Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
You overlook the fact that they're all renowned and accomplished economists and all former chairs of the White House Council of Economic Advisers and that they have access to real data and real experts, not to mention decades of experience.
Who are you referring to? The folks that wrote the WaPo article?

Quote:
Conversely, there isn't a single credible economist alive who believes that the recent supply-side tax cuts will actually grow our way out of the deficit.
You're arguing about an assertion that no one is making. Trump hasn't made that assertion, and I don't think anyone in the current administration has stated that they plan to "grow their way out of the deficit".
Old 04-11-2018, 05:27 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Who are you referring to? The folks that wrote the WaPo article?
Yep. Martin Neil Baily, Jason Furman, Alan B. Krueger, Laura D’Andrea Tyson and Janet L. Yellen are all former chairs of the White House Council of Economic Advisers.

Quote:
You're arguing about an assertion that no one is making. Trump hasn't made that assertion, and I don't think anyone in the current administration has stated that they plan to "grow their way out of the deficit".
April 2017: “The tax plan will pay for itself with economic growth.” – Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin

Trump Promised to Eliminate National Debt in Eight Years.

Give up. You just embarrassing yourself now.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:42 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

GOP Sen. Bob Corker is having second thoughts about his vote on the new tax reform law, now that there's a clearer price tag for the bill.

During a Senate Budget Committee hearing with the Congressional Budget Office, Corker bemoaned the large amount of new federal debt that is projected to pile up due to the new law.

"If it ends up costing what has been laid out here, it could well be one of the worst votes I've made," Corker said...

"This Congress and this administration likely will go down as one of the most fiscally irresponsible administrations and Congresses that we've had."

http://www.businessinsider.com/bob-c...tax-law-2018-4

It took him this long to realize this? And he's one of the relatively reasonable and intelligent Republicans.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Yep. Martin Neil Baily, Jason Furman, Alan B. Krueger, Laura D’Andrea Tyson and Janet L. Yellen are all former chairs of the White House Council of Economic Advisers.
They all were involved in writing that WaPo op-ed? Have a citation for that?

Quote:
April 2017: “The tax plan will pay for itself with economic growth.” – Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin

Trump Promised to Eliminate National Debt in Eight Years.

Give up. You just embarrassing yourself now.
Mnuchin was talking about replacing revenue not resolving debt. There's a difference. Please tell me you at least understand that much.

As for Trump's promises about spending cuts, yeah, I agree that the current PROJECTIONS are troubling. But I projections aren't actual spending. We'll see what happens.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:11 PM
Ready

Quote:
As for Trump's promises about spending cuts, yeah, I agree that the current PROJECTIONS are troubling. But I projections aren't actual spending. We'll see what happens.
In other words, when the transparent GOP plan to slash medicare and social security is revealed, 'forced' by the necessity of remedying the huge deficits, you'll be all for it.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:34 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Look at the feckin' article. It's splashed right across the top. WTF?

Quote:
Mnuchin was talking about replacing revenue not resolving debt. There's a difference. Please tell me you at least understand that much.
He said “The tax plan will pay for itself with economic growth.” The only way to understand that is to he is saying that the $1.5 trillion tax cut will be paid for by at least $1.5 trillion in additional tax revenue generated by growth. You're probably stupid enough to believe that.

Quote:
What's your projection, Mr. Supply Side guru? Are you also projecting an additional $1.5 trillion in tax revenue from the additional growth spurred by this bill like yer boy Mnuchin? Jeez.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Seriously? Did you miss this very obvious credit right at the top of the article? Obviously they all agree with the contents, or they certainly wouldn't have put their name on it. Are you really this dense?

By Martin Neil Baily, Jason Furman, Alan B. Krueger, Laura D'Andrea Tyson and Janet L. Yellen
Old 04-11-2018, 08:48 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
In other words, when the transparent GOP plan to slash medicare and social security is revealed, 'forced' by the necessity of remedying the huge deficits, you'll be all for it.
Bingo.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
He said “The tax plan will pay for itself with economic growth.” The only way to understand that is to he is saying that the $1.5 trillion tax cut will be paid for by at least $1.5 trillion in additional tax revenue generated by growth. You're probably stupid enough to believe that.
Only because it works every time it has been tried.

Quote:
What's your projection, Mr. Supply Side guru? Are you also projecting an additional $1.5 trillion in tax revenue from the additional growth spurred by this bill like yer boy Mnuchin? Jeez.
I think its quite possible to see an increase in tax revenues following the tax cuts. Yes. It only takes simple math to model how it might work, so I guess its understandable how you might fail to understand it.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
You're getting almost as bad as Finn when it comes to trying to put words in other folk's mouths. Have fun with that.