Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:34 AM
Area Man

Had a big meeting today........(A rant.)

We had our annual "State of the Business" meeting with all of the big wigs at work today. I'm not going to go through the whole thing, because it was two hours long and would bore you to death. Especially if your not familiar with the coffee business.

The thing that has stuck in my mind all day long is this. We were told that the company had a record year in 2010 and the first quarter of this year as far as growth and productivity goes, and we are looking forward to potentially better second and third quarter this year. We have accrued more than 17 million pounds of additional volume from one customer, and nearly 35 milion pounds from a new customer for the upcoming year. Cost saving goals have been met, and efficiency teams (OEE and CI, of which I am a part.) have made significant strides over the last year.

Sounds great, Huh? I thought so, until I heard this.....

"However, our earnings have been disappointing. We've barely broken even. Can anyone tell me why?"

Someone guessed "Taxes".---"Nope, our tax liabilities have not changed."

"Labor costs"---"Well there has been an increase in overtime, but that is commensurate with our increase in volume. So, no."

Another person said, "Fuel Costs."---"Well, that's part of it, but not the worst part. The price of fuel does push up the price of everything. But, that's not what is killing us."

"Okay, here's what it is."

"The worst part is commodities speculation. Folks on Wall Street buying green coffee, then reselling it at a higher price. That's all they do. They never even see what they bought. They don't do anything with it. These people basically produce nothing. All they do is artificially run up prices. And the price of green coffee has been jacked up nearly 200% over the last year, doing serious damage to profitability throughout the entire industry, despite everyones hard work. So far were managing, but if it continues much longer it makes the future very uncertain, things could get very tough......."

But, no...no.... I get on the internet, go to a political board similar to this one and post that I'm worried about my job, and what do I get from my fellow Americans?

"Damn unions..........."-(We have no union.)

"F**kin' Obama........."-(Didn't know he's a commodities trader.)

"Well, if you #@*&^% people would just do your *^%$# job!!!!"-(We do our jobs and do them damn well. That has NOTHING to do with it.)

You know, I am really getting tired of this shit. If I lose this job, it will be the second time I have lost a good job, through no fault of my own and had to listen to ignorant people heap all of the blame on me and my coworkers. Why do they do it? Because they believe all of the bullshit they hear from people like Limbaugh, Boortz, Hannity, et al. And I'll leave the reason why THOSE assholes do what they do up to your imagination.

The first time it was because the clowns at corporate went on a reckless aquisition spree, buying up every friggin' automotive parts company that went up for sale, with heavy debt and somehow managed to take on three billion, that's right BILLION with a "B", worth of asbestos claim liabilities. Went bankrupt and sold our division to a Canadian company that took the contracts and equipment home with them, because they had people at home that needed the work. (And I don't blame them for that.)

But, for years, every time I mentioned this to people I would get the same brainwashed stupidity----"Serves you right, you lazy $%#&^!!!" etc, etc, etc........

Where does it end? When are we gonna snap out of it? Huh? Because I'd really like to know.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 05-13-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:14 AM

I dunno Dave. People like you and I leave a little money in an IRA or mutual
fund because that's what we were led to believe is the best longterm. Now
that is just free money for them to move around and manipulate to their
advantage all the while costing us more at the pump and the Mr Coffee ect..
What do we do? Blame the right, vote for the left and get no change?
Organize a grass roots movement to stand up for what you believe in only
to be made out to be fools or evil by the media? We need something bigger,
a movement where we cash out and demand US made products. Total
boycotts of things not to our advantage. Are we as citizens going to do
that, NO so we get what we got.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchetJack View Post
I dunno Dave. People like you and I leave a little money in an IRA or mutual
fund because that's what we were led to believe is the best longterm. Now
that is just free money for them to move around and manipulate to their
advantage all the while costing us more at the pump and the Mr Coffee ect..
What do we do? Blame the right, vote for the left and get no change?
Organize a grass roots movement to stand up for what you believe in only
to be made out to be fools or evil by the media? We need something bigger,
a movement where we cash out and demand US made products. Total
boycotts of things not to our advantage. Are we as citizens going to do
that, NO so we get what we got.
Same in the U.K. Those who produce bugger all make the most money. I don't see how a boycott could help; as these leeches only acquire things on paper, there would be no tangible goods to boycott.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:04 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
We had our annual "State of the Business" meeting with all of the big wigs at work today. I'm not going to go through the whole thing, because it was two hours long and would bore you to death. Especially if your not familiar with the coffee business.

The thing that has stuck in my mind all day long is this. We were told that the company had a record year in 2010 and the first quarter of this year as far as growth and productivity goes, and we are looking forward to potentially better second and third quarter this year. We have accrued more than 17 million pounds of additional volume from one customer, and nearly 35 milion pounds from a new customer for the upcoming year. Cost saving goals have been met, and efficiency teams (OEE and CI, of which I am a part.) have made significant strides over the last year.

