Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:13 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post

Now if he is brand new to the agency and wants to keep the job sometimes you have to do the really annoying stuff like what you just detailed in order to make a good reputation and gain regular hours....they tend to call those who tend to show up and thus give them regular hours because they have a reputation for reliability. But if he has been doing this for a few years then they are just using him to save money.
so you are suggesting that she (not he) incur $11.20 in expenses to earn $10 for a one hour gig?

BTW, she did do this one week, 4 days, for just the reasons you suggest.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
so you are suggesting that she (not he) incur $11.20 in expenses to earn $10 for a one hour gig?

BTW, she did do this one week, 4 days, for just the reasons you suggest.
Not suggesting, just letting you know that when people work in a registry those that get called in more often than others are those that say yes a lot,
even when it is really not worth it. I cannot imagine that the company she works for would pull this stuff all the time, otherwise no one would work there.

$10 bucks seems very low to me....

How are her co-workers doing?

My best advice is to get more training if possible...the only way up in the medical field is college and licensing. It is very difficult to make a living wage unless you are an RN, PA, Licensed Medical Imager or PT tech.

What has really happened is that the RN has become the defacto health care worker....where as before you would have LVNs, CNAs and orderlies (to be more correct they are called transporters these days) and RNs now there are just RNs and they end up doing a lot of the stuff LVNs and CNAs did and thus hospitals can save money by not hiring the lower scale positions.

My gut instinct tells me the CNAs that have disappeared from my hospital (we had many in the 90s) are the ones working in the home health care industries. But I do not really know.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:14 PM
Abby Normal

the latest.....

She gets a text for an 8 hour day tomarrow. Calls in to accept... literally less than 3 minutes later...

"oh, sorry, I sent the text to 3 people and someone accepted already"

this is the great American. Capitalism at it's zenith.

Unions are evil.

Poor folks are lazy.

My youngest had a similar experience this summer.

Complete different industry. Just treated like trash. She missed practices (for freakin Olympic qualifying no less) and pro amp games yet would be sent home after an hour from an 8 hour schedule or be called last minute and told not to come in at all.

Wound up making 56 dollars on the summer and was tied up for weeks.

Something is very wrong in America.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:24 AM
Administrator

Not to be Mr. obvious here but your friend really needs a new gig. Even working for min wage somewhere would pay more than this scam of a job..
Old 09-19-2015, 08:31 PM

I would look for a new agency if possible without quitting the old one....
if she could get better hours with a new one and then use the other one for some random hours it would be good in that she would have two sources of income...

I would imagine other agencies probably pull the same shit....her co-workers probably know the good places.

I am under the suspicion that Medicare and Medicaid pay these agencies to provide home care, and they in turn try to maximize their overhead by low balling on wages and hours.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:50 PM

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/court-re...-care-workers/

Here is the reason: FDR's Fair Labor And Standards Act exempted domestic service from wage regulations, and home health care workers are considered domestic servants instead of regular employees. That is why they are not paid very well. Obama's Labor Department has tried to shore up protections for home health care workers but a Federal judge overturned that action, but that has been reversed on appeal.

What we really need is a Democratic Congress.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Home heath care employees receive very low pay and suffer many abuses.
I have heard this as well from some in the industry. It is a hard job.