Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Admin

Yeah, you're the expert on straw dogs whell. You were the one bringing up exclusions as opposed to Barbara talking about denial of coverage. Two entirely different things despite your torturous logic.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Area Man

I know when my Mom was diagnosed with Alzheimers, Dads insurance dropped her. Now, that may have already been stated in the policy, fair enough. But, I know this; We have people in the family who won't speak to us, because we signed mom up for Medicare, they treat us like pariahs for "..............taking money from the government." Moms care came to over $8,000/month. Just what in the hell were we supposed to do?

And, I'm supposed to LIKE conservatives........

Dave
Old 04-12-2012, 07:27 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Another straw dog comment out of the lefty manual on health care.

Its called a certificate of coverage. Its a comprehensive guide to an insurance policy that describes in detail what the insurance policy will cover, and what they won't cover. Its the same guide that nobody is interested in reading when they buy their policy, either on their own or through their employer. Its usually not something that is read until the insurance company denied coverage for a procedure. Then once the individual reads the section on exclusions, the individual who is denied coverage screams bloody murder about being "denied coverage from their evil insurance company."
More BS from the expert. I had a good friend denied treatment for cancer initially (she was in her early fifties). By the time they finally agreed to the treatment it was too late.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:31 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlV View Post
The state of Arizona had their own death panel and it was their state gov't.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...ticles/2010/12

IIRC, after 3 of these deaths by budget Gov Brewer had a change of heart though. Thankfully.

Carl
The transplat business is a $20 billion a year trade, the typical transplant surgeon gets $400,00 a year. But the law says they cannot even cover funeral expenses for the donor. Have I checked the box on my driver's license? Not bloody likely.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:14 PM

Concerning straw dogs, I've got my bases covered.

Strawman.gif

As far as the likes of Alzheimer's, after watching my father waste away slowly, not only at great expense to society, but against his wishes, I'm an advocate of "Death Panels". If I had a hair on my ass, I would have smothered him with a pillow years ago...and he would have thanked me for it. And that's the truth.

Myself, I just pray the I never suffer a stroke so severe that I can't stick a gun in my mouth and pull the trigger, or lose my marbles to the point that I don't have enough wits left to stick a gun in my mouth and pull the trigger.

Actually, I speak of the gun in a metaphorical sense, I'd hang myself instead. Do it right and it's the easiest way out...even better than tying a plastic bag over your head. It's quicker and less traumatic.

When you get right down to it, I consider my death to be pretty damned personal, and I don't want a bunch of asshole uplifters dragging it out for their personal benefit. I know I'm going to die, let me do it on my own terms.

And that IS a threat, unless you would like to go hand in hand with me to the new world.

Concerning transplants. I ran into a fellow I know today who is dying from hepatitis. It was about two months ago whenever he told me he had this affliction, and today I didn't recognize him.

He's waiting on a liver transplant, and there wasn't much I could say. I would never consider a procedure like that, even if it's successful I see it as no more than prolonging the agony.

It's sad, and situations such as these leave me at a loss for words.

Chas
Old 04-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Area Man

Mom spared us the trouble. She forgot how to eat early on. In her will, she had specified no feeding tubes or artificial life support. So, about 18 months in...........

Pop decided to go with her and threatened to "give a lump" to anyone who tried to feed him or give him medication. She went on Thanksgiving day, he joined her on February 9th.

Dave
Old 04-12-2012, 08:40 PM

Chas, if those are your wishes, you need to put it in writing.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
When you get right down to it, I consider my death to be pretty damned personal, and I don't want a bunch of asshole uplifters dragging it out for their personal benefit. I know I'm going to die, let me do it on my own terms.
Chas
A year ago I'd have argued with ya til the cows came home on this subject. Lot's of old religious stuff and that in my head. I was speaking with a friend whom I have a tremendous amount of respect for on this topic about 6 months ago. He said

"Who am I to judge what is to much for another human to take either mentally or physically. And who am I to judge them once they've done the deed"

It finally clicked with me. I think completely different on the topic these days.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:14 AM
Resident octogenarian

Mom, at 91 had a heart attack, survied it first time around but asked that no heroic measures be taken. They honoured her wishes and the second one took her. She had gotten Padgett's disease in her late fifties and that is pretty damn painful, so she finally was free of pain.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Chas, if those are your wishes, you need to put it in writing.
You're right, I need to do that and update my will as well.

Chas