Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:09 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Really. I had refrained from comment, because I really like Zeke and respect his opinions.

However, I have always found that a little intelligence and common sense was sufficient to keep me out of trouble. I've always thought that people who NEED the threat of eternal damnation to keep them in line must be a little soft in the head to begin with.

After all, A stupid thing is a stupid thing, whether your a believer, or not. Unless you're stupid. Are ya feelin' me?

Dave
Whoa Dave, I never thought about eternal damnation as a reason for being compassionate. I guess I have looked at it in the way a Franciscan Monk spoke in one sermon (yes we did attend church for a while). He said we speak of "God, The Father" and many of you are fathers. So do your children not on occasion do things that make you weep, but you do not cease to love them. How then should our heavenly Father, who is so much better then we are, stop loving us.

Well that I hope captures the gist of his sermon; another thing that governs my actions. When Jesus was asked which are the greatest Commandments He responded " . . .and the second is like unto it, thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." I guess I was in my forties when it dawned on me that if I did not love myself, then I could not possibly love my neighbour, or anyone else for that matter. Up until that point I had been my greatest critic, and not necessarily a kind critic. Now, although I see my faults, I also see my good qualities and tend to concentrate on the latter and seek to correct the former.

But that is just me and may not necessaily work for others.

There was a quotation that the late King George VI used in his New Years message to the Commonwealth;

"I said to the man who stood at the door to the New Year, give me a lamp for the way is dark and I know not the path. He said to me, Go forth and put your hand into the hand of God, that shall be better unto you than any known way or path." Sorry, that's from memory so I may not have it right, it has been a goodly number of years.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Whoa Dave, I never thought about eternal damnation as a reason for being compassionate. I guess I have looked at it in the way a Franciscan Monk spoke in one sermon (yes we did attend church for a while). He said we speak of "God, The Father" and many of you are fathers. So do your children not on occasion do things that make you weep, but you do not cease to love them. How then should our heavenly Father, who is so much better then we are, stop loving us.

Well that I hope captures the gist of his sermon; another thing that governs my actions. When Jesus was asked which are the greatest Commandments He responded " . . .and the second is like unto it, thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." I guess I was in my forties when it dawned on me that if I did not love myself, then I could not possibly love my neighbour, or anyone else for that matter. Up until that point I had been my greatest critic, and not necessarily a kind critic. Now, although I see my faults, I also see my good qualities and tend to concentrate on the latter and seek to correct the former.

But that is just me and may not necessaily work for others.

There was a quotation that the late King George VI used in his New Years message to the Commonwealth;

"I said to the man who stood at the door to the New Year, give me a lamp for the way is dark and I know not the path. He said to me, Go forth and put your hand into the hand of God, that shall be better unto you than any known way or path." Sorry, that's from memory so I may not have it right, it has been a goodly number of years.
Rob, I believe you've put it in a nutshell.

You don't ask "God" to forgive your transgressions, you ask yourself to forgive your transgressions. But it only works if you're sincere enough with yourself to realize that this isn't a career opportunity.

Chas
Old 01-08-2012, 12:02 PM

Most of my praying is of the foxhole variety. I think the Good Lord is ok with that though. I reckon he knows if you're trying or not, and what's really in every man's heart.

Now, let us raise the Black Flag and get this Chinese debt thing done and over with.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Area Man

Maybe Y'all missed the point?

"I was quite literally force-fed Christianity by my psychotic mother. The only religion I ever took an interest in voluntarily was Bhuddism. Which drove her to distraction in the summer of 2002. She thought it was the end of all things sacred and holy to find a copy of "I Ching" in my car. She told me I made her "sick" for looking outside her faith. I nearly reminded her that I stopped giving a damn what she thought when I was 10.

But, I couldn't do that to Pops. Poor guy never would have heard the end of it.

Dave"

What compassion? I was beaten. Whipped with an extension cord at the age of ten. "God" didn't seem to give a shit. Sorry, but that's what's real to me.

Dave
Old 01-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Area Man

Time for me to bow out for a while. At least out of this thread. It's taking me places I don't care to visit.

Dave
Old 01-09-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
"I was quite literally force-fed Christianity by my psychotic mother. The only religion I ever took an interest in voluntarily was Bhuddism. Which drove her to distraction in the summer of 2002. She thought it was the end of all things sacred and holy to find a copy of "I Ching" in my car. She told me I made her "sick" for looking outside her faith. I nearly reminded her that I stopped giving a damn what she thought when I was 10.

But, I couldn't do that to Pops. Poor guy never would have heard the end of it.

Dave"

What compassion? I was beaten. Whipped with an extension cord at the age of ten. "God" didn't seem to give a shit. Sorry, but that's what's real to me.

Dave
Well, I can see why you're kinda sour on religion.

I just had to sit there for years, watching the clock run backwards, while the preacher managed to put everyone else to sleep other than myself.

They even tried to hypnotize once, it order to lead me to the light.

Now that was a waste of time.

The best I remember, my folks never tried to beat religion into me. Everything else, but not religion. And my Dad, as much as I love him, would still be kicking my ass if I hadn't given him an uppercut followed by a cross.

Chas
Old 01-09-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Time for me to bow out for a while. At least out of this thread. It's taking me places I don't care to visit.

Dave

I understand........................................ ......................................
Old 01-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Well, I can see why you're kinda sour on religion.

I just had to sit there for years, watching the clock run backwards, while the preacher managed to put everyone else to sleep other than myself.

They even tried to hypnotize once, it order to lead me to the light.

Now that was a waste of time.

The best I remember, my folks never tried to beat religion into me. Everything else, but not religion. And my Dad, as much as I love him, would still be kicking my ass if I hadn't given him an uppercut followed by a cross.

Chas
Not "sour on religion", sour on fanaticism and the desire of some to press their beliefs on others, either directly or through some socio-political fiat.

Show up on my doorstep trying to make me feel un-American, or ashamed of myself for not sharing your religious beliefs-----and you'll end up running from me.

And that's a promise.

Dave
Old 01-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post
I understand........................................ ......................................
Thank you.

Dave
Old 01-10-2012, 08:08 AM
Resident octogenarian

Florence would understand for reasons I won't go into.