in keeping this site going.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I think that's a given Rob

Pete
Old 08-27-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
WTF are you talking about Mr. Rose Thorn Poking Foreskin?

I searched Horrendo Revolver and got back Cheech and Chong.

The difference is that Cheech and Chong made sense. And you don't.

Help.
Quote:
I can't read that trainwreck of sentences.
Quote:
Well Boreas has obviously expended his thoughts on the subject.
Ebacon, I have to say that I'm a bit baffled by your obvious desire to engage me in a pretty personal, impertinent (in multiple senses of the word) and insulting manner. I can't really account for it unless I somehow managed to insult you at some earlier time. I don't know how that may have occurred but, of course, sometimes we convey unintended messages when we communicate.

If I am guilty of such, you have my sincere apology and my assurance that it was inadvertent. If, on the other hand, you simply have a desire to deal with me on that level, there's not a hell of a lot I can do about it except to try not to respond in kind.

So, here's an olive branch of sorts. Take it if you will. If you won't it's really no big deal but don't count on my playing along.

John
Old 08-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Area Man

The hole in abundance theory, as I see it, is that not everyone shares in the abundance.

To further clarify; Many people do not earn enough, even when they ARE working, to afford a move across country, pay someone else to take care of elderly parents, etc.. it is the financial hardship of unemployment or underemployment that binds them.

In otherwords, "abundance theory" only works when there actually is an abundance to sustain us. Even "creating" your own job only works when others have the money to purchase whatever goods or services you offer.

There is also possibility that if the financial crisis is nation wide, there may be no point in moving to another state.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 08-27-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Area Man

This brings a recent event to mind.

A former classmate who lives in Ohio, sent me an email over the weekend asking about Virgina as a potential place to move his family to. So I sent him all of the info I could find, positive and otherwise about local activities, government, schools, demographics, industry and economy, wage and cost of living levels and so on. And, of course attached my personal opinion, which I thought was quite positive.

His reply: "Thanks. Looks like we're better off sticking it out here."

He didn't elaborate, so I don't really know what he meant by that, but I find it interesting.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 08-27-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
. . .
So, here's an olive branch of sorts. Take it if you will. If you won't it's really no big deal but don't count on my playing along.

John
I accept. Thanks.

My short fuse is my Achilles' Heel.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I accept. Thanks.
Good. Game on!

John
Old 08-28-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Ebacon, I have to say that I'm a bit baffled by your obvious desire to engage me in a pretty personal, impertinent (in multiple senses of the word) and insulting manner.
That's right. You can't talk to John like that! That's MY job!
Old 08-28-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
That's right. You can't talk to John like that! That's MY job!
Exactly!

John
Old 08-29-2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Are you guys familiar with abundance theory economics and its rise in the 1960s? The old school of thought is called scarcity theory economics.

The basic difference between the two is simple as their name suggest. In a nutshell scarcity theory economics says that resources and size of the marketplace are limited. Government therefore has a role in managing the distribution of wealth.
The scarcity of resources is an axiom of economics. There really is no getting around that given that we have a finite lifespan and reside on a planet of finite size. Thus, both time and resources are scarce. That constrains our ability to make choices. Now, if they mean that increases in efficiency have made some products that were once scarce more abundant, then I'm in agreement. I don't think abundance theory can exist outside of a tightly defined sphere before it collapses into standard economics as enunciated by Ricardo, Smith, Malthus, and Mill and their followers.

Having complete control of all the actors and inputs and an optimum model, I suspect that there would be enough randomness to degrade into a non-deterministic model.

Here's a link to Hayek's critique and the relation to Keynes' General Theory:
http://mises.org/daily/5282/The-Economics-of-Abundance

PS:
Reading a bit more it appears that this theory is more politcal than economic.

Last edited by bhunter; 08-29-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:47 AM

I guess looking at abundance theory from a perspective of policy, I don't understand how the left can be so enamored with Obama when his free trade policies are identical to the right. Obama has a track record of giving away the store and telling workers to go invent new work just like Romney would. That process is creating an enormous student debt bubble. It is over $1T now and growing.

IMO the game of musical chairs will stop when the student debt bubble pops. Things are going to get worse before they get better.