Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:56 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
I had a handyman work in my house for a couple of days. On the second day he started to talk politics with me (I was his helper) and told him politely that I read a lot, do not watch TV or listen to radio and am reasonably well informed. That did not deter him, he continued to talk about current state of affairs and what a bang up job Trump was doing. Of course, it was all about how Trump was righting all the bad that Obama had done. I let all this this pass and in the end asked what his source of information was.

Limbaugh, Hannity, Michael Savage. Just about every wingnut on Frightwing radio.
He proudly mentioned that he avoids TV because of the likes of CNN and MSNBC.
As if there is any difference between right and left wing propaganda? "A rose by any name would still smell as sweet...." As would any lie by any liar still smell like poop. When in the hell are people going to realize that it's ALL propaganda, Rajoo? Telling people what they WANT to hear isn't telling them the "truth", it's reinforcing their misconceptions...…. Good Grief!
Old 05-28-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Nazification?
Yes, I know the history and don't just throw the term as an adjective.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
I was resistant to this terminology for a year, but the parallels are too many and too obvious to ignore. The Right has demonized the "others" and "elites" as the source of all problems, coopted industry, the military, religion as enabling allies, deligitamized objective information channels to propagate distrust in factual information, and used propagandists to control the narrative, white native populism as patriotism.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:26 AM
Area Man

Quote:
I've had those arguments and buried them in facts, links, references..... Until they just give up and disappear. American fascism is different than the wide open style the Nazis engaged in but it's there. Look at how easily people buy into the lies Trump spews. Even when one of his flunkies slips and refers to his statements "alternative facts", they dismiss and continue to deny. Trump himself said that it doesn't matter what he says or does, "...I could shoot somebody in Times Square and they'd still vote for me.".

I still think that at the root of it all is the belief that Democracy is bad, "Businessmen" have all the answers and that possession of wealth automatically equates to intelligence and righteousness. "So just shut up, do your job and everything with be fine.". If you think things are interesting now, wait until those birds come home to roost.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:35 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post

Israel is a big beneficiary of Trump. The Judiciary is very strong. Freedom of speech is entrenched. Protection for any minority is still strong.

Trump is playing everyone except Israel.

Last edited by Dondilion; 05-28-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:40 AM
Area Man

Quote:
I was resistant to this terminology for a year, but the parallels are too many and too obvious to ignore. The Right has demonized the "others" and "elites" as the source of all problems, coopted industry, the military, religion as enabling allies, deligitamized objective information channels to propagate distrust in factual information, and used propagandists to control the narrative, white native populism as patriotism.
Exactly! And very well stated, BTW.

I did momentarily see a flicker of light in a friends eyes when I explained to him that government and military isn't supposed to be there to protect symbols like flags, lapel pins or anthems. They should exist to protect the people. When the day comes that symbols become more important than our rights, our lives no longer have any value to those in power. At that point, we exist to support the political machine. Not good.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:42 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Israel is a big beneficiary of Trump. The Judiciary is very strong. Freedom of speech is entrenched. Protection for any minority is still strong.
When it comes to your last two points; Really? Is it?
Old 05-28-2018, 12:05 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
When it comes to your last two points; Really? Is it?
Compare to say Europe. For instance, one can go to prison for words in several European countries.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:29 PM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Nazification?
It's all around us!

For example: Congress remains in session. There will be a free and open election this coming November, and it appears the opposition party has a very good chance of controlling both houses. Our press remains free. Just look at what they're saying about der Trumpenfuhrer. We citizen still have our free speech. The court even ruled against Trump blocking citizens from commenting on his tweets.

Nevermind.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
It's all around us!

For example: Congress remains in session. There will be a free and open election this coming November, and it appears the opposition party has a very good chance of controlling both houses. Our press remains free. Just look at what they're saying about der Trumpenfuhrer. We citizen still have our free speech. The court even ruled against Trump blocking citizens from commenting on his tweets.

Nevermind.
I'd like to have your faith in the system self-correcting, but I'm surrounded by Trump chumps willingly marinating themselves in his bullshit, and I'm not seeing an epiphany anytime soon.