Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-30-2011, 12:49 AM
Area Man

I just don't get it....................

My home state of Ohio recently passed legislation making it legal to carry a gun into sporting events, and I believe into church as well.

Now, those of you who have been around here for a while know I am not against individuals owning guns for hunting, target shooting or personal protection. Despite the fact that I don't own any myself.

However,
Something has been bugging me for a while now. It is not a question of the legality or constitutionality of gun ownership, nor is it a question of the morality of possessing guns.

What I have been wondering about is the psychology behind individuals who seem to feel as though our society is such a dangerous, horrible place that they must be armed at all times. Is it really all that bad? I can't fathom why so many would feel it's a necessity to pack heat in church? Oh, I know, I heard the story about a guy who went off a shot up a church too. But, considering the number of churches in this country, I would say that one church shootout in the last year, or ten, or hundred years (As the case may be.) really isn't bad, statistically speaking. You stand a better chance of getting hit by lightning.

I posted my simple question on FaceBook, knowing it would get a rise out of my friends and family in Ohio. The answers ranged from "Darwinism at it's best.", which I thought was humorous, to "I saw a guy get beat up in a bathroom at a Browns game." to "You're never really safe anywhere." to a guy who says he carries carries a weapon "...everywhere I go, even when I'm cutting the grass, or in the shithouse taking a dump. I have a CCW permit that's good in twenty three states....(Blah, blah, bah..)". He even went on to say that he's "proud to be armed at all times, it's my constitutional right." As if it's some patriotic badge of honor to be seen packing heat in public. WTF.

Now, I live in the same country as these folks do. As a matter of fact, I live in a crappier neighborhood than most of them do. I've never owned a gun, and it's NEVER been an issue. Not once, in the twenty two years I've lived here, or the forty seven years I've sucked air. I just don't see that it's such an imperative. Yes, I know the world is unpredictable, that anything can happen anywhere. But, it seems to me that the current trend is just a tad irrational.

So, what is it? What is making so many people believe they have to be armed to the teeth "at all times"?

A) Is it the medias constant ambulance chasing?

B) Is it the result of some sort of political hullabaloo being spewed about by goofy politicians?

C). Or is it a reaction to the notion that stricter gun controls may come about in the future?

D) Or maybe a fairly large chunk of our populace is just rapidly losing their minds?

Maybe it's (E)---All of the above?

A loaded gun stashed in every room of the house, never beyond arms reach? Really? Is your neighborhood that bad? If so, why don't you just move? WTF, Dude?

Has anyone else here been wondering the same thing?

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 05-30-2011 at 12:52 AM.