Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:58 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I'm uncertain of the question :unsure: It seems valid that in a car discussion someone, anyone, should say buy American. My apologies if it can be uncomfortable. I have had friends & family in the UAW.

Pete
FWIW, lots of Toyotas and Hondas are American-made, as are BMW and Mercedes.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:01 PM
Jigsawed

My apology Sir. Now I am certain you are not messing with unions.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm uncertain of the question :unsure: It seems valid that in a car discussion someone, anyone, should say buy American. My apologies if it can be uncomfortable. I have had friends & family in the UAW.

Pete
OK Pete...but are you a union man or just a UAW man? I'm curious if you own any pants that aren't union shop made pants?
Old 01-22-2014, 04:02 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

The Asian cos are not UAW, at least the last I checked. Are any of the domestic German plants (I don't know)? In both cases the profit goes out of country.

Pete
Old 01-22-2014, 04:08 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
The Asian cos are not UAW, at least the last I checked. Are any of the domestic German plants (I don't know)? In both cases the profit goes out of country.

Pete
Nope, they all set up in the south in an effort not to deal with the UAW (Greenville, SC for BMW and Tuscaloosa, AL for Daimler). I'm not too concerned about the profit leaving the country. The cumulative wages/salaries/benefits far exceed the amount of profit sent overseas. Besides, nothing is stopping you from buying BMW or Daimler stock to help keep some of the profit here.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:43 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Of course I do. You can't live and buy only union.

But a car is the second largest purchase most make and the obvious one to support unions with your own money.

Pete
Old 01-23-2014, 10:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Of course I do. You can't live and buy only union.

But a car is the second largest purchase most make and the obvious one to support unions with your own money.

Pete
More obvious to you and all your UAW friends, maybe. Not necessarily any more obvious to anybody else. Reckon you take the same position regarding non-union shop construction outfits? It is, after all, the first largest purchase most make.

But I am pleased to see you expressing some realistic boundaries regarding unions which was a problem at my prior political forum affiliation where on the one hand it was pretty much lockstep unionistas bleating their heroic union ideology all day long, and on the other hand the "unions are the anti-christ" right wingers.

So I am pleasantly surprised to see one with the rightist leanings you have, supporting unions at all. I suspect you are in line for some of the same sort of aggravation from your ideologue conservative brethren on this subject as I am from my ideologue liberal brethren regarding the State of Israel.

Or maybe not, eh?
Old 01-23-2014, 11:20 AM

I wonder if the engineers of the american auto makers are UAW. Can't blame the line workers for the horrible mistakes in some of the american cars from last two decades which were purely dumb engineering.

You cannot deny the Accord and Camry has been absolutely destroying the american garbage that has been around for 20 years. Ford Taurus, Chevy Malibu, Dodge Stratus, how many decade old ones are still driving around. They're made of foil, really? Ever look at crash test ratings?

Trucks are a whole different story. Only the Americans make a real tough full size truck that can be worked. The truck market keeps the US companies alive.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:29 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG22 View Post
I wonder if the engineers of the american auto makers are UAW. Can't blame the line workers for the horrible mistakes in some of the american cars from last two decades which were purely dumb engineering.

You cannot deny the Accord and Camry has been absolutely destroying the american garbage that has been around for 20 years. Ford Taurus, Chevy Malibu, Dodge Stratus, how many decade old ones are still driving around. They're made of foil, really? Ever look at crash test ratings?

Trucks are a whole different story. Only the Americans make a real tough full size truck that can be worked. The truck market keeps the US companies alive.
Mike a lady drove her Honda into my Ford Probe, bill for repairing the Probe $265, for the Honda over $1400 last I heard from her insurance company. That was enough of a crash test rating for me. Poor woman saw the white hair and was concerned that I was OK. Then she looked at her car and said 'My husband will kill me."

Engineering is management ergo non union
Old 01-23-2014, 11:54 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Agreed the Nipponese (that's not offensive is it?) thrashed us for a while. My nephews' 1991 Supra has a quality feel and my brother in laws 89 Accord was a tank until rust ate it.

That said the 80s full size GMs and Fords were very reliable as well, but a dying breed in many ways even then. I sold my 97 Grand Marquis with 230k mostly trouble free miles on it because of rust.

Mike I meet a lot of contractors at the pickup dock, the only time I ever see a foreign truck is when it's someones' friend The new HD trucks are incredible.

Pete