Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

The military is CLEARLY the responsibility of the Federal government.

Pretending the basic fundamentals of finance don't exist got us where we are today. The piper will be paid.

Pete
Old 08-09-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Partisan hack piece beej

I'm not a tea partier but respect them. I'll tell you why: they really are grass roots. I know a couple locally and they keep their nose to the grindstone.
The Tea Party is a front for Big Business with massive funding coming from the Koch brothers and other mega-wealthy right wing activists.

All you need to do is look at all those fancily decked out charter buses which took people from all over the country (for free) to those huge rallies in 2009 and plopped them in front of those big fancy stages flanked by huge Jumbo-trons so that they could have their heads crammed full of pro-corporate propaganda.

Who paid for all of that?

John
Old 08-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

My neighbor would like to know where her money is.

Pete
Old 08-09-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I do not mean to imply that we did not earn it. But I just sort of see it that way from my own experience as a military retiree. I really feel bad for those that lost limbs from Iraq and Afganistan, and we need to give as much as we can to our vets. But many like myself have come through pretty much unscathed, but I am not saying we did not make sacrifices. I feel bad though that Americans without the same benefits I have our supporting me with their tax dollars.
I share your concern for our service-connected disabled vets, regardless the nature of their disability. Where my perspective differs from yours, I think, is that I do not feel at all badly for my fellow country men and women whose tax dollars subsidize my benefits. The first duty of government is to protect the country's citizenry. This is accomplished in many ways, not the least of which is by our military. Taxes are the price we all pay for the cost of the government to provide this protection. I was honored and privileged to serve my country. In doing so I voluntarily gave to my country my youth, my commitment and my service. In my opinion, my retirement pension is the answer to a rather blunt and direct question: What is the going rate for laying your ass on the line for 20 plus years? Do I feel a sense of entitlement? Yes, sir, I do. And I do not at all feel badly about it.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
The military is CLEARLY the responsibility of the Federal government.

Pretending the basic fundamentals of finance don't exist got us where we are today. The piper will be paid.

Pete
Where have you been since the 1930s....did you miss the last century?
The Piper at the Federal Government level will never be paid. How do you think we won all those wars in the 20th Century? By not using the big deficit spending credit card called Keyesian economics? That big boom of the 50s and 60s in the economy was easy credit induced deficit spending in the form of mortages, car loans and installment credit, secured by our national banking system.
You are making my point lol...
Old 08-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Resident octogenarian

As probably the only conservative in this group I expected the charges of bias to Ms. Harrop's article. She is a well known writer and has been a guest on both left and right wing shows.

It was not Ms. Harrop who made Olympia Snowe and LaTourette resign from the political scene. The argument made in previous posts about the "ideals" of the Tea Partiers is nowt but sheer foolishness. They would see this nation go to hell in a handcart all the while sticking to their "ideals". Hardly the behaviour of a patriot unless they chaged the definition since I last looked.

There are likely as many idealistic Republicans and Democrats in Congress as any Tea Partier. There were just as many in past goverments but they were willing to settle for half a loaf when necessary to preserve the nation. My way or the highway just will not work simply because someone claims their viewpoint is based on some "ideal". Hell we cannot even get nine justices to agree on the Constitution what makes these newcomers so bloody smart?

Like the Ancient Mariner the GOP has this Tea Party albatross hung around its neck and will have to deal with it. Meanwhile, as the man said "A pox on both their houses." Frankly we have more to fear from the Chamberpot of Commerce and their underhanded efforts to take over the government.

Oh by the way beej and icenine if any part of my taxes are of benefit in your lives you are most welcome.

Last edited by merrylander; 08-09-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Like the Ancient Mariner the GOP has this Tea Party albatross hung around its neck and will have to deal with it. Meanwhile, as the man said "A pox on both their houses." Frankly we have more to fear from the Chamberpot of Commerce and their underhanded efforts to take over the government.
Rob, they're one and the same.

John
Old 08-09-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beej View Post
I share your concern for our service-connected disabled vets, regardless the nature of their disability. Where my perspective differs from yours, I think, is that I do not feel at all badly for my fellow country men and women whose tax dollars subsidize my benefits. The first duty of government is to protect the country's citizenry. This is accomplished in many ways, not the least of which is by our military. Taxes are the price we all pay for the cost of the government to provide this protection. I was honored and privileged to serve my country. In doing so I voluntarily gave to my country my youth, my commitment and my service. In my opinion, my retirement pension is the answer to a rather blunt and direct question: What is the going rate for laying your ass on the line for 20 plus years? Do I feel a sense of entitlement? Yes, sir, I do. And I do not at all feel badly about it.
This old First Class get under your skin? You and I pay about $435 dollars a year for cadillac health insurance while some civilian families are paying $1000 a month. There are sacrifices being made by everyone. If things get really bad for the average American family they will not want to take care of us veterans eventually. Think about it.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:41 AM

You, sir, did not get under my skin at all. Your posts are a good read and make sense to me. That we had one minor point of disagreement on but one aspect of that whole issue is of no consequence to me.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beej View Post
You, sir, did not get under my skin at all. Your posts are a good read and make sense to me. That we had one minor point of disagreement on but one aspect of that whole issue is of no consequence to me.
Ok...it is just that I like perspective on everything. I am not anti-military obviously. I can see what it going on with our nation, however. I would rather it be back like it was in the 70s and 80s, when misfits like myself would find solace in something as outrageous as spending 20 years in the Navy while everyone else made good livings in the private sector and got nice pensions. Alas, today the Navy has outpaced the private sector in being a great job (albeit dangerous sometimes) with great benefits. I am sandcrab by the way.