Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Gordon Gekko sumarized Atlas Shrugged in three words.
tell us Merrylander!
Old 08-17-2012, 03:03 PM

After watching the Mike Wallace interview I have but two words: HOLY SHIT!
Old 08-17-2012, 03:04 PM

And a point of clarification: in my preceding post that was not a joyous holy shit.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Guess she makes being selfish cool. Maybe that's why so many are willing to believe the philosophy. Makes looking in the mirror a lot easier.

Barney
Not really. I think it was unfortunate that she chose "selfishness" as opposed to some other word with less negative connotation. What's interesting is that she is completely against religion; thus, sometimes I do wonder how righties accept that together with the objectivist philosophy. My position is that none of what she purports is particularly new or innovative; however, intertwining it within the context of a novel is somewhat refreshing. Obviously, she made a lot of enemies by denigrating any notion of altruism. Furthermore, just because an action appears altruistic doesn't mean that altruism was the motivating factor.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
Another thing that most people don't know is that up until recently the Ayn Rand Institute had two co-chairs. One was full time with ARI. The other was an attorney with Goldman Sachs.

More recently BB&T bank alumni have joined the management council along with a doctor.

That group is up to something. Be careful of what you want. You just might get it.
Good grief! A conspiracy theorist. ARI is relatively small in the world of research groups. There are plenty of opposing groups with far more power.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:12 PM

The people that apologize for Ayn Rand don't understand her philosophy and how dangerously whacked it is. I guarantee it.

Remember -- this isn't a game. ARI plays hardball. Those f*ckers are persuading congressmen to write this stuff into The United States Code at every opportunity.

If anyone that isn't a plutocrat but stills go for this stuff either doesn't know what he is doing or is a traitor. This stuff is designed to persuade us to erase the U.S. Constitution.

Not kidding.

Be careful with it.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Admin

That interview was an interesting eye opener as to Ayn's philosophies. She displays a serious lack of empathy for people other than herself. The way she presents herself smacks of sociopathic zealotry, to my unschooled eye. That habit of glancing downwards and to the left compulsively brings to mind the term shifty eyed and probably has an explanation based in psychiatric studies. What that would be I'll leave to someone more proficient in that field, after all I'm a simple person who's a product in part to my upbringing and what I choose to believe as some innate intangible quality that we all bring to the world we live in. Call it a soul or some such label, I really don't know as yet.
This person, if you will, seems to me to typify sociopathism and there is no enlightenment to be gained for her disjointed ramblings in regards to her philosophy. I think she went down a rabbit hole in a quest to break down the human condition to it's most basic components and came up with this "greed is good" Rasputin-like grotesquery.
Maybe I'm biased by the hours misspent in front of the one eyed monster in my childhood but I keep expecting Boris to pop up and start calling her Natasha while they're enjoying some Moose and Squirrel stew. Kudos to Mike Wallace for skewering this sick and repulsive individual. Just my take on it and thanks for digging that clip up Dave. I can't believe that there are people who take this evil shit seriously.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Gordon Gekko sumarized Atlas Shrugged in three words.
Ayn Rand would not support Gordon Gekko nor anyone that makes money by financial manipulation or speculating. How one obtained wealth was just as important as the wealth itself and IIRC that was the seminal thread running through all of her works.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
Good grief! A conspiracy theorist. ARI is relatively small in the world of research groups. There are plenty of opposing groups with far more power.
That's just name calling. Want me to start? I'm good at it.

Yes there are opposing groups to ARI. OWS comes to mind, but they are not as well organized and well financed.

A feeble minded thinker might say that the churches have a lot of money. But that would be forgetting that churches can't speak on political topics without jeopardizing their tax-exempt status.

On the other hand ARI gets to maintain its tax exempt status while being funded by the banks to go into schools and push atheism and dog-eat-dog onto kids.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
That's just name calling. Want me to start? I'm good at it.
I thought you already had. I try to avoid name calling; however, the multiple posts here that assailed, deservedly or not, Ayn Rand, I found a bit over the top. If you disagree with her, admittedly sophomoric philosophy, fine, but calling her names and casting her to the flames doesn't elucidate what's wrong with her position.

Quote:
Yes there are opposing groups to ARI. OWS comes to mind, but they are not as well organized and well financed.

A feeble minded thinker might say that the churches have a lot of money. But that would be forgetting that churches can't speak on political topics without jeopardizing their tax-exempt status.
That might technically be true, but churches still have a significant impact on politicians and certainly have influence on legislation. How about the left leaning think tanks? They would seem to offer a counterveiling viewpoint to the nefarious ARI.

Quote:
On the other hand ARI gets to maintain its tax exempt status while being funded by the banks to go into schools and push atheism and dog-eat-dog onto kids.
Are you equally against groups promoting collectivist causes in our nominally secular schools or just non-liberal causes?