Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Well because of the design - recoil spring around the barrel and not below - it does seem to offer less upward push when fired and the 380 ACP has less kick back than a 9mm. Nice part is that there is a dealer just up the road offering a better price than the big online shops. Add to that the FFL charge if I bought online and it all looks like a good deal.
Be sure that she can work the slide. Sometimes they are quite stiff when new. My mom had a difficult time with a Sig .380.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
Be sure that she can work the slide. Sometimes they are quite stiff when new. My mom had a difficult time with a Sig .380.
My wife can't pull the slide on my Buckmark whenever the hammer isn't cocked.

And while Jeff Cooper was a big fan of CZ's since they could be carried cocked and locked, I think most people would be better served by a decocker. It really sucks if your thumb slips off of the hammer while you're trying to place your sidearm in condition 2.

Chas
Old 02-13-2012, 08:23 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
My wife can't pull the slide on my Buckmark whenever the hammer isn't cocked.

And while Jeff Cooper was a big fan of CZ's since they could be carried cocked and locked, I think most people would be better served by a decocker. It really sucks if your thumb slips off of the hammer while you're trying to place your sidearm in condition 2.

Chas
We won't be "carrying" as getting a CC license here in Maryland requires real proof that your life is endangered. That feature never quite thrilled me in anycase.

I would really prefer to go gas powered but the best airpistol I have found in that category is a 6mm@500+FPS muzzle velocity and while that will draw blood it won't take them down. Although if your aim is good a shot the face, especially the eye or earhole, could be fatal.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:13 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I would really prefer to go gas powered but the best airpistol I have found in that category is a 6mm@500+FPS muzzle velocity and while that will draw blood it won't take them down. Although if your aim is good a shot the face, especially the eye or earhole, could be fatal.
Under the stress of a home invasion I wouldn't count on hitting an eye or an ear.
There are a couple of revolvers made that will handle .410 shotgun rounds that make hitting the target even easier and hitting someone in another room through the wall less likely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIL_Thunder_5

http://www.taurususa.com/video-theJudge.cfm
Old 02-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
Under the stress of a home invasion I wouldn't count on hitting an eye or an ear.
There are a couple of revolvers made that will handle .410 shotgun rounds that make hitting the target even easier and hitting someone in another room through the wall less likely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIL_Thunder_5

http://www.taurususa.com/video-theJudge.cfm
That is the one they call the Judge or summat like that, has one hell of a kick I believe.

Since we are alone there will be no one in the next room, easier to patch the wall from a .38 or .9mm than a shotgun blast. Of course the bugger will probably bleed all over the broadloom.

Whatever we get there will certainly be time spent at the nearest range.

Taking a brief rest from cabinet work. I have several left over Yamaha cases that rather than use for firewood I will strip the vinyl and veneer them, then put them over in barter town.

Last edited by merrylander; 02-13-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:11 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
This is the part that concerns me more than the recoil. Saw some good advice on how women can do this on a neat website

www.corneredcat.com

Interesting lady.

But there is always the fallback position to a revolver. The county police here carry Sig Sauers, not sure which model. An interesting thing is that some local dealers carry reconditioned former police pistols. The whole topic can get confusing, I was always taught that weapons like the famous 1911 were pistols, the others were revolvers, shotguns and rifles. Guns were only to be found on big ships.

Last edited by merrylander; 02-13-2012 at 08:16 AM.