Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
It seems you're forgetting about the annual smog tests that many states require. I doubt that CARB, for instance, would even let these cars be tested unless the cheat were defeated. If it is defeated and no other mods are made. the cars will flunk and will therefore be unregisterable.
I am from California as you know.

Can you be forced by law to go to a recall?

How long will it take for CA to establish separate guidelines for VW cars re smog checks?

I don't think it is wise macro-economically to try and defeat a large company that employs thousands of workers in the USA.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
It seems you're forgetting about the annual smog tests that many states require. I doubt that CARB, for instance, would even let these cars be tested unless the cheat were defeated. If it is defeated and no other mods are made. the cars will flunk and will therefore be unregisterable.
These cars do pass smog! These cars sense when they are being tested and kicks in the pollution control features. They are defeated when on the road for increased performance and decreased mileage.

So fraud would be their biggest headache while the defeat mode is permanently disabled if this is possible at all. I can see a big market developing for a black market for engine control modules.

So VW may be forced to buy back the vehicles.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Can you be forced by law to go to a recall?
I doubt it.

Quote:
How long will it take for CA to establish separate guidelines for VW cars re smog checks?
Probably an hour or two. All you have to do is define a VIN range for the cheater vehicles and search the registration database for cars in that range and set up a program that kicks out any of the affected vehicles, including any coming in from out of state in the future. Then you flag them when they come up for registration renewal. You notify the owners that they must furnish proof that the issue has been fixed.

Quote:
I don't think it is wise macro-economically to try and defeat a large company that employs thousands of workers in the USA.
Neither do I but requiring VW to make things right isn't necessarily going to bury them.

Last edited by Boreas; 09-24-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:26 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
I doubt it.

Probably an hour or two. All you have to do is define a VIN range for the cheater vehicles and search the registration database for cars in that range and set up a program that kicks out any of the affected vehicles, including any coming in from out of state in the future. Then you flag them when they come up for registration renewal. You notify the owners that they must furnish proof that the issue has been fixed.

Neither do I but requiring VW to make things right isn't necessarily going to bury them.
Though not the last word on the issue, here's a reasonable take on the options for impacted VW owners:

http://www.wired.com/2015/09/vw-owne...fixes-diesels/

In effect, the choices seem to be reflash the computer to run in the test mode and thereby reduce power, torque and efficiency or install a Urea system at a cost of $6-8K per vehicle. In either instance, the owner gets something he didn't bargain for: less performance and greater fuel consumption; or the hassle and expense of keeping the urea tank topped off.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:29 AM

According to wiki only 17 states do bi-annual or annual smog checks.

So if you do not live in one ....nothing happens?
Old 09-24-2015, 11:34 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
According to wiki only 17 states do bi-annual or annual smog checks.

So if you do not live in one ....nothing happens?
I doubt the Federal government will stand by and allow impacted vehicles in 33 states to continue to operate as is.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I doubt the Federal government will stand by and allow impacted vehicles in 33 states to continue to operate as is.
How would they do that?
Wouldn't emissions testing be a state matter?

Would new legislation be required?
Old 09-24-2015, 12:10 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
How would they do that?
Wouldn't emissions testing be a state matter?

Would new legislation be required?
The Fed has (or can get) the VIN numbers and compel/negotiate a required fix with VW. The Fed could use coercive measures (e.g., withholding highway or other funds) to force noncompliant states to get on board with the fix. Where's there's a will, there's a way.

Reuters reports that a top economic analyst says that the impact of the VW problem on the German economy may exceed that of the Greek economic collapse.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0RN27S20150923

Last edited by finnbow; 09-24-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:27 PM
Mutated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Do the German CEOs have the same type of golden parachutes as many American CEOs, where, despite destroying a company, they leave with millions and millions in severance packages?

Regards,

D-Ray
Yes. The German drugstore tycoon Anton Schlecker killed his company by pathological greed, destroyed tenthousand workplaces and is still living in a villa and is still driving several Porsches. Just one example. He was a billionaire and obviously rescued some pocket money.

Last edited by HarmanKardon; 09-24-2015 at 12:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-24-2015, 12:32 PM
Mutated Member

By the way - don't worry! Volkswagen will overcome the crisis. The bill will be huge, I say: HUGE, but the company will overcome this situation. Absolutely no doubt about that. Hey - it's GERMANY!

But it will take some time until "Made in Germany" will be a spotless sign of quality again.

Last edited by HarmanKardon; 09-24-2015 at 01:19 PM.