Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-01-2022, 03:49 PM

Flooding in EKY

I am wondering from the severe flooding that is devastating Eastern Kentucky, how do the ill informed wingnuts living there feel about climate change? And within the last week or two, the eastern half of the US went through a heat wave and now the PNW is suffering along with a major fire near Yreka, CA. And people living in Yreka and the surrounding area, the self proclaimed "Land of Jefferson" are mostly Bundy types.

There was an opinion piece in WaPo where the author claiming to be a Democrat was admonishing other Dems for not showing any sympathy for those suffering in EKY. I found her argument to be weak and more finger pointing than substantive. If the people living in red states or in Trumpervilles don't give a damn about this country's well being, why should I give a damn about what happens to them. They continue to elect politicians who vote not only vote against their constituents' well being but continue to mock climate change, Coronavirus mandates, or even the assault on our democracy. Screw them is my attitude since I am no longer a compassionate conservative.

Sink or swim, makes no difference to me. Am I being callous?
Hope the pay wall is off since it is from last week.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...rats-response/
Old 08-01-2022, 04:04 PM

Having lived in Eastern Ky for a few years when younger. They are a proud people and as a whole. Could tell you about local history and events going back generations. Ask them about current world events and get a totally different response.

My guess the majority of the affected were more worried about the day to day struggles surviving. Most need to leave in order to find work. There just is not the local industry base.

I do not fault the average person rather the oil, gas coal operators and the elected representatives for the current climate related issues.

These very people will now be holding out the outstretched hand for funding. Leaving nothing but unfulfilled promises to everyone else. Expecting the rest of the country to foot the bills ahead.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:37 PM

What I find missing so far are the uber religious leaders that say when such natural disasters befall "less conservative" regions that it's God's punishment for their transgressions. When such occurrences befall the God-fearing Christian folk all you hear is crickets.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Having lived in Eastern Ky for a few years when younger. They are a proud people and as a whole. Could tell you about local history and events going back generations. Ask them about current world events and get a totally different response.

My guess the majority of the affected were more worried about the day to day struggles surviving. Most need to leave in order to find work. There just is not the local industry base.

I do not fault the average person rather the oil, gas coal operators and the elected representatives for the current climate related issues.

These very people will now be holding out the outstretched hand for funding. Leaving nothing but unfulfilled promises to everyone else. Expecting the rest of the country to foot the bills ahead.
Holding out the outstretched hand for funding this week and chanting Let's go Brandon next week.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
What I find missing so far are the uber religious leaders that say when such natural disasters befall "less conservative" regions that it's God's punishment for their transgressions. When such occurrences befall the God-fearing Christian folk all you hear is crickets.
Religious leaders only speak when they have a willing audience, but when a disaster occurs, they all disappear in their personal jets to places yonder till the coast clears. Why waste their time with people who are hurting financially and broke? The preachers just want their money and $45 has now co-opted their game plan.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:43 AM

The state libertarian nitwit has been mercifully silent on this since bring universally slapped silly for his hypocracy on the tornado swarm aid appeal to the feds.
He can take all the time required to go fuck himself.
Old 08-02-2022, 12:14 PM

Didn't the Insane Clown find his sad isolationist idea of "paradise" down in KY? Makes me wonder... Karma works in mysterious ways.