Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
My ex-wife had to put down our 16.5 year old beagle, Dante, yesterday when she visited her folks who kept him on a lake in MN for his final Summer. It was almost as if he hung on for her to return home for Christmas and was ready to "leave" with her.

Anywho, respectfully, I disagree with your assessment.

I'm not saying it doesn't occur, it just doesn't regarding any pet owner I've ever known.
I know maybe a bad choice to compare,But I put it out there for the It happens bunch of people that do it selfishly.

Ike And Zeke I apologize And My condolences on your losses and any one else I might have offended,
Old 12-28-2013, 09:03 AM
reflexionar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
My ex-wife had to put down our 16.5 year old beagle, Dante, yesterday when she visited her folks who kept him on a lake in MN for his final Summer. It was almost as if he hung on for her to return home for Christmas and was ready to "leave" with her.

Anywho, respectfully, I disagree with your assessment.

I'm not saying it doesn't occur, it just doesn't regarding any pet owner I've ever known.
True fact. Most pet owners I know would rather put down a relative than their pet.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:10 AM
Loyal Opposition

I think that most of us would only have a pet put down to end suffering for the pet. We were "fortunate" that our Dachshund saved us the choice by passing quickly when her time came. There are some, however, for whom the choice is merely one of convenience. My son worked for a vet when one owner brought in a cat to be put down because it would "urinate inappropriately."

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 12-28-2013, 09:23 AM

This World is a tough cookie to crack sometimes.I have never looked at death as morbid,but as a stepping stone.death is inevitable for all of us "no one here gets out Alive" just ask Mr. Morrison when you see him.My parents wished to die at home.And I made them a Promise they would not see a nursing home.unfortunately they both died in a hospital room.But I would like to think that was ok.Life and Death for the most part should be spelled out in a will ,DNR or any type of document as to a persons wishes.Me and My wife have DNR's And also our buriel plans.What it all boils down to it the individual's wishes so I say make plans for your death ahead of time it will be easier for the living.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by one1 View Post
Ike we also went through that process or Dog Nellie was 14 years old and on her deathbed when we took her in we had set up arrangements with the doctor to get a shot ready to stop here death spiral.but fortunately she died in my wifes arms.that was some real hard shit to take we loved that dog like a daughter a human.daughter.

Sir please You take this too personal(what I mean is there are others that this statement is meant).I posted that in a genorility sense,with a lot of pet owners they just see them as animals with no souls or feelings I apologise you took it personal.some owners would just as soon put them down than go through a simple surgical proceedure. and that is the truth I have worked whith a lady that did just that.
OK fine...if you say so. But your comment was a blanket, global comment...you didn't say "some people".

I also understand that culturally some do not see their animals as "pet"...farm families in particular, where critters are kept primarily for the service they provide...dogs for security and to keep down rats...cats to eliminate smaller "vermin".
Old 12-28-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
OK fine...if you say so. But your comment was a blanket, global comment...you didn't say "some people".

I also understand that culturally some do not see their animals as "pet"...farm families in particular, where critters are kept primarily for the service they provide...dogs for security and to keep down rats...cats to eliminate smaller "vermin".
As are most posts on here blanketed thus not personified,but i goofed and it is what it is.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:14 AM

Life no matter who is the recipeint,Is precious and any more we take Life for Granted.even down to the ingestion of our meals.the mere animals that were born fed and slaughtered so that we might live another day.death is death natural or through murder.when we see on the news the death tolls in a disaster we chew on it for a while and it is forgoten maybe a few posts show up.But in reality death in society any more is taken Lightly except for the ones affected and close to it.even I do not understand death and why it happens,yes it happens from holes placed in the body by gunshot or from complications of illneses.but the reason for it to be death.and this is a blanket statement.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:17 AM

Did you notice how the legal zoom ad popped up in the ad box, coincedence,Maybe,better get those wills done.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:37 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I'm all in favor of legalizing assisted suicide. When it comes to death, society treats a dog better than they treat humans.

Chas
Quote:
Assisted in my opinion is murder it only takes the one person to take their own life.that said sometimes a DNR is not available so issues pop up.I have a DNR and it is amended to My wife And Our Freind.to if no brain activity or organ failure turn off life support.And let die natrualy no assisted means.But in some cases a legal use of injection should be allowed but only if the person says so on DNR
Quote:
I think in the case of pets it is more for Convienience and cost than doing the right thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
How the fuck do you know? Were you in the vet's examination room with me when my 6 year old cat was dying of leukemia and we all decided it was time to let him go? He wasn't eating, he wasn't drinking he wasn't doing anything buy lying around waiting to die. And he was having huge seizures three or four times a day.

Convenience...my ass. What TF wrong with you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
Yes, it is much more humane to let the person die of starvation/dehydration that it is to speed up the process a couple hours/days possibly weeks. You have to remember that in the vast majority of these situations, the "person" is long past the point of having the means to take their own life, and most would have already been gone if not for artificial support of some form.
I agree 100%, Charles.

However, the following posts are the perfect example why this is a complicated issue. To some, it's "Choose Life!" at all costs. The Schaivo incident was a glaring example of that. I'm not going to re-argue that particular case except to say that the whole thing was political and ridiculous, IMO.

I disagree with Cleon......100% on both counts. To my mind, if someone is miserable, has no fight left in them and has decided of their own free will that it's time to go, it is not just wrong, it is cruel to force them to go on living in misery. The "assistant" is not a murderer, if it is clear that he/she is only helping the afflicted carry out their will in a quick, painless, humane manor, IMO.

The hardest decision I have had to make, (recently), was letting go of my Dalmatians. I loved them both tremendously, but they were very old and very sick. I held on until everyone around me, including the vet, pointed out the degree of suffering they were going through and that it was never going to get any "better"..

Money and "convenience" had nothing to do with it.

Dave
Old 12-28-2013, 10:40 AM

My condolences Dave.