Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-29-2018, 01:19 PM

Hand In Hand: Trump and White Supremacy

"I would be willing to “shut down” government if the Democrats do not give us the votes for Border Security, which includes the Wall! Must get rid of Lottery, Catch & Release etc. and finally go to system of Immigration based on MERIT! We need great people coming into our Country!"

The President of the United States, 29 July 2018.

I studied American immigration back at Kent State. The general trend was that there was always a backlash against the most recent wave of immigrants. In the 1840s for example many Americans were upset about the Irish who came to America and nativists were casting dire warnings about all sorts of things that were going to happen, such as reduction in wages, a rise in Catholicism, etc.

Same thing happened in the last part of the 19th Century when immigrants began coming from Italy and other parts of Southern and Southeastern Europe. People born here upset about possible loss in wages, etc but their was a racist element in that many of these latter 19th century immigrants
were darker in complexion.

https://history.state.gov/milestones...mmigration-act

It is easy to see where The President wants to put take immigration back a century. And of course why.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:26 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I studied American immigration back at Kent State. The general trend was that there was always a backlash against the most recent wave of immigrants. In the 1840s for example many Americans were upset about the Irish who came to America and nativists were casting dire warnings about all sorts of things that were going to happen, such as reduction in wages, a rise in Catholicism, etc....
Just today in the WashPost is an article about a small Pennsylvania town which has always had White Supremacist leanings going full-bore since Trump was elected:

Neo-Nazis and their opponents here say that white extremists have grown more confident — and confrontational — since the rise of Donald Trump. Two months before the 2016 presidential election, the KKK established a “24 hour Klan Line” and sent goody bags containing lollipops and fliers to hundreds of homes. “You can sleep tonight knowing the Klan is awake,” the message read. A regional newspaper ran Klan advertisements saying, “God bless the KKK.”

Local police said the group had not openly recruited in years.

Two weeks later, the area’s two neo-Nazi groups, the National Soci@list Movement (NSM) and Aryan Strike Force, held a “white unity meeting” in Ulysses to discuss their response to Trump and plan joint action. One organizer would not say when the groups had last met, simply commenting: “It’s just a good time.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...306_story.html
Old 07-29-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Just today in the WashPost is an article about a small Pennsylvania town which has always had White Supremacist leanings going full-bore since Trump was elected:

Neo-Nazis and their opponents here say that white extremists have grown more confident — and confrontational — since the rise of Donald Trump. Two months before the 2016 presidential election, the KKK established a “24 hour Klan Line” and sent goody bags containing lollipops and fliers to hundreds of homes. “You can sleep tonight knowing the Klan is awake,” the message read. A regional newspaper ran Klan advertisements saying, “God bless the KKK.”

Local police said the group had not openly recruited in years.

Two weeks later, the area’s two neo-Nazi groups, the National Soci@list Movement (NSM) and Aryan Strike Force, held a “white unity meeting” in Ulysses to discuss their response to Trump and plan joint action. One organizer would not say when the groups had last met, simply commenting: “It’s just a good time.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...306_story.html
I know it seems extreme to equate the President with white supremacy, or would in normal times anyway, however one cannot discount the words and actions of the Mr. Trump in the 18 months he has been in office.

Charlottesville
Puerto Rico
Use of the term "animals" and "infestation" to describe immigrants.
Calling football players SOBs for kneeling during the national anthem.

And of course using the children of immigrants seeking asylum as "human shields" in an effort to make Democrats pass just the sort of nativist immigration acts that were in effect until the 1950s and 1960s. Never mind that children and parents were the victims of this exercise in family destruction.

I think we are really fortunate that America is made up of 60 percent of citizens who don't support Trump. However a party that is less popular and in the minority is controlling the nation right now. In the early 20th Century in Europe parties that were not in the majority were able to take over nations and wreak havoc.

Could it happen here? Usually you would never think so in a million years.
But just take a look at the Republican Congress and their unwillingness to oppose Trump, and in many cases try to out "Trump him" so they can win re-election in their home districts. Winning is all that counts.

The next two elections are crucial.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:45 PM
Area Man

While planning a stargazing trip to Cherry Springs State Park, PA in September I decided to browse the internet for things to do during the day in surrounding towns. Restaurants, sight-seeing and the like. I clicked on the news link and came across these articles...….

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles...0m/0na/024000c

http://old.post-gazette.com/nation/20020728arayans2.asp

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/poli...513-story.html

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/po...for_Trump.html

http://www.bradfordera.com/news/pott...744a3af99.html

http://www.bradfordera.com/news/neo-...2f0cffbc5.html

Holy Shit!

This prompted me to dig deeper and learn everything I could about hate groups in America. Using what resources the FBI and SPLC have available and whatever else I could find...…….Folks, we have a mess on our hands.

And yet, we are told by our friends on the right that racism no longer exists. Or, put more accurately, when you point racism out they accuse YOU of being the racist.

What do you guys make of this?
Old 07-30-2018, 06:06 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
While planning a stargazing trip to Cherry Springs State Park, PA in September I decided to browse the internet for things to do during the day in surrounding towns. Restaurants, sight-seeing and the like. I clicked on the news link and came across these articles...
Holy Shit!

This prompted me to dig deeper and learn everything I could about hate groups in America. Using what resources the FBI and SPLC have available and whatever else I could find...…….Folks, we have a mess on our hands.

And yet, we are told by our friends on the right that racism no longer exists. Or, put more accurately, when you point racism out they accuse YOU of being the racist.

Real Americans, patriots.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:33 AM

I just finished reading "In the Garden of Beasts" by Eric Larson.
Highly recommended!
Old 07-30-2018, 11:19 AM
Jigsawed

There is another side.

A call for the abolition of ICE and the non recognition of borders.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
There is another side.

A call for the abolition of ICE and the non recognition of borders.
There are fringe elements on both sides, but the fringe elements supporting Trump are truly unhinged. Majority of Americans as in Republicans, Democrats and Independents are opposed to abolishing ICE. And pray tell, who is for open borders, or is that code for the Dotard Wall?
Old 07-30-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Holy Shit!

I actually feel sorry for these folks. They have permanently disfigured themselves with their requisite tattoos with bold statements and will find it difficult to succeed in the racially diverse America of today. Yes, they can live in their own little bubble but will not be able to pursue or realize the rewards of living in America. Sad, as their leader likes to say.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:07 AM

One observation most can agree on, all racists and xenophobes are out now without shame!

Feel in powered, even in control. No longer content to be in the shadows or hiding under a rock.

One who over hears conversations in the wild, see the stickers proudly on display on vehicles. Never any attempt is made to hide these hateful views.

Barney