Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Area Man

Ancestry?

For some reason, I was just struck with the desire to know everones ancestry; If you don't mind.

I'll go first;

My fathers family came from Scotland to the US in the 1880's settling first in Sacketts Harbor, NY. My grandfather married a Norwegian immigrant (Grandma Alice) in Sacketts Harbor and for whatever reason, moved to Washburn, Wisconsin where my Dad was born, then later Duluth, Minnesota.

My mothers family (Wyndham) has been here in the US so long we searched back nearly 300 years until there were no more records to be found. Although my mom had a rocking chair, made of English Oak, now in the possession of my brother John, that has an inscribed plaque on it that reads "For my cousin John Wyndham, in the American Colonies, 1728." Grandma Wyndhams maiden name was Adams, and she claimed that we were descendants of Presidents John and John Q. Adams.

The earliest records we could find of the Wyndhams are here in Norfolk, VA.
They slowly worked their way north through W.V. until my Great Grandfather, a Methodist Minister and ardent Abolishionist, moved the family into Ohio, joined the Union Army as an Officer and fought in the war. He had a twin brother who fought for the Confederacy.

Anyhow,

Scotch/English/Norwegian, here.

You?

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 11-03-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:37 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

My family came from Wales to the Carolina coast around 1735 or so. Some of the property is still in the family.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Loyal Opposition

My family had a huge fortune, made in the oil industry, or was it the railroad industry - someone by the name of Rockefeller. I squandered my share on drugs, booze and fast women. I did give huge chunks to the Republican party. Still trying to get the family name off of Rockefeller Center, what with the commie NBC sitting there.

Wait, wait! that was just a nightmare I had last night. We have some French, some German, some who knows what, but all American blood in my direct family line.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-03-2009, 02:15 PM

Mick and Kraut. With a supposedly touch of Cherokee.

May explain why I go off of the reservation from time to time.

Chas
Old 11-03-2009, 02:21 PM

My father's people came from the Neckar Valley in Germany, I recall a village near Stuttgart being mentioned. His mother's people were Joneses from Wales. My mother's people were some of the earliest settlers in NE Tennessee, there is a restored fort/settlement called Rocky Mount about halfway between Bristol & Johnson City that one of her ancestors had something to do with, he was a big muckety-muck of some sort. Wished I'd paid more attention to my granny, she was forever babblin' on & on about it...My mother's dad, Bill Wolfe, killed a guy when Bill was a kid & working in a railway office...Fella come in to rob the office, Bill pulled a derringer out of the desk drawer he was behind, & plugged the guy. I have the derringer, a letter from Southern Railway, & the watch they gave him for "Upholding Railroad Property at the Risk of His Life, April 1896." Mama never knew him, he died when she was 3.4...All she remembered was his funeral. My other grandad knew the Wright Brothers, he bought bicycles from them. Dayton was a small town, you wanted a bike, you went to see the Wrights. He washed the plane for them, & to pay him, they took him up & flew over the farm he lived on...They later built part of Wright-Pat AFB on that farm...His brother, Karl, worked for Frigidaire, got into a cussfight w/one of the money men-None of them old Germans had any money, but most of 'em were pretty bright when it came to mechanical stuff-and he ended up working at Wright-Pat on their HVAC system.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Resident octogenarian

I could go to my database and post a break down going all the way back to my 5X great grandfather from Lincolnshire, England. My Dad emigrated from Yorkshire to Canada in 1906 aboard the Allen Line SS Parisian. Family were mainly masons althogh Dad did work in the glassworks.

My Mother's family (oddly enough named Mason) came from Oxfordshire but not Oxford Dons, Grandad was a shepherd. In Canada they became railroad men with several engine drivers. Mother was born in Canada but they briefly went back to the UK for a spell.

A 3X great uncle emigrated to the US, landing at New Orleans. Sadly there was an outbreak of cholera aboard the paddle wheeler heading to St.Louis and Uncle Edward died a month after landing in St, Louis. His wife and children survived and to this day anyone west of the Mississippi with my surname is related.

Another uncle emigrated to Canada and was married to an Irish girl in Toronto (except it was called York back then). They moved to northern Ontario and became very successful, the huge farm is still there in the family. So everyone in Canada with my surname is either family or cousins at some remove.

Last but not least an ancestor with the same name as myself emigrated in the 1800s and fought in the Civil War on the Union side.

The Church of Latter Day Saints has loads of records at

www.familysearch.org

But be warned what starts out as a hobby will rapidly become an obsession. As an indication our database has over 10,000 names.

Last edited by merrylander; 11-04-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:52 PM

English, Welsh and a little Irish on my father's side. Arrived in the early days of the nation, late 16th century. Pioneered in western Maryland and western Virginia when it was wilderness.

English and Scottish on my mother's side. Came to the Colonies in the early 18th century. They settled in eastern Pennsylvania but went west to settle western Pennsylvania and from there to "the Niagara Frontier" in and around Buffalo. Some later went to settle Ohio and still others went to Oregon and Washington.

John
Old 11-03-2009, 09:38 PM

i am directly descended from henry the 4th. i want to know where the hell my inheritance is.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:28 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundhound View Post
i am directly descended from henry the 4th. i want to know where the hell my inheritance is.
BROTHER!!!!!!

Old 11-04-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundhound View Post
Good God-Was he one of the ones they beheaded, or tossed in the Tower of London ? An' our politicians think THEY got it rough today...(grin)