Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:59 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
I too retired in 08. When asked how I'm enjoying retirement my canned response is "beats workin."
My Dad had to start working at 14, it was the Great Depression and he was left with no choice, (His father was an alcoholic, incapable of holding a job.). He didn't retire until he was 68. In fact, he too didn't want to retire even then because he had the same ideas in his head that so many people seem to be adopting today; That ANYONE who stops working for any reason is a "bum", etc., etc.....

After he retired, all of that changed. He saw the light. At 68, he was finally free of the yoke.

I am tired of people who don't see that what's going on here is that union pensions, Social Security, Medicare......All of these things made it possible for people like my Dad and his generation to stop working at an age where they were still young and healthy enough to enjoy the free time before they pass. They have convinced a sizeable portion of our current workforce that this is somehow shameful, that it's "welfare" and so on. It has no other purpose than to create an environment wherein work can only be escaped by death or dependency upon relatives, not even after one grows too old to continue.

The Republican Party despises Democracy, despises collective action, hates it when workers look out for each other, despises dissent against their ideology, (Under the notion that their way is the "American Way".) Anyone who complains, strikes or protests is a "pussy" or a "whiner"..............

Can it get any more obvious what that's all about?

Last edited by BlueStreak; 04-29-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:10 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
You got that right.

My primary care physician is trying to scare me into taking blood pressure and cholesterol reducing medications. His medical group has a computer program that calculates a bunch of alarming risks (based on my data) which are displayed on a screen.
I finally caved to that pressure, due to a couple scary episodes. I now take cholesterol medication...... The thing is that there was no mention of diabetes in my check-ups until AFTER I started taking the Statin. A Google search revealed that elevated blood sugar is a known side effect of statin use, although my PCP still insists the two are not connected. Now he wants me to start taking Metformin.............

Ugh........ I don't know about all of this.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:41 AM

I recommend an automated BP device, used according to directions, and take at least three readings per session.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I finally caved to that pressure, due to a couple scary episodes. I now take cholesterol medication...... The thing is that there was no mention of diabetes in my check-ups until AFTER I started taking the Statin. A Google search revealed that elevated blood sugar is a known side effect of statin use, although my PCP still insists the two are not connected. Now he wants me to start taking Metformin.............

Ugh........ I don't know about all of this.
Do it before your diabetes gets worse. I am on insulin and Metformin.

Listen to your doctor not the internet.

You don't want to lose a leg or have a stroke because diabetes will sneak up on you without you knowing about it.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
It's propaganda.

It's designed to sell you on their Master Plan to gut medicare and social security.

Two of my best buddies where I worked both had more time in than me.

And they were always talking about how as soon as they got their 30 years in they would retire.

Well their 30 year anniversaries rolled around and they both decided to stay just a little bit longer to fatten up their pensions.

So when my time came I bailed and they were still working.

Well guess what?

They're both dead.

One crapped out on the job.

The other got to collect that bigger pension for about 5 months.
They wanted to milk that state government retirement because by that point when they showed up for work they weren't really doing anything anyway right? Wow Tom you are just made in the shade with state retirement you got!
Old 04-29-2016, 11:00 AM
reflexionar

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I have spent a good part of my career representing workers in the construction industry. They fight hard to keep the ability to retire for people who have put 30 years in the trade. Much of their work simply wears out a body. The work that they do is essential to progress, so by the time they retire, they have earned it.

My work doesn't take the same physical toll, and I enjoy it. I will likely keep my hand in it in some way until I kick the bucket.

Regards,

D-Ray
My little sister is an employment attorney for Osborne/Maledon in Phoenix. I was just informed this morning that she is going after a judge position in Maricopa county. I envision that as a career with some longevity. Many Judges work to a fairly old age.

Myself, not so much. My dad died at 66. My stepfather died at 53. My wifes dad died when he was in his 50's. My grandpa Hugh was the first Holland male to reach 80, and died at 81. My maternal grandparents both lived into their 90's. My son died at 34. I have no idea when my time will be up, but if I live long enough I will retire at my first opportunity. I already do a lot of things that I once was going to put off until retirement just because after the kid died, that really put mortality in perspective. Another big reason I moved to central Oregon this year. I don't care for statistics and averages much I am fairly healthy. My labs all come back excellent, with the exception of a bit high liver readings which I attribute to a wild youth and a lot of NSAID use since I have pretty much worn my body out a bit prematurely as I have always worked pretty physical jobs.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:08 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKpClbqc4QY
Old 04-29-2016, 11:33 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
They wanted to milk that state government retirement because by that point when they showed up for work they weren't really doing anything anyway right? Wow Tom you are just made in the shade with state retirement you got!
You would know, being on that Retired Military/GS Gravy Train.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:36 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Do it before your diabetes gets worse. I am on insulin and Metformin.

You don't want to lose a leg or have a stroke because diabetes will sneak up on you without you knowing about it.
I searched for info AFTER the doctor told me my blood sugar had become too high, AFTER I had been taking the statin for about a year.

No diabetes - statins - diabetes.

I simply searched "Statins side effects" and got many hits from various sources, including the pharma manufacturers themselves, yielding very similar results.

Statins drive up your sugar levels, regardless of what the doctor tells you.

I've also discovered, through experimentation, that reasonable exercise and proper diet do WAY more to correct these problems than the drugs do. Unfortunately, I'm a lazy man and I'm not very good at maintaining a consistent exercise regimen.......
Old 04-29-2016, 11:55 AM

That's the trouble with drugs that are supposed to cure.... Sometimes the side effects are not worth it.

The cancer drug I'm on causes blood clots in the legs which I now have. I talked to the doc about stopping the cancer drug because the blood clots can be deadly. He told me the cancer can be deadly too.

I can't wait to retire and if it weren't for the fact that I'm not old enough for Medicare ....I would retire today.