Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:27 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
The cost of college tuition these days is nothing short of criminal. Just for kicks, I looked up the tuition for the two colleges I attended, Georgetown and the University of Maryland.

When I attended Georgetown, the per semester tuition plus board and expenses was between $2,000 and $3,000. Here's what it costs now.

http://finaid.georgetown.edu/cost-of.../undergraduate

At Maryland, where I was a commuter, it cost about $500 per semester. Current costs are below.

http://www.admissions.umd.edu/costs/

Granted, this increase is for a period of around 50 years but I still find it mind-boggling.

And Kipplinger rates Maryland as the 7th best "bargain" in state schools.

John
I did a little analysis of the cost increases since I went to college in the late 1960's. Tuition at the same school I went to has gone up four times as fast as inflation since that time. On the other had the minimum wage, which was what I was making when I worked my way through college, has gone up less than inflation. There's no way I could have afforded to go today, given the same situation.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
In 2010, we had someone write in a comment to the local Virginia Beach newspaper that the "onerous tax burden" of the ACA was going to be "devastating" to his family........"........because it is already nearly impossible to raise three kids on an (annual) income of $250k, these days.".

America is a nation of victims. Everyone is now a victim, even the most affluent among us. It is completely absurd and I am afraid we will never snap out of it.

Dave
$350,000 is equivalent to $25,000 back in the day.