Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-01-2022, 12:19 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
dq, your wish is my command, from the reuters link:

"U.S. District Judge Mark Walker in Tallahassee blocked the state from enforcing provisions aimed at .......... and banning groups from offering food, water and other aid to people waiting in line to vote."

Pete
You've got about 1/8th of a point there. So the danger to democracy isn't making voting a physical challenge some cannot meet, by putting them on an outdoor line for hours. The real danger to democracy is they may like the people that offer them some human support while they wait?
Old 04-01-2022, 12:36 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
A right given to all Americans. MAGA on!
All Americans, for sure. I guess the Repubs aren't up to trying to offer as good or better munchies than the Democrats? And here I thought the food service industry was dominated by MAGA entrepreneurs!
Old 04-01-2022, 12:37 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I waited for hours to vote last major election, with various minorities in line around me and a some elderly folks, some in wheelchairs. I had my ducks in a row and voted. I do live in a nice neighborhood nowadays which is often more genteel in my experience.

Offering people stuff at polling locations used be fairly well understood as a likely problem. I agree handing out water etc doesn't feel like the greatest evil, however, 'and other aid' is certainly nebulous, and what is and isn't allowed should be decided by 'the people', IE the legislature, not our berobed masters, IMO.
Old 04-01-2022, 12:45 PM
Ready

Quote:
I waited for hours to vote last major election, with various minorities in line around me and a some elderly folks, some in wheelchairs. I had my ducks in a row and voted. I do live in a nice neighborhood nowadays which is often more genteel in my experience.

Offering people stuff at polling locations used be fairly well understood as a likely problem. I agree handing out water etc doesn't feel like the greatest evil, however, 'and other aid' is certainly nebulous, and what is and isn't allowed should be decided by 'the people', IE the legislature, not our berobed masters, IMO.
So you don't see systemic injustice amounting to vote suppression in the 'more genteel experience' arranged in whiter neighborhoods? Of course you don't, you'd prefer not to.

State legislators have a reputation for being partisan scoundrels, I'm afraid. I'm great with there being some checks and balances enforcing some level of respect for everyone's rights. You're in favor of everyone having an equal right to vote, aren't you?
Old 04-01-2022, 12:47 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:

I generally agree with your sentiment on this, Pete, but such new laws' prohibition of handing out water to those in line often came simultaneously with efforts to reduce the number of polling places in minority precincts and thereby increase the amount of time people need to wait in line at the polls (i.e., making voting as difficult, uncomfortable, confusing and time-consuming as possible for minorities).
Old 04-01-2022, 01:06 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

In my neighborhood I didn't see the "systemic injustice amounting to vote suppression" aimed at the black, Indian, Hispanic, and Asian folks in my neighborhood, because it wasn't there to see. It's an awesome thing, how far we're come, as not that long ago there would've been precious few of them living here regardless.

I do know my current experience isn't that same as poorer neighborhood, as I didn't grow up here, I've lived in a few hoods and still visit friends there. (sidenote: another sign of increasing diversity - the hoods are becoming integrated. You could be robbed by people of ANY color lol)

I do believe their are some serious lingering effects from our centuries of racism in the US for sure. I believe now though, many are more economic in nature - my white friends in the hood have substantially the same issues my black friends have, most revolving around funds, security and education (although racism certainly isn't completely dead). I really believe this issue and voter fraud are two sides of the same coin, very rare and designed to fire us up.

But well meaning people can disagree
Old 04-01-2022, 01:13 PM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
All Americans, for sure. I guess the Repubs aren't up to trying to offer as good or better munchies than the Democrats? And here I thought the food service industry was dominated by MAGA entrepreneurs!
Regardless, both parties are basically tossing table scraps to the have nots.
Old 04-01-2022, 02:17 PM
Ready

Quote:
In my neighborhood I didn't see the "systemic injustice amounting to vote suppression" aimed at the black, Indian, Hispanic, and Asian folks in my neighborhood, because it wasn't there to see. It's an awesome thing, how far we're come, as not that long ago there would've been precious few of them living here regardless.

I do know my current experience isn't that same as poorer neighborhood, as I didn't grow up here, I've lived in a few hoods and still visit friends there. (sidenote: another sign of increasing diversity - the hoods are becoming integrated. You could be robbed by people of ANY color lol)

I do believe their are some serious lingering effects from our centuries of racism in the US for sure. I believe now though, many are more economic in nature - my white friends in the hood have substantially the same issues my black friends have, most revolving around funds, security and education (although racism certainly isn't completely dead). I really believe this issue and voter fraud are two sides of the same coin, very rare and designed to fire us up.

But well meaning people can disagree
Racism very rare? Did you say that?
Old 04-01-2022, 02:23 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I'm re-reading my post and not seeing it.

Pete
Old 04-01-2022, 02:25 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Ah I think I see it. 'Voter suppression' - AKA 'this issue' - not racism.

Pete