Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:55 PM

Why is Dick Cheney emboldening our enemies?

Had a thought.

We all agree that we have freedom of speech, but to publicly disagree with the decisions of the Commander in Chief during a time of war seems un-American. What can come of it other than emboldening our enemies and giving them comfort?

http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo...ly-harmful.php

Not sure why, but I have this odd sense of irony as I type this. Almost as if Cheney were a hypocritical ass hole.

Take care,

Ed
Old 12-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Resident octogenarian

Ya think?
Old 12-02-2009, 03:10 PM

Cheney sees this as a win/win. If we are hit again it's going to be claimed as proof that Cheney was right and Obama is dangerously weak. If we don't get hit again it will be used to show that Cheney's hectoring is all that saved us.

Since Cheney is such a bloodthirsty bastard and a cynic and since the first scenario is easier to turn to his purposes, I think he'd much prefer to see us hit again, just like his PNAC buddies did back in the nineties.

John
Old 12-02-2009, 05:59 PM

Perhaps Cheney is just giving his opinion. He does have a unique perspective on the matter.

At times I'm amazed at the pure, unadultrated hatred the left exhibits towards the right. Not that the right is any better.

But at times, when I visit this forum, I think that I've logged onto the Daily Kos by mistake.

Chas
Old 12-02-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
At times I'm amazed at the pure, unadultrated hatred the left exhibits towards the right.
Chas, that just isn't so. Many of us hate what Republicans from Reagan forward (with an able assist from Clinton) have done to the country and the world but to hate the deeds is not to hate the people responsible. To borrow from Christianity, "Love the sinner, hate the sin".

Now, to be perfectly candid with you, I personally have a hard time not hating certain individuals on the right because I think they know that what they've done and are doing is harmful to the country and the world but they put their own personal interests first.

It's very very difficult for me not to get very personal where some of these people are concerned but so far I think I've been largely successful. I get very angry at these people but I don't think I hate them.

John
Old 12-02-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Chas, that just isn't so. Many of us hate what Republicans from Reagan forward (with an able assist from Clinton) have done to the country and the world but to hate the deeds is not to hate the people responsible. To borrow from Christianity, "Love the sinner, hate the sin".

Now, to be perfectly candid with you, I personally have a hard time not hating certain individuals on the right because I think they know that what they've done and are doing is harmful to the country and the world but they put their own personal interests first.

It's very very difficult for me not to get very personal where some of these people are concerned but so far I think I've been largely successful. I get very angry at these people but I don't think I hate them.

John
As much as I like taking cheap shots at politicians, I tend to think that most of them try to do the right thing (and line their pockets). I may not agree with them, but I don't see them as evil.

That said, I'm sure that Hitler thought he was doing the right thing.

I donno, wish we could elect people who realized that there is no "right" thing to do. I would appreciate a little humility on the national stage.

Chas
Old 12-02-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
As much as I like taking cheap shots at politicians, I tend to think that most of them try to do the right thing (and line their pockets). I may not agree with them, but I don't see them as evil.
For the most part I agree but I think there are exceptions. Take, for instance, a politician who is in the pocket of the tobacco industry and, despite the certain knowledge that smoking is a severe health hazard and that the tobacco industry deliberately concealed that fact for as long as they could. When that politician votes against a tobacco bill that, for instance, forbids smoking in public places, that politician is knowingly working against the common good for personal gain.

Quote:
That said, I'm sure that Hitler thought he was doing the right thing.
I think Hitler was a sociopath and a megalomaniac. The concept of right vs. wrong only had meaning for him as it related to his own perceived self interest

Quote:
I donno, wish we could elect people who realized that there is no "right" thing to do. I would appreciate a little humility on the national stage.

Chas
Maybe no single right thing but I think that, with respect to most issues, there are right things and wrong things.

John
Old 12-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
Why is Dick Cheney emboldening our enemies?
For his own personal gain.

That was too easy. Do you have another question?
Old 12-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Loyal Opposition

I'm just glad the President Bush knew how to man up when it came to meeting with a foreign leader. See the links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjtfaLtLT7s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUoyc...eature=related

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 12-03-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Ya think?
my thoughts exactly.