Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Conspiracy theory corner
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:28 AM

Pot Kettle
Old 12-27-2016, 10:33 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I'm stunned that the NY Times is defending their product by dissing those who question their reporting! Stunned!
I see you still don't understand what "fake news" is and are still unashamed of being a dittohead.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I see you still don't understand what "fake news" is and are still unashamed of being a dittohead.
Sulzberger will be calling you. I think he wants to give you a raise.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:26 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Sulzberger will be calling you. I think he wants to give you a raise.
Whatever, dittohead.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:03 AM

Well, lookie here. Matt Taibbi, certainly no dittohead he, may actually be one of the first members of the left leaning press to ask the same questions I was asking in this thread weeks ago:

Something About This Russia Story Stinks

This dramatic story puts the news media in a jackpot. Absent independent verification, reporters will have to rely upon the secret assessments of intelligence agencies to cover the story at all.

Many reporters I know are quietly freaking out about having to go through that again. We all remember the WMD fiasco.

"It's déjà vu all over again" is how one friend put it.

More:

The problem with this story is that, like the Iraq-WMD mess, it takes place in the middle of a highly politicized environment during which the motives of all the relevant actors are suspect. Nothing quite adds up.

If the American security agencies had smoking-gun evidence that the Russians had an organized campaign to derail the U.S. presidential election and deliver the White House to Trump, then expelling a few dozen diplomats after the election seems like an oddly weak and ill-timed response. Voices in both parties are saying this now.

And this:

If the Russians messed with an election, that's enough on its own to warrant a massive response – miles worse than heavy-handed responses to ordinary spying episodes. Obama mentioning these humdrum tradecraft skirmishes feels like he's throwing something in to bolster an otherwise thin case.

Adding to the problem is that in the last months of the campaign, and also in the time since the election, we've seen an epidemic of factually loose, clearly politically motivated reporting about Russia. Democrat-leaning pundits have been unnervingly quick to use phrases like "Russia hacked the election."

There's lots more here, and its all good stuff and asks all the right questions. Including relevant questions about WaPo's sourcing for its article on fake news: you know the one that Finn bought hook, line and sinker but the one that WaPo has backed away from.

Not that too many of you here are interested in asking probing questions about anything that this current administration might be up to....
Old 12-31-2016, 11:00 AM

I find it curious that the right is so willing to believe Russia is innocent of any wrongdoing and will defend them to the end but will constantly finds fault and suspicion with our own president, even claiming he's not legit.

What does that tell you about the right? Tells me that their claims of "patriot" are bullshit.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:25 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Well, lookie here. Matt Taibbi, certainly no dittohead he, may actually be one of the first members of the left leaning press to ask the same questions I was asking in this thread weeks ago...
It takes true Trumpian logic to take an opinion piece that contains the following:

I have no problem believing that Vladimir Putin tried to influence the American election. He's gangster-spook-scum of the lowest order and capable of anything. And Donald Trump, too, was swine enough during the campaign to publicly hope the Russians would disclose Hillary Clinton's emails

as proof positive that articles by the Times and the Post in which the consensus of the intelligence community is correctly reported as fake news. Yet again, you show no capacity whatsoever to grasp what fake news is. You're probably among the 46% of Trump voters who actually believe that Hillary ran a child sex ring out of a pizza joint.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:28 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPots View Post
I find it curious that the right is so willing to believe Russia is innocent of any wrongdoing and will defend them to the end but will constantly finds fault and suspicion with our own president, even claiming he's not legit.

What does that tell you about the right? Tells me that their claims of "patriot" are bullshit.
Not so much bullshit, but suspect. However this goes for many politicians regardless of where they sit...patriotism is a convenient tool.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPots View Post

Just imagine what the GOP would say about Obama if he was as close to Putin as Trump.

The GOP is going to look the other way as long as they can mess with the safety net. Corruption, incompetence, nepotism...as long as Ryan can get his agenda done they will not give a damn what Trump does.

What is really odd is that he has this right wing cabinet that is definitely conservative and would fit right in with say a Pence presidency.

I think Trump's moral and intellectual center of gravity is pure self-interest.
So the the battle for his signature will be between the Alt-right and the Tea Party GOP. Scary.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
It takes true Trumpian logic to take an opinion piece that contains the following:

I have no problem believing that Vladimir Putin tried to influence the American election. He's gangster-spook-scum of the lowest order and capable of anything. And Donald Trump, too, was swine enough during the campaign to publicly hope the Russians would disclose Hillary Clinton's emails

as proof positive that articles by the Times and the Post in which the consensus of the intelligence community is correctly reported as fake news. Yet again, you show no capacity whatsoever to grasp what fake news is. You're probably among the 46% of Trump voters who actually believe that Hillary ran a child sex ring out of a pizza joint.

Nice job. You had to overlook quite a bit to select only those two paragraphs, as if they capture the context of the entire piece. Just like you to do that, Finn.

Also just like you to "overlook" in the article that the same poll you cite shows that that 50 percent of all Clinton voters believe the Russians hacked vote tallies. Even though hacking vote tallies would would have been nearly impossible, and no one in the intel community has made that allegation.

You Dems really are susceptible to fake news aren't you?