Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:42 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
But since you're not producing anything of value that can be taxed, it won't take long for my Type A ability to purchase luxuries to be diminished so that the economy can continue to provide your Type B basic necessities. After a while we type A's will want you to be productive, because the economy can't afford you anymore. Couple that with some of my fellow type A's who might find the type B lifestyle gradually more appealing as time goes on, and you'll run out of enough type A's to keep things funded.
You are assuming some things here. One is that the guaranteed wage has to be paid for with taxes. But my proposal is to pay for it with created money, as is done with quantitative easing.

Second, you assume that if people don't mostly all work, we won't have enough stuff. That is exactly the economic earthquake now shaking under your very feet--the change away from an economy of scarcity, brought to you by robotics and AI. Mass consumption will not be funded by wages that no one intends to pay because the workers are NOT NEEDED for production. We either maintain the ability to consume by other means, or just let a bunch of people pick garbage at the dumps.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:48 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Place a tax on all the jobs replaced by automation. To be used in retraining or maintaining those displaced.
Go to a thee day and a half day workweek and increase vacation time. In order to employ more people.

Barney
Sorry, not allowed. As whell points out, the .01% have no intention to pay taxes, or allow taxes on enterprise that cut into their 'earnings.' That is what makes my plan to finance consumption with created money necessary. Fortunately, the .01%'s determination to horde maximum profits means we won't have to contend with hyper-inflation when we do this.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:48 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
But since you're not producing anything of value that can be taxed, it won't take long for my Type A ability to purchase luxuries to be diminished so that the economy can continue to provide your Type B basic necessities. After a while we type A's will want you to be productive, because the economy can't afford you anymore. Couple that with some of my fellow type A's who might find the type B lifestyle gradually more appealing as time goes on, and you'll run out of enough type A's to keep things funded.
Being a Type B, I'm not going to expend any of my own effort to reply to you.

Instead I'll go with "What Don said".

http://www.politicalchat.org/showpos...7&postcount=11
Old 02-10-2017, 05:54 PM
Ready

This plan is imminently doable because the rich will come around to loving it. Their taxes do not go up, all the profits still go to them, and there will be more and more profits because with demand restored the economy will take off like a rocket! They will get richer than they ever dreamed!
Old 02-10-2017, 05:56 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
But since you're not producing anything of value
I've been skating like that for the past 9 years.

40 years if you count the 31 years I spent "working" for the government.

My contribution to society has been pumping my paychecks and then my pension and social security checks back into the economy. The worker bees seem to like it when I do that.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:57 PM
Admin

No guillotines? There has to be guillotines.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:59 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Place a tax on all the jobs replaced by automation. To be used in retraining or maintaining those displaced.
Go to a thee day and a half day workweek and increase vacation time. In order to employ more people.

Barney
The six hour workday works in Europe. What about America?

Labor force...sick less, work harder, lower stress.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-about-america
Old 02-10-2017, 06:03 PM
Ready

Oh no, no guillotines. We don't lop off the heads of the rich. First of all it would be very hard, if they find out you've got that in mind, they will fight. They can hire henchmen who will disappear you, or take many other sorts of unpleasant measures. They can be a real tough bunch, with lots of resources.

And there's no need to get into that big hairy fight. It's not like we have to kill them and take their money. We just make more.

The beauty of my scheme is we don't have to turn society upside down with a bloody revolution. We just make one relatively easy change, and then things just roll along as they are, except lots of people are out of privation, and the economy perks up a lot.

Last edited by donquixote99; 02-10-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
I don't care what anybody says, due to dramatic increases in worker productivity we have a surplus of labor.
Uncontrolled and irresponsible breeding are the cause of the labor surplus. The United states has doubled it's population in the past 65 years.

We need to strictly control breeding. Having babies is NOT a right guaranteed by the constitution.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
No guillotines? There has to be guillotines.
I agree.