Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:10 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPots View Post
Both rights are being abused to the point where we as a society will have eventually rescind them or risk totally failing.
Too alarmist, I hope, that part about 'risk totally failing.'

There is certainly reason to restrict more the most dangerous guns, the big-magazine autoloaders. They may be used in relatively few crimes, but those few seems to include the very worst. Still, I'm not sure a society of 320 million need be seen as 'failing' due to these very few but very high profile crimes.

And while freedom of expression seems to have given rise to Trump, it still allows free opposition to him, and I expect the opposition to prevail in the end. Hate to lose this sort of thing:

https://youtu.be/kygQLLhos5k
Old 06-17-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Too alarmist, I hope, that part about 'risk totally failing.'

There is certainly reason to restrict more the most dangerous guns, the big-magazine autoloaders. They may be used in relatively few crimes, but those few seems to include the very worst. Still, I'm not sure a society of 320 million need be seen as 'failing' due to these very few but very high profile crimes.

And while freedom of expression seems to have given rise to Trump, it still allows free opposition to him, and I expect the opposition to prevail in the end. Hate to lose this sort of thing:

https://youtu.be/kygQLLhos5k
I understood Mr. Pots post as a comment on Citizen's United and the rise of Hillary as a beacon of democracy.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:24 AM

Discussion over AK has gone into this territory.
My feeling is the 2nd needs revue re technology and times, as should others re making dire threats vs 1st Amendment.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2016, 08:37 PM

I find it puzzling how many people are passionately in favor of bringing in refugees who were raised in violent cultures, when many of those same people have insisted for a couple generations now that U.S. children be kept shielded from anything that even resembles a gun (including partially eaten pop tarts).

If reducing violence and pacifying the population is so important, I'd think they would only want to accept immigrants from more passive cultures.

Last edited by Wasillaguy; 06-17-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
I find it puzzling how many people are passionately in favor of bringing in refugees who were raised in violent cultures, when many of those same people have insisted for a couple generations now that U.S. children be kept shielded from anything that even resembles a gun (including partially eaten pop tarts).

If reducing violence and pacifying the population is so important, I'd think they would only want to accept immigrants from more passive cultures.
Well, since Um...America is one of the most violent cultures in the modern world I guess all their hand wringing is pointless isn't it. We're probably teaching those refugees new tricks.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPots View Post
Well, since Um...America is one of the most violent cultures in the modern world I guess all their hand wringing is pointless isn't it. We're probably teaching those refugees new tricks.
So these do gooders are bringing people in so they can live in a more dangerous society? And the justification is what?
Old 06-17-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:

Many nations think we are a violent culture. In Iraq AK-47s are everywhere.
There are assault weapons everywhere in the United States also. And many of these refugees fleeing the Middle East are running from violence. I would run if the only choice I faced was ISIS and Assad and my city was in ruins.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Many nations think we are a violent culture. In Iraq AK-47s are everywhere.
There are assault weapons everywhere in the United States also. And many of these refugees fleeing the Middle East are running from violence. I would run if the only choice I faced was ISIS and Assad and my city was in ruins.
Sure, I'd run too. What I don't get is why we are bringing in, almost exclusively, those who were raised IN the culture of violence, rather than those who have been in a part of the culture that have tried to avoid it. The sects and other religions that are being executed are the ones who need protection, and will more readily adapt to a peaceful society. Many of the adults being let in were probably shooting automatic weapons and learning a life of hate and violence before they were 8. Even the bible thumping rednecks aren't screwing their kids up that bad. You don't see the Methodists burning the Baptists, for instance.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:05 PM
Ready

Quote:
Sure, I'd run too. What I don't get is why we are bringing in, almost exclusively, those who were raised IN the culture of violence, rather than those who have been in a part of the culture that have tried to avoid it. The sects and other religions that are being executed are the ones who need protection, and will more readily adapt to a peaceful society. Many of the adults being let in were probably shooting automatic weapons and learning a life of hate and violence before they were 8. Even the bible thumping rednecks aren't screwing their kids up that bad. You don't see the Methodists burning the Baptists, for instance.
I think you have an exaggerated view of who is how violent. 'Many of the adults being let in were probably shooting automatic weapons and learning a life of hate and violence before they were 8?' Where do you get that? Just your impression from shit you see and read?

My impression is that even in these 'violent places,' most people aren't psycho killers or anything. Like, it's bad, but it's not Mad Max. The real violent ones get killed in turn, or they stay in the shit. They don't present as normal guys with wife and kids in the refugee mix.

And where do you get this: "What I don't get is why we are bringing in, almost exclusively, those who were raised IN the culture of violence, rather than those who have been in a part of the culture that have tried to avoid it." Who says this is who we are 'bringing in?"
Old 06-17-2016, 10:05 PM

That was the Bosnian/Serbian insurrection pitting Christians against Moslems. We helped end it and the Christian war crimes against the Moslem population.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk