Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:37 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
We could start with vaccinations right here, measels has resurfaced in the US.
Polio is making a comeback too.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:39 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Yay.

Pete
Old 02-17-2014, 02:40 PM
Persona non grata

Old 02-17-2014, 02:43 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I think the real issue is how much money we're willing to spend to make no measurable difference in world climate, particularly with China and India not playing along. Hell, Europe recently bailed on its own targets due to cost (and lack of results).

Bottom line - If we want to "save the world," there are a lot cheaper and more effective ways of doing so (vaccinations and AIDS treatment in the third world, potable water ...)
Thinking of a two year stint in the Peace Corps Pat? It's all the rage in the newly retired set. I'm sure your skill sets are sorely needed.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:02 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Thinking of a two year stint in the Peace Corps Pat? It's all the rage in the newly retired set. I'm sure your skill sets are sorely needed.
I'm not sure that's for me, though my sister has volunteered all over the world in her specialty (she's a Licensed Clinical Social Worker specializing in grief counseling after large disasters). She worked 9/11, the Tsunami in Indonesia and southern India, and numerous earthquakes in Central and South America. She and her husband (a retired mechanical engineer) also spent 6 months in Bolivia and several in Ecuador working in remote orphanages, she doing counseling and him doing handyman stuff. They're in Guatemala now for a month. As well traveled as I am, these 2 put me to shame, particularly in the Third World.

I'm too busy doing fun travel now to get tied down. My next overseas travel is in May to Ireland for 2 weeks. Also, a buddy and I are going fishing and snorkeling in the Keys for a week in the beginning of April. Then sometime later to southern Spain and Morocco, after marrying off my daughter in September.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:07 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Gadabout!
Old 02-17-2014, 03:07 PM
Admin

We're going to need some serious civil engineering in the coming decades, fortifying the beaches. I vote for sending Finn to the Seychelles in the Indian Ocean. The fishin' is great there or so I've heard.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:17 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
We're going to need some serious civil engineering in the coming decades, fortifying the beaches. I vote for sending Finn to the Seychelles in the Indian Ocean. The fishin' is great there or so I've heard.
That's a area I'd love to visit - the Seychelles and the Maldives. I spent a week on the Kenyan coast (and a week inland), and the Indian Ocean is awesome. Fantastic snorkeling and fishing right off the beach, as the reef is very close in.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:44 PM
Admin

The Maldives and the Seychelles are going to be the first to go under the waves at an avg. of six feet above sea level, I fear. Three feet of sea level rise is predicted by the end of this century or so 97% of the scientific community believe.
I'll check with Pops' old Peace Corps crew and see if I can wrangled a field commission for ya.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Horse feathers the title was changed in the interest of accuracy. If any of you believe that the recent massive storms are normal then you have your heads up your arse.
The city of Houston, TX ( normally beautiful weather in winter neither hot or cold ) got burried under a 2 foot blanket of snow over 100 years ago. Then just a few years later still over 100 years ago broke a reckord high of 91 in the dead of winter. They just had a 92 degree day the other day and folks went crazy... until the vintage hot/cold records were posted. Nobody living could remember that, so it's easy to convince folks that it is all our fault.