Sounds great, Huh? I thought so, until I heard this.....

"However, our earnings have been disappointing. We've barely broken even. Can anyone tell me why?"

Someone guessed "Taxes".---"Nope, our tax liabilities have not changed."

"Labor costs"---"Well there has been an increase in overtime, but that is commensurate with our increase in volume. So, no."

Another person said, "Fuel Costs."---"Well, that's part of it, but not the worst part. The price of fuel does push up the price of everything. But, that's not what is killing us."

"Okay, here's what it is."

"The worst part is commodities speculation. Folks on Wall Street buying green coffee, then reselling it at a higher price. That's all they do. They never even see what they bought. They don't do anything with it. These people basically produce nothing. All they do is artificially run up prices. And the price of green coffee has been jacked up nearly 200% over the last year, doing serious damage to profitability throughout the entire industry, despite everyones hard work. So far were managing, but if it continues much longer it makes the future very uncertain, things could get very tough......."

But, no...no.... I get on the internet, go to a political board similar to this one and post that I'm worried about my job, and what do I get from my fellow Americans?

"Damn unions..........."-(We have no union.)

"F**kin' Obama........."-(Didn't know he's a commodities trader.)

"Well, if you #@*&^% people would just do your *^%$# job!!!!"-(We do our jobs and do them damn well. That has NOTHING to do with it.)

You know, I am really getting tired of this shit. If I lose this job, it will be the second time I have lost a good job, through no fault of my own and had to listen to ignorant people heap all of the blame on me and my coworkers. Why do they do it? Because they believe all of the bullshit they hear from people like Limbaugh, Boortz, Hannity, et al. And I'll leave the reason why THOSE assholes do what they do up to your imagination.

The first time it was because the clowns at corporate went on a reckless aquisition spree, buying up every friggin' automotive parts company that went up for sale, with heavy debt and somehow managed to take on three billion, that's right BILLION with a "B", worth of asbestos claim liabilities. Went bankrupt and sold our division to a Canadian company that took the contracts and equipment home with them, because they had people at home that needed the work. (And I don't blame them for that.)

But, for years, every time I mentioned this to people I would get the same brainwashed stupidity----"Serves you right, you lazy $%#&^!!!" etc, etc, etc........

Where does it end? When are we gonna snap out of it? Huh? Because I'd really like to know.

Dave
another excellent post

wall street is killing american i can't see how anyone can disagree

trading has become a gimmick not a business investment. Speculation is but one "game".
Old 05-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

So, what do we do? Set prices by government fiat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
....."F**kin' Obama........."-(Didn't know he's a commodities trader.)
That would be Hillary

Pete
Old 05-13-2011, 10:11 AM

Coffee prices here have pretty much doubled in the last year and I have not heard of any real causes for this to happen. So price gouging occuring makes a lot of sense. Hope you aren't part of any cost cutting to appease stockholders.

Carl
Old 05-13-2011, 11:14 AM
Loyal Opposition

Broken record here, but our economy has become distorted to the extent that it values making money well above making products. How many of the richest people have been hedge fund managers?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 05-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Area Man

Carl and Hatchet,

But it's not price gouging on the part of my, or any other coffee manufacturers, part. This is people who have absolutely NOTHING to do with the business and contribute NOTHING to it, buying up the green beans before they leave the exporting nation, simply to hold it and drive up the price so they can resell and make money. Boycotting the product at the store would only do further damage to the domestic industry, and leave the real culprits unscathed.

There is nothing illegal about what they are doing. Unethical, perhaps, but not illegal. Anyone who wants to buy green coffee can do so. Really, this wasn't even the point of my post.

My point was this;

When are we going to stop blaming the wrong people for everything?

If my company and others go down the tubes over this, who gets blamed?

Obama has nothing to do with it.

The government has nothing to do with it.

"Welfare Queens" and elderly Medicare recipients have nothing to do with it.

Unions have nothing to do with it.

Liberals have nothing to do with it.

Gays have nothing to do with it.

"FemiNazis" didn't buy up those companies that carried toxic liabilities.

In both examples, who was it that did the damage?

WAS IT ME? NO!

Oooooo, don't you dare point a finger at those sacred cows. Blame them and conservatives have a fit. Because those are the people who-------create jobs?????????

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 05-13-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Area Man

I'm just a bit upset after that meeting, Fellas. You work hard, do everything right, and still some jackasses come along and ruin everything, just because they can. And then everyone blames you. It's so frustrating.

Dave
Old 05-13-2011, 12:32 PM

Well we could pull the plug on them by pulling our cash out but we see how
that worked out last time. Hell they spend all their money and ours too and
nothing we can do about it? One thing we don't talk about is the percentage
of profit retailers charge us. It seems no one crys foul over that but they
complain about interest on loans ect..
A tub of Folgers at Ingles is 11.99 right now while at Savelot it's 7.99 and
I assume they make a profit at that. What percentage are they making
off us?