Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:47 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
You just have to be able to read between the lines. And the lines are widely spaced, with lots of room between them.

The TPP vastly increases corporate power. Multi-nationals will have arbitrators and tribunals in their pocket, with the power to award them billions. Under these conditions, even if the FLSA is not technically on the table, the multis have tremendous leverage. They can say 'we just need certain exceptions to the FLSA for [some particular project].' They can say 'if we don't get them, you'll be sorry.'

Power is used to get more power.
Whatever. The Davis-Bacon act is still an anachronism.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:52 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Whatever. The Davis-Bacon act is still an anachronism.
In that it reflects union power that doesn't exist anymore. Sure.

But that doesn't make 'all power to the multis' a great thing.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:23 AM
Area Man

Wonderful.

Anything that forces wages down is a great thing for the American people!

How about abolishing direct hiring and go to a temp agency based economy? See, that way we can create another layer of do-nothing prick middlemen who collect half of what Uncle Sam lets you keep for the privilege of having had to go through them to get a lousy, low wage, no benefit job!

Man, Oh MAN, this New America is gonna be GREAT!

Actually.......If it comes down to this sort of thing.......Fuck this place. I hope it goes down the toilet and good riddance to it. I am rapidly losing sight of why anyone in their right mind would risk life and limb for a country that has this attitude towards its workers.

Seriously.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:49 AM

My part-time employer just forced me into direct deposit otherwise they were going to pay me with this Bank Of America payroll atm card...redeemable at Bank of America atms of course. Bullshit called Money Network. The employees who do not have bank accounts....and that is possible because of the low wages some of the support staff get..will be screwed. Plus HR made it sound like if you did not sign up for direct deposit by a certain date you never would be able to.

I don't mind direct deposit but I believe in paying people in check if they need it that way so as to avoid extra fees at atms. Some states require employers to offer direct deposit by law...don't know if Cali is one....but some states do not.

I can tell you there is a Republican behind paying people with debit cards...I just know it.
I just hope the Dixiecrat version of the GOP we have now would die soon and not take the country down with them.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:59 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
My part-time employer just forced me into direct deposit otherwise they were going to pay me with this Bank Of America payroll atm card...redeemable at Bank of America atms of course. Bullshit called Money Network. The employees who do not have bank accounts....and that is possible because of the low wages some of the support staff get..will be screwed. Plus HR made it sound like if you did not sign up for direct deposit by a certain date you never would be able to.

I don't mind direct deposit but I believe in paying people in check if they need it that way so as to avoid extra fees at atms. Some states require employers to offer direct deposit by law...don't know if Cali is one....but some states do not.

I can tell you there is a Republican behind paying people with debit cards...I just know it.
I just hope the Dixiecrat version of the GOP we have now would die soon and not take the country down with them.
My employer did that some time ago, using ADP. It also makes it easier for them to screw up employee paychecks and have it go undetected as some people (Most people?) fail to go online and read their statements.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
My employer did that some time ago, using ADP. It also makes it easier for them to screw up employee paychecks and have it go undetected as some people (Most people?) fail to go online and read their statements.
Is that how you get paid?

I guess the employer gets to cut the payroll people so they can save more money. If I want to give my money to Bank Of America (and I don't since Bof A will nickel and dime you to death with fees) I should make that decision.

I always liked a paycheck at my part-time job because when I was in the Navy it was cool to actually look at a check and know I was pulling in more than a Master Chief when I was just an E-5.

As far as cutting wages in Michigan goes it will just speed the decline of that state. You see what the GOP is doing to Kansas.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:47 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Wonderful.

Anything that forces wages down is a great thing for the American people!

How about abolishing direct hiring and go to a temp agency based economy?
The Davis-Bacon Act only applies to Federally-funded construction contracts, not to other Federal contracts, nor to construction projects in the private sector. All it does is increase the price of Federally-funded construction while confusing prospective bidders outside of the area in which the prevailing wage rate is determined.

A little research on the Davis-Bacon Act (or better yet, experience managing projects subject to it) is in order before one rails on about its wonderfulness. If a union work force in the construction industry resulted in increased productivity or quality commensurate with union wages, such laws would have no effect. However, with their ridiculous work rules, this ain't remotely true (and accounts, in part, for why the construction industry is 13% organized).

Last edited by finnbow; 06-17-2015 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:25 AM

The GOP see this as a problem with prices of goods and taxes being to high. Wages would be fine if everything was cheaper. So just outsource jobs to other countries or better yet get a machine to do it. Get them cost down!

Barney
Old 06-17-2015, 08:20 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
The GOP see this as a problem with prices of goods and taxes being to high. Wages would be fine if everything was cheaper. So just outsource jobs to other countries or better yet get a machine to do it. Get them cost down!

Barney
One doesn't outsource construction to other countries. A facility built in Beijing doesn't serve meet the demands of a customer who needs a facility built in Boston.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:45 AM

Qatar World Cup construction projects.