Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:54 PM
Admin

Finding Your Roots on PBS

This is a fairly new series that I'm finding fascinating. They're taking public figures and doing genealogical family trees and DNA testing to tell them their roots. Henry Louis Gates, Jr. is the host. Well worth a look.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:29 AM

Yeah, I have seen it a couple times. It is pretty interesting stuff alright.

Carl
Old 04-16-2012, 07:11 AM
Resident octogenarian

Even more fun doing it yourself, except for the DNA part. Got as far back as my 5X GreatGrandfather, even further back on his second wife.

I just pulled up the family tree, there are 10,050 individuals listed and I am not finished yet.

Last edited by merrylander; 04-16-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Even more fun doing it yourself, except for the DNA part. Got as far back as my 5X GreatGrandfather, even further back on his second wife.

I just pulled up the family tree, there are 10,050 individuals listed and I am not finished yet.
Betcha we're related! Might have to go back to William the Conquerer, though.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:12 PM

Isn't it amazing that all those generations were able to survive and procreate and multiply the size of your family, without a giant government handing them everything? Working for evil companies that weren't regulated nine ways to Sunday? Crappy to non-existent health coverage?
I mean, you'd think everyone would have died out long before we got this wonderful system we have today.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:17 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
Isn't it amazing that all those generations were able to survive and procreate and multiply the size of your family, without a giant government handing them everything? Working for evil companies that weren't regulated nine ways to Sunday? Crappy to non-existent health coverage?
I mean, you'd think everyone would have died out long before we got this wonderful system we have today.
More turd in the punchbowl rhetoric as usual. Why doncha go club a baby seal or sumpthin'?
Old 04-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Area Man

My mother caught the "roots" bug back in the '70s. Spent months tracing both her maternal and paternal ancestry and it's branches. Yielded some interesting stuff including presidents John and J.Q. Adams, actress Loni Anderson and two brothers who fought on opposite sides of the civil war. The name is Wyndham.

The Confederate brother was a north-western Virginia farmer/plantation owner, the other a Methodist Minister and outspoken abolishionist who fled with his family to Ohio when the war broke out and joined the Union Army as a commisioned officer. (Moms Great-Grandfather.) Both survived to meet again after the war. My brother has newspaper clippings from the late 1870s that feature that reunion. Including an image of the two men standing together on the steps of the church. And the sermon that the Pastor made about family, forgiveness and healing. Cool stuff. There is mention of several ancestors from Virginia who fought in the Revolutionary War but no details.

The family originally came from England although there is no official record of it. The records go back to a man that lived in Norfolk, Virginia in the 1670s and that's it. Nothing before that.

My Dads side came from Scotland in the 1880s and settled in Sackets Harbor, New York.
His grandfather owned a general store there, and there are still a number of Reads living in that area. My grandmother was Norwegian, (Lapplander). And after she and Granddad married they ended up in Washburn, Wisconsin where Pop was born. And that's really all we know about them.

Dave
Old 04-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
Yes, this is why we need to bring hardship and crappy to non-existent health coverage back. Because if our ancestors could endure such suffering, by gum we sure can! (I can't, for the life of me, figure out why anybody would want too......But, then I never did get masochism anyways.)

Dave
Old 04-16-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
More turd in the punchbowl rhetoric as usual. Why doncha go club a baby seal or sumpthin'?
I can't, clubbing baby seals is heavily regulated.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Shame too, such nice fur.

Pete