Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Admin

Politics of Immigration Reform

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...ry.html#page=1

"Insisting that factors beyond his control had created an untenable political situation, President Obama said Saturday that he would postpone his promised executive action to make drastic changes to the immigration system — a delay that leaves tens of thousands of immigrants open to deportation and millions more in limbo." LATimes

I'm sure there will be some glee from the right over the delay.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Admin

""This is clearly not decision-making designed around the best policy — it's Washington politics at its worst," McConnell said in a statement.
Hard-line Alabama Republican Sen. Jeff Sessions put it more bluntly: "The only thing that is more shocking than Senate Democrats' support for the president's planned executive amnesty is the cravenness of asking him to proceed beginning the day after the midterms.""

Sour grape carping from the right. Poor dears, bless their hearts.

Last edited by bobabode; 09-07-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...ry.html#page=1

"Insisting that factors beyond his control had created an untenable political situation, President Obama said Saturday that he would postpone his promised executive action to make drastic changes to the immigration system — a delay that leaves tens of thousands of immigrants open to deportation and millions more in limbo." LATimes

I'm sure there will be some glee from the right over the delay.
The untenable position is that Democrats hoping to win a few contested Senate seats in Red (or purple) states see little chance of doing it if Obama were to push something through by Executive Order. He painted himself into this corner by setting an "end of summer" date.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:52 PM

Obama....or the Democrats have already won the conquest of the Latino vote. The Republicans will rue the day Boehner refused to bring the reform bill to a vote for the following reason: Latinos will not trust a Republican President in office because of the fear they might reverse the executive decisions of Obama. 2016 is in the bag. The only outlier is Jeb Bush, who will have to promise not to undo what Obama will be doing very soon.
You see if you are a Latino-American citizen and your mom and dad are not who the hell are you going to vote for? It is just more than about Dreamers.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:57 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
The untenable position is that Democrats hoping to win a few contested Senate seats in Red (or purple) states see little chance of doing it if Obama were to push something through by Executive Order. He painted himself into this corner by setting an "end of summer" date.
Got to spin up the DVR and watch the 'Meet The Press' interview with Chuckie Todd.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
He painted himself into this corner by setting an "end of summer" date.
He has a passion for that.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:15 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
He has a passion for that.
Indeed. Self-imposed deadlines are rarely a good idea, particularly in politics. He cooked up this idea to embarrass the GOP and it ended up backfiring. He's a smart guy, but not a great politician.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:39 PM
Admin

Quote:
Indeed. Self-imposed deadlines are rarely a good idea, particularly in politics. He cooked up this idea to embarrass the GOP and it ended up backfiring. He's a smart guy, but not a great politician.

Agreed on the "deadline" stuff but the 'invasion' of kids from Central America changed the political landscape over the summer and the far right controlled the narrative in the early days of that bit of news.
It appears that Obama was forced to backtrack a bit which I support, of course. In the present political climate the Dems have to control the Senate to lead or at the least block the wackjobs who control the House.

So far I'm liking Mr. Todd's centrist slant as opposed to his predecessor. I may have to start watching 'Meet the Press' again.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:14 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
So far I'm liking Mr. Todd's centrist slant as opposed to his predecessor. I may have to start watching 'Meet the Press' again.
I've grown pretty tired of the Sunday morning talkies. I jump around with the remote and watch snippets of several while on my exercise bike. The only one that I watch fully is Fareed Zakaria's show. He tends to feature smart people with good insights. The others are the same old talking heads and political guests. If I never see John McCain again on Sunday morning TV, it will be too soon.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I've grown pretty tired of the Sunday morning talkies. I jump around with the remote and watch snippets of several while on my exercise bike. The only one that I watch fully is Fareed Zakaria's show. He tends to feature smart people with good insights. The others are the same old talking heads and political guests. If I never see John McCain again on Sunday morning TV, it will be too soon.
I really like Fareed Zakaria.