 flat rate to new hire mechanics with ASE certs and expecting that to cover 20k in tool dept ( and that is being very skimpy with tools because the box they prefer you to buy costs half that with no tools in it ) pluss pay their bills at home.
Good Gawd!

That's all they pay the poor schmucks that work on the car?

9 bucks an hour?

While they charge what?

$80 bucks an hour?

Plus they pad the hours too?

Shit, the bastards should be in fucking jail!
Old 06-16-2014, 11:33 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I spoke to quite a few mechs when my nephew was interested in wrenching and they all said to a man don't do it. A couple did suggest diesel.

Pete
Old 06-16-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Well, that's you and him.

Not trying to be nasty, but, there are just over 310,000,000 more Americans outside the holler. And, not very many of us are content to live so tight.

I have an old truck that I drive to work too. 1997 Dodge Dakota, 5.2 liter (318) two wheel drive. 211,000 miles. Over the last month I've replaced tie rods, ball joints, timing chain, water pump and thermostat. All new hoses. Going back a year, you can add the heater core, fuel pump, alternator, plugs, wires, coil, cap and rotor to that list. Plus I upgraded the brakes with new calipers, ceramic pads and slotted rotors.

Did all of the work myself but used all new, high quality parts. No remans. Trying to get 300,000 miles out of it.

She has dents, scratches, rust and the headliner has fallen, but she runs as strong as a team of Clydesdales.

Dave
Yup...no point in dumping a good vehicle. My 99 Tahoe runs great at 200,000 miles. I don't skimp on the maintenance though. New tires, brakes and shocks last year. Universal joints and tie rod ends. Had the wiper motor replaced this year. Air is a little weak and other than a few burnt out dash bulbs she's good to go mechanically and a hell of a lot cheaper than payments.

(her paint is coming off the hood and roof and she's got a serious case of hail dent....but that character my man...character....)
Old 06-16-2014, 03:04 PM
reflexionar

I have an 04 Dakota 4x4 and an 09 Corolla that the wife drives. If the economy were doing better I would probably buy a new truck, but at the moment I don't see that in my future for a few more years. I am glad I don't have my old 72 F250 anymore. It got just under 7MPG. My Dakota gets about 15 and it is still 10 bucks/day to go to work.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Well, that's you and him.

Not trying to be nasty, but, there are just over 310,000,000 more Americans outside the holler. And, not very many of us are content to live so tight.

I have an old truck that I drive to work too. 1997 Dodge Dakota, 5.2 liter (318) two wheel drive. 211,000 miles. Over the last month I've replaced tie rods, ball joints, timing chain, water pump and thermostat. All new hoses. Going back a year, you can add the heater core, fuel pump, alternator, plugs, wires, coil, cap and rotor to that list. Plus I upgraded the brakes with new calipers, ceramic pads and slotted rotors.

Did all of the work myself but used all new, high quality parts. No remans. Trying to get 300,000 miles out of it.

She has dents, scratches, rust and the headliner has fallen, but she runs as strong as a team of Clydesdales.

Dave
And the grafics and gun rack

Old 06-18-2014, 03:42 PM
reflexionar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-2-7 View Post
And the grafics and gun rack

When did Dodge convert to the blue oval?
Old 06-18-2014, 03:55 PM

It used to be Unions protected workers and kept wages reasonable. Now they've been gutted, our manufacturing base is gone, and people laugh when we talk about paying people a decent wage.

What. You think putting windshield wipers on a Chrysler was harder than cooking burgers at McDonalds